IGNORED

Commodore VIC II Chip MOS 6567 needed, compatibility questions...

Just snagged an original 1983 C64 from an older gentlemans attic. Having some unusual colors, and I've got "Jail Bars." My thought is the VIC-II chip is shot. the VIC II Chip in this particular computer is a ceramic and gold MOS 6567, can i replace this with any VIC II chip? I see a couple of different number designations on ebay. is there a better source for a replacement chip?

Just snagged an original 1983 C64 from an older gentlemans attic. Having some unusual colors, and I've got "Jail Bars." My thought is the VIC-II chip is shot. the VIC II Chip in this particular computer is a ceramic and gold MOS 6567, can i replace this with any VIC II chip? I see a couple of different number designations on ebay. is there a better source for a replacement chip?

I think you are safe as long as you stay with the 65xx since they are 12 volt. The newer 85xx (HMOS) series is 5 volt.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

I think you are safe as long as you stay with the 65xx since they are 12 volt. The newer 85xx (HMOS) series is 5 volt.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

cant believe how steep these chips are on Ebay, 30-40 bucks. ouch.

Edited by VicViper

cant believe how steep these chips are on Ebay, 30-40 bucks. ouch.

Yeah, especially since there are so many 64s out there in the world.

You know to toss the original power supply right? Or get/make a saver circuit?

Take this for what it is worth, but comparatively speaking that price is about the same as BITD.

Like sm3 said, stick with the 6567s in that older board. The ceramic chip may be an older model and most of the ones you can find in plenty is the R8. That said, I recall reading before that if you ground the metal strip on the ceramic chip you can abate the video artifacts.

Take this for what it is worth, but comparatively speaking that price is about the same as BITD.

Like sm3 said, stick with the 6567s in that older board. The ceramic chip may be an older model and most of the ones you can find in plenty is the R8. That said, I recall reading before that if you ground the metal strip on the ceramic chip you can abate the video artifacts.

do you mean the strip running along the top of it?

do you mean the strip running along the top of it?

Yes. It connects with the metal cap over the die. Some units have a metal "arm" which protrude down from the chunky metal VIC-II section RF shield to the chip coupled with a thermal paste. On plastic chips this is easily for heat dissipation but it would also provide an electrical path for these ceramic chips.

While I am certain of what I have seen and read, since I have never done this my inkling would be to check between the 12V power pin and that strip to make sure I was not getting ready to ground out the power supply.

Back in the day they were pricey as replacement parts because they were still in production. My friend had a dead 64 back then and he replaced it with a C64c because it was too expensive to get it fixed. It sat in his closet until I took it in 2014. I fixed it with a $5 6510 MPU. But the prices have drastically shot up over the past couple of years. In 2014/15 I bought a couple of VIC chips and other replacement chips for $3 to $6 a piece. It was quite common, even on eBay to get these chips under $10. Now people are playing on the whole retro thing and the prices have been inflated.