IGNORED

USB to TI99/4A Keyboard converter by F.G. Kaal

Schmitzi

It looks like a worth while project for someone with a steady hand to take on, as it has Basic mode. Which means my TI Basic Plus project would not require Microkey or TI Keys. I'm currently using two TI Consoles with Jedimatt42's TI USB device and Microkey (commercial) while I work on TI Keys as replacement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

JediMatt42 did a USB keyboard project a couple of years ago. If I had not already had the wired PS/2 project designed by Tursi installed, I would have gone with Matt's. I'm happy though, it works great and matches the console.

Thing is, depending on your keyboard model, the TI keyboard may suck in terms of keys it has and doesn't have, but that HP keyboard sucks and is a mushy, gummy mess of a keyboard. Of course I still like my Alps salmon switch boards the best, but they don't make them anymore. :(

Eh, I get by with my HP PS/2 keyboard and have no problems with it. The beauty of Matt's USB keyboard adapter is that there is nearly no limit to the number of currently available keyboards. You could go with a cheap wired keyboard all the way up to an super expensive wireless model with mechanical switches, the choice is yours.

Until someone good at new hardware construction ability builds and tests Fred Kaal's new USB keyboard adapter, we just won't know which might be most preferred. Maybe the one that adds USB/Serial mouse interface first. We've had several functional serial mouse interface and software for the TI and a buss mouse for the Geneve. The SNUG TI-99/P has a serial mouse interface also, so a USB/Serial mouse would be very welcome.

Additional compatible objects are always good, as that allows someone to build the device they are most comfortable with. The real issue comes on the interfacing side: if they all connect transparently to the console and use compatible software hooks for the components that programs can use, then all options are good choices and it boils down to personal preference. That is a really good place to be. . .

Until someone good at new hardware construction ability builds and tests Fred Kaal's new USB keyboard adapter, we just won't know which might be most preferred. Maybe the one that adds USB/Serial mouse interface first. We've had several functional serial mouse interface and software for the TI and a buss mouse for the Geneve. The SNUG TI-99/P has a serial mouse interface also, so a USB/Serial mouse would be very welcome.

Most people could go make an informed decision by reading. Both USB keyboard adapters have details about features and assembly on their respective websites.

Mice have very little to do with keyboard adapters in the TI space, so I wouldn't ever expect a single device to handle both.

-M@

Most people could go make an informed decision by reading. Both USB keyboard adapters have details about features and assembly on their respective websites.

Mice have very little to do with keyboard adapters in the TI space, so I wouldn't ever expect a single device to handle both.

-M@

However, both of my USB equipped TI-99/4A consoles are connected via USB wireless keyboard/mouse KVM, so it would be nice in my case. How many others might also think so?

It might be possible to connect a Teensy to TiPi and let you use your KVM that way. That's a little fiddly for a couple of different reasons though. For one, you want to be able to use a keyboard on the Pi to control the Pi now and then for debugging and other things. For another, this would add a lot of cable mess. The other thing is you'd need to connect TiPi to the AVR sitting inside your console. This starts to get irritating if you ever want to move the thing. But it should be doable.

Unless there is a reason Matt can think of why it wouldn't work? I still don't have a TiPi. :( I do now have a 32k! I couldn't get both, and I think Matt's still soldering the next batch of TiPis anyway.

It might be possible to connect a Teensy to TiPi and let you use your KVM that way. That's a little fiddly for a couple of different reasons though. For one, you want to be able to use a keyboard on the Pi to control the Pi now and then for debugging and other things. For another, this would add a lot of cable mess. The other thing is you'd need to connect TiPi to the AVR sitting inside your console. This starts to get irritating if you ever want to move the thing. But it should be doable.

Unless there is a reason Matt can think of why it wouldn't work? I still don't have a TiPi. :( I do now have a 32k! I couldn't get both, and I think Matt's still soldering the next batch of TiPis anyway

My fingers are very hardware limited, so I won't be using this approach.