Dionoid

Stella Programmer's Guide - reprinted book

Hey Dion!

This is THE Steve Wright that wrote the Stella Programmer's Guide so many years ago. Thanks for formatting my programming guide into a book version. I had no idea that so many people are still interested in programming games for the 2600. There was absolutely no information on programming the chip set when I started at Atari so I decided to sit down and learn everything about the chip and how to program it before I wrote my first game which was Championship Soccer which later was rebranded as Pele's Championship Soccer. Loved my days at Atari! Long live Classic Gaming!!

Doing another Atari interview next week for the Video Game Newsroom Time Machine. You can check them out at https://videogamenewsroomtimemachine.libsyn.com/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 6:19 PM, SteveWright said:

Hey Dion!

This is THE Steve Wright that wrote the Stella Programmer's Guide so many years ago. Thanks for formatting my programming guide into a book version. I had no idea that so many people are still interested in programming games for the 2600. There was absolutely no information on programming the chip set when I started at Atari so I decided to sit down and learn everything about the chip and how to program it before I wrote my first game which was Championship Soccer which later was rebranded as Pele's Championship Soccer. Loved my days at Atari! Long live Classic Gaming!!

Doing another Atari interview next week for the Video Game Newsroom Time Machine. You can check them out at https://videogamenewsroomtimemachine.libsyn.com/

I keep a copy of it within arm-shot when doing VCS coding. Thank you for writing it! :)

-Thom

@SteveWright if you hadn't written that the Atari Homebrew scene would have grown like it did. It would have certainly slowed it down at the least. You book played such an important role in this! I own a copy of it and have also used the pdf of it extensively over the years.

BTW, people really love Championship Soccer too. I started a project to give some original Atari games a menu screen. One of those was Championship Soccer. I hope you like it.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/300168-original-games-updated-with-menus/?do=findComment&comment=4584037

Best regards,

Jeff

On 9/21/2021 at 9:19 AM, SteveWright said:

Hey Dion!

Good to see you here, Steve.

So, what do you think of the modern homebrew works like Aardvark, Galagon, and the MovieCart... to name a few?

On 9/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, SteveWright said:

Hey Dion!

Hi Steve, great to know you joined AtariAge!!

Thanks for writing the Stella Programmer's Guide, which still helps me a lot when developing games for the Atari 2600. It was my pleasure to format your guide into a book version.

-Dion

Wow - how did I miss this?  Awesome work @Dionoid, thanks for the PDF.  I'm ordering a copy of this.  Really cool to see the original author @SteveWright here too.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:50 AM, Dionoid said:

I thought it would be nice to have this guide as an actual booklet, so I took the PDF, cropped and scaled it for printing on US Trade Size (6" x 9"), then added a nice book-cover and finally uploaded it to lulu.com (the on-demand printing company).

You can order it for $2.45 here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/steve-wright/stella-programmers-guide/paperback/product-23612618.html

(in Europe the price is somewhat higher: €3.45)

Hi Dion,

I just saw this - thanks so much for creating a booklet for the Stella Programmer's Guide, it looks great! :thumbsup:   I just ordered one - can't wait till it arrives! :cool:  

Also, a huge thanks to Steve @SteveWright for originally creating the SPG.  I recall reading it from end-to-end way back when and without it I may have not have ventured into 2600 programming to begin with.  

Thanks,

John

• Like 1