IGNORED

Raiders of the Lost Ark plays end of theme on restart

Keith Weisshar

On restart, all variables are zeroed (including the music pointer at Ram $A4), but the 24-byte data table at Rom $FBE8 is read in reverse. When 16 frames has passed at routine $F2FB, the pointer is updated (decremented). Only when it falls -below- zero, it is reset to 23...beginning the tune over again at the correct note. So the fix could have been to reset the pointer to 23 (instead of zero) at game restart, or have the data table read forwards instead of backwards. Apparently, HSW didn't feel it was significant enough to correct.

• Like 3

Routine $F314 handles the flute, dividing the frame counter (Ram $82) by 16 and using that index for the 16-byte note data at $FAEE (i.e. this table is read forwards). The death animation routine at $F398 also uses the frame counter.

Didnt catch this explanation until now. Thanks Nukey. I always wondered that about the opening theme music.

And on a related side note, ever since I was a kid, I always thought it interesting how the flute music gets an extra beat while your walking (stepping). I enjoy that.

• Like 1