IGNORED

How about selling roms of discontinued games?

jblenkle

Considering the number of games marked as "discontinued" or "only a few left" on CollectorVision's web page...perhaps CollectorVision should consider selling roms of these games at a reasonable price so people who missed out on buying the cartridges can enjoy the games via emulation or on the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart.

I, for one, considering the vast number of ColecoVision games that are coming out these days, can't always afford to buy many of the cartridges when they are released.

As such, are we to be forever excluded from obtaining or playing these games? It really makes no sense whatsoever to deny ColecoVision fans access to discontinued cartridge games.

• Like 5

Considering the number of games marked as "discontinued" or "only a few left" on CollectorVision's web page...perhaps CollectorVision should consider selling roms of these games at a reasonable price so people who missed out on buying the cartridges can enjoy the games via emulation or on the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart.

I, for one, considering the vast number of ColecoVision games that are coming out these days, can't always afford to buy many of the cartridges when they are released.

As such, are we to be forever excluded from obtaining or playing these games? It really makes no sense whatsoever to deny ColecoVision fans access to discontinued cartridge games.

Yeah, I'm thinking about this since awhile now....

I'm just not sure yet on how to manage all this

Paypal payment, Patreon etc...

Any good ideas on how to manage this?

• Like 1

Well, it's been awhile since I've messed with selling things using PayPal (sports photos I had taken), but I used to have a page where you clicked on a link for the photo and size you wanted and it added it to your PayPal cart. It was amazingly easy to set up.

You could set up something similar so people could click on the link for the game they wanted and once you receive confirmation they've paid, you just email them the rom.

I believe it was under the heading of "Merchant Services" on the PayPal page.

Or sell them the same way you sell the actual physical game.

Thanks for considering this!!!

Yeah, I'm thinking about this since awhile now....

I'm just not sure yet on how to manage all this
Paypal payment, Patreon etc...

Any good ideas on how to manage this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a firmware update to the ATARIMAX cartridges a digital serial number could be assigned to each cartridge. Then when someone purchases a copywrited rom image online, that rom image would only run on that persons Ultimate SD cartridge since the serial numbers would need to match up. The same serial number checking technique could be created for ColecoVision/ADAM emulators for PC’s and portable devices.

Some game developers are afraid to spend months or years making a great game, only to find out that someone posted the rom image online for 1,000+ people to download for free. Having some type of serial number checking process would prevent the rom image from loading on unauthorized devices. I know this is not as good as unbreakable 256 bit encryption, however this would prevent most people from pirating the videogame since only a knowledgeable programmer would know where to edit the rom image to remove the digital serial number copy protection technique.

Edited by HDTV1080P

OK, so each rom has a digital serial number and will only run on that person's AtariMax...or a particular emulator.

Do you want to know why this is a stupid idea???

1.) If you have an AtariMax, each person would have to have their own firmware update with their own unique serial number...and that would also mean that every rom that person has from multiple publishers would have to have the same serial number or you would be dealing with multiple firmware updates to play different games from different publishers.

2.) Playing on an emulator...same problem as above except compounded by the fact there are multiple ColecoVision and ADAM emulators. I don't always use the same emulator to play games with. So again you are faced with having multiple emulators with multiple serial numbers coded into them from multiple publishers for multiple games.

Do you really think anyone wants to deal with that headache?

With a firmware update to the ATARIMAX cartridges a digital serial number could be assigned to each cartridge. Then when someone purchases a copywrited rom image online, that rom image would only run on that persons Ultimate SD cartridge since the serial numbers would need to match up. The same serial number checking technique could be created for ColecoVision/ADAM emulators for PC’s and portable devices.

Some game developers are afraid to spend months or years making a great game, only to find out that someone posted the rom image online for 1,000+ people to download for free. Having some type of serial number checking process would prevent the rom image from loading on unauthorized devices. I know this is not as good as unbreakable 256 bit encryption, however this would prevent most people from pirating the videogame since only a knowledgeable programmer would know where to edit the rom image to remove the digital serial number copy protection technique.

• Like 1

In the cartridge main screen would be listed the serial number. When downloading the game one would enter the serial number for their cartridge or emulator.

There are several different forms of copy protection and encryption technology out there if one wants to use it. Walters Software and some others used copy protection for the ADAM computer in the late 80’s. Its up to the hardware and game developers to decide what they want to come up with. It’s nice that the technology is there in case someone wants to use it.