IGNORED

Klax Arcade Machine Question

justclaws

Looks like an original cabinet that's pictured on the arcade flyer. Very ugly and plain for an Atari cabinet, even the side art was nothing more than a small square piece slapped on like a cheap conversion. The arcade scene was dying by that point and I think Atari just said screw it...get them out as cheaply as possible.

It's JAMMA, so nothing special. Atari also sold a generic conversion kit and a cabaret which actually looks a bit better than the full size.

that is a dedicated klax. Its an atari drawer cabinet. The same cab was used for skull and crossbones, badlands, escape from the planet of the robot monsters, and 2 player cyberball(plus a few protos). I like them because the drawer slides out from the front to easily change the board. Control panel is hinged at the front. It is wired as jamma, but it essntially 2 4 way sticks and player 1 and 2 star buttons. So you will need to add buttons to make it useful. The good news is that since it was a family cab, the harness should be pretty well populated. So adding buttons should be pretty easy (cab should be wired up the the molex for 2 joystick and 3 button).

There is no unique hardware to this cab other than it uses 4 way atari logo sticks. It should have a wells k7000 in it. Grab it if you can klax is fun game! I would say Anything under $300 is a good deal in the usa, Not sure prices in the uk.

Edited by mr.bill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love playing this one at the local arcade in the early 90s, and then on Lynx at home. It's a great concept; one of the few games of the "Tetris clone" craze that I actually enjoy just as much as Tetris.

Nowadays I fire it up on my MAME cabinet occasionally, but I just can't get into it much because the difficulty ramps up too abruptly and it just feels pointless to play. I don't know if I just lost all my skill for the game or if I just didn't notice/care back then, but I simply don't know what you're supposed to do when you have one paddle that can hold 5 or so tiles, and they start coming at you like 500 at a time.