IGNORED

No Mans Sky

Zeptari

The whole NMS brohuaha was yet another example of how toxic, unfair and hypocrytical the modern groupthink-driven gamers can be. The released game was nowhere near as bad or broken as the hysterical backlash would have it. In fact, it was mostly hated on even before launch, by some anti-Sony folks or the ones who failed to understand what procedural generation entails.

Sure, there was lots of hype - not exactly a first in the gaming history, I suppose. But lots of it was generated from people's assumptions, not the facts. I think some really expected this tiny team to release a GTA/WItcher-level production, both in style/gameplay and money pumped in - only because of the Sony name attached. There was also a lot of dishonest noise - such as the endless harping on about multiplayer, despite the fact that for the last year before launch it was denied by the devs numerous times.

I got it at launch, both because I love procedural games and Elite, which was its spiritual predecessor, and if somebody tells me there's a real-size universe with explorable planets to check out, I'm in. I was not only not disappointed, but quite awed that they managed to pull it off. The sense of freedom and the visuals were quite staggering. As somebody said above here it is also quite old school in its design principles, free-to-explore do-what-you-want, with minimal narrative (the whimsical one in place was actually the low point for me) or other modern cinematic trappings.

It's one of the few games I actually miss playing now (I move a lot and had to get rid of my AAA gaming rig last year)

True, and the NMS community was very.. idk bipolar? They would constantly swing from off-the-charts hype at the smallest bit of positive information to ridiculous anger and despair at the smallest bit of negative information. They would get worked up by so many nontroversies. Like I remember pre-release, somebody got an early copy and streamed it. He reported that he reached the center of the galaxy in (only) 30 hours. That caused a huge temper tantrum. Never mind that you don't even have to go to the center, and there's plenty to do to keep you entertained otherwise. But many AAA games provide less than 30 hours of content!

It's calmed down quite a bit now that most of the NMS haters have left and moved on to hating the next games, but some in the community are still overanalyzing the new cover art looking for hints.. letting their imagination get away from them again.

http://thisgengaming.com/2018/05/17/no-mans-sky-launches-on-xbox-one-july-24-multiplayer-added-to-all-versions/

Phew...real multiplayer. This is rather huge.Game changer, if I may use this tired cliche.

Of course, I'm pretty sure the ususal suspects are already flooding comment sections and will be looking out for for a slightest misshap/bug, then declaring the game broken. I don't think though teh devs would be crazy enough to advertise this without some solid fundation... The multiplatform crossover is also rather impressive, isn't this some sort of a first, where you can play together across all the consoles AND the PC?

I'm actually more of a SP person, though in this kind of universe I can see the how this can work and be rather exciting. It's all rather mind boggling, what with buildings and all that, is this even possible, server wise? Depends on the scale I guess. But neither Star Citizen or ED can go wild with numbers and they had more time/moolah to spend on that.

Interesting overall, even if I can't play it myself atm.

http://thisgengaming.com/2018/05/17/no-mans-sky-launches-on-xbox-one-july-24-multiplayer-added-to-all-versions/

Of course, I'm pretty sure the ususal suspects are already flooding comment sections and will be looking out for for a slightest misshap/bug, then declaring the game broken. I don't think though teh devs would be crazy enough to advertise this without some solid fundation... The multiplatform crossover is also rather impressive,

Well nobody's seen the new update yet. They'll probably just claim "Hurr Durr Sean Murray lying again- his lips are moving". Since the launch drama Hello Games says very little about upcoming features and they won't promise anything that they don't deliver soon after. This is the first Sean Murray interview we've seen in quite some time, and he was careful to not talk about any new features other than Multiplayer and Release Date". Everything else he mentioned is in the game already.

isn't this some sort of a first, where you can play together across all the consoles AND the PC?

Did he say all the consoles? Usually Sony allows cross play with PC but not Xbox.

I'm actually more of a SP person, though in this kind of universe I can see the how this can work and be rather exciting. It's all rather mind boggling, what with buildings and all that, is this even possible, server wise? Depends on the scale I guess. But neither Star Citizen or ED can go wild with numbers and they had more time/moolah to spend on that.

Everything in the universe is generated by a repeatable algorithm, so that means that they only need to save changes to the generation-- like any buildings you built or terraforming changes you made. They already added the ability to visit other player's bases in 1.2. They keep things in check by only allowing players to build one base at a time, which has limitations on size/

I dont think he said cross platform play. Im pretty sure he just said all platforms will have multiplayer.

July 24th! Now my only choice:

digital or physical copy ?

Yeah, I misread this quote from the article "With this launch, players across Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Steam on PC will be able to explore, fight and survive with friends online" for one meaning that it'll be a shared thing.

Still, interested how many players will be present in your "universe" at the same time. ED has 32 I think.

It was still hard work for us Xbox owners wondering if we were ever going to get this title or not. But yeah I guess it pays off for us now getting a solid, enhanced and finalize product.

According to Microsoft website its 2 to 4 players online multiplayer.

It was still hard work for us Xbox owners wondering if we were ever going to get this title or not. But yeah I guess it pays off for us now getting a solid, enhanced and finalize product.

According to Microsoft website its 2 to 4 players online multiplayer.

Some people have pointed out that other games like "Sea of Thieves" say the same thing, 2-4 players. So that might not be accurate.

The game actually already has some multiplayer. Since 1.3 You can see other players as orbs. I'm not sure how many it allows, but I'm pretty sure I've seen gameplay footage showing more than 4. I assume the new multiplayer will build on that with proper skins.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can't play it myself atm but the list of improvements in the new update looks impressive, especially the improved gfx and planet surface generator. Though, some are strictly MP related and so of no interest to me.

The lack of MP in the GOG version (which I own) is a bit disappointing in general, as in "it's a inferior platform/second class experience". Word is it was gog who dropped the ball on this, not sure though - must be a client issue or some such.

• 5 weeks later...

I have this game in physical form, and I have to say it's VERY enjoyable. The many aspects of the game are really appealing to me, more so than Elite: Dangerous (which has now taken a back seat to this game). I was miffed at first that it was on PS4, but I'm more than ecstatic that it came to Xbox One. This game is so easy to get lost in and completely lose track of all concepts of time...

As someone who bought it on PS4 after the bad news for $20, I definitely need to play it now.

I'm happy that I can try it out 2 years later and see all that was added, unlike Sea of Thieves which was like the boating version of NMS, which so far makes it's DLC "limited time only" which makes checking it out a year or two later pointless

• 8 months later...

I have to say, I'm very impressed with what Hello games has done with this. I've never seen a developer stand by a game so panned at launch before. And it's totally worked. The game they have now lives up to the promises, and in many ways, has surpassed what they originally promised, particularly with base building. It's truly about exploration now, with some major Minecraft vibes with all of the base building.

A lot of space games have a very samey feel to them, but NMS has, over the last couple of years, really become this very unique (and fun, finally) space sim thing that's really not like anything else I've played.

My only gripe these days is that the dogfighting AI is a bit underwhelming, but that's pretty small potatoes compared to all they have done.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I played about 60 plus hours last year. That dropped to less then 5 hours this year. I deleted my original save by mistake. So stupid!

I really should jump into it. Sometimes the gameplay feels more like work then fun. Maybe I need to multiplayer it with someone.

• 2 months later...

I'm back. I was playing the game all wrong, well....I was playing in a way that made progress very slow and way more difficult.  I did't understand the use of drop pods or expanding my excosuit for free at space stations. Biggest relief was adding spaces to the cargo section of my suit. Wow, way more room. But my biggest doh, was not knowing I could call my space ship or excocraft (which I finally built almost a year after the game launched!) to my present location at any time with the d-pad. Well over 120+ hours playing and I'm still learning new things. Mostly what-to and not-to-do in the game.  Like, before you collect a crashed ship move all your resources over or your lose them. And get ready to fix all the things that need repairing on it. Then collecting items to reinstall all your lost technology. 

I finally settled down on my 20th system. I entered it and told myself I wasn't leaving till I made a base. Here's the results so far. My shuttle in the foreground.

I'm a scatter brain. So I'll close out for now with the picture..

nms1.JPG

Edited by Zeptari1

Glad you're enjoying it again! I really need to get back into it, I found that the changes made in the updates made things a bit more grindy and i'm resilient to starting again and losing my full slot ship and suit/tool as ithe ship is a design i really like. Hugely looking forward to the VR update.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up on sale, really enjoying it.  Just found my 2nd ship, and I'm happy that it feels different flying it compared to the 1st ship.

I loved when I found my first non-hazardous environment world.  Thought it was great until everything was constantly trying to kill me...lol.

• Like 1

Big new update comes on August 14th.   For those new to the game, be aware that the updates often change the game quite a bit.

We know that it will bring VR support and new online multiplayer options.   Plus a third element that hasn't been announced yet.