IGNORED

Power Supply for Atari XEGS?

amstrudy

I was gifted an Atari XEGS with a joystick and light gun, but sadly no power supply. I've searched around on eBay and can only find rather overpriced power supplies. I don't even need an authentic or original one, but does anyone know where I can find a power supply just so I can test that the unit actually works? Thanks!

• Like 1

65XE, 130XE, 600XL, 800XL, 800XE and XE Game System all use the same power supply DIN 7 connector, 3 of the pins on one side are +5V, 3 on the other side are GND.

Maybe that will help widen your search. there's lots of aftermarket supplies I see on ebay that are much smaller switching types people have attached the Atari connector to.

If you are inclined, you can also get loose DIN7 connectors at a local electronics shop or ebay, and attach/solder a common USB charger of at least 1.5A (at 5VDC)

I tried to put together and solder those din7 cheap connector s and it was a pain... I don't know how to do it right.
For guys like me, I recommend to get a cheap MIDI cable in ebay, with one DIN7 in each end, then cut it in the middle, strip the cables, and solder to a 5vdc power supply and/or USB male connector. Check all connections made before plug it.
That worked for me.

Edit: It was not a MIDI one. It was a "Fender Footswitch cable":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/replacement-Fender-9-7-Pin-DIN-Footswitch-Cable-for-Amplifiers-/112601876426?hash=item1a379847ca

It is thick, and it looks good enough quality, certainly much better than my poorly soldered and assembled one

Edited by manterola

I was gifted an Atari XEGS with a joystick and light gun, but sadly no power supply. I've searched around on eBay and can only find rather overpriced power supplies. I don't even need an authentic or original one, but does anyone know where I can find a power supply just so I can test that the unit actually works? Thanks!

If you find the DIN connector, you can also patch an AT molex to the DIN connector to power the XEGS off of a PC power supply. Alternatively a good USB charger will work, but many chargers won't work as well. Read this thread for more information. Includes photos.

5 pin DINs, as used with older audio equipment, may be easier to get and will do the job as well. Caution must be taken when plugging it in as those 5 pins connectors are the exact same ones as used for the monitor port.

Even if you personally manage never to mix them up, this looks like a recipe for a fried Atari somewhere in the future....

If you go this road, be sure to add some color coding and/or warning sign to the cable not to plug it into a monitor port.

• Like 1

That looks to be untested . I would stay away from untested items .

I have 3 of those, 2 black & 1 white, they are supposed to be one of the most reliable power supplies for the Atari 8-bit.

This model can be easily disassembled and failed components replaced if needed.

Even if you personally manage never to mix them up, this looks like a recipe for a fried Atari somewhere in the future....

If you go this road, be sure to add some color coding and/or warning sign to the cable not to plug it into a monitor port.

Depends on what you have set up. The O.P. has an XEGS and as long he doesn't get himself an XL/XE there's no monitor port to fit the power plug.

Of course, if you need to go out to find one, always go for the 7 pin one, but if you want an easy solution and soldering is an issue, get an audio cable and cut in half.

All‘s well for the original poster but should he ever let go of his equipment it might end up next to an unfortunate XL/XE in the hands of someone not familiar with Ataris...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

All‘s well for the original poster but should he ever let go of his equipment it might end up next to an unfortunate XL/XE in the hands of someone not familiar with Ataris...

The new owner may get confused or running into trouble. In either case he'll likely end up here as a new member of the Atari community :-)

But seriously, if one has no clue about what he's actually doing, use 7 pins.

Hi, If you have a usb phone charger...Try something like this.