IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0

Send PM to Simius here at AA. He said he would make no more, but still might have one available from his last batch.  Suggest you do not buy a rev. E. Mine had an issue with real time clock. Rev F is fine so far.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, Peter Rabitt said:

Is the IDE Plus 2 still available???

Would like one, maybe two...

Thanks

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, Stephen J Carden said:

Hi There!

The last IDE Plus 2.0  Rev D. & S I purchased.  And no I do not want to sell one.   The latest one is the IDE 2.0 Rev F. The man who builds these combined both the IDE 2.0 D & S with the ide to cf adapter.   Hope you can find one on e-bay.

Take care!

Steve

Not for sale on ebay. Where can I buy ?
Edited by atariki

The XXX2CF3 adapter from The Brewing Academy is probably as close as you will come.  Not a perfect substitute, but gives you a HDD on the pbi/eci.  Read the requirements carefully!!!

I don't own one of these, but perhaps someone who does can provide their perspective.  Or @flashjazzcat might provide his thoughts.  

On 8/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, Simius said:

I have made a slightly modified Rev.F1 board with a ribbon cable and the power supply connectors moved to the bottom side of the PCB. This should help with the old "brown" carts that were reported to be incompatible due to collision with the connector. There are only 9 pcs. and there will be no more. This is the final end of production of the IDE Plus 2.0

20190811_173122.jpg

That is a pity. In my humble opinion, IDE+ 2.0 is the best HD interface for those who do want to stick with unmodded Atari 8bit computer. When you have U1MB in your Atari of course SIDE2 or SIDE3 are great (although I only had bad luck with SIDE3). 

But if you do not want to go that path, IDE+ is absolutely awesome. I consider myself as a pretty serious Atari 8bit enthusiastic, and my main HD interface is the IDE+ 2.0 ... It's amazing. So if there is any chance for another run, I am pretty sure many people will be interested.

8 hours ago, Larry said:

The XXX2CF3 adapter from The Brewing Academy is probably as close as you will come.  Not a perfect substitute, but gives you a HDD on the pbi/eci.  Read the requirements carefully!!!

I don't own one of these, but perhaps someone who does can provide their perspective.  Or @flashjazzcat might provide his thoughts.  

Yes, but this needs U1MB. It's a 'simple' version of the SIDE system, where you need the U1Mb. Pretty cool solution though, since everything you need is inside the U1MB. @flashjazzcat did an awesome job on the PBI system and the SIDE system. Excellent to be honest. I think -though- that this external HD does not give you all the bells and whistles SIDE3 has. 

I wonder if TBA plans to restock?  I was going to suggest the SIDE3, but it takes up the cartridge port.  Once upon a time, I set up my SIDE2 to give a HDD, and IIRC, it worked fine. What issues did you have with the SIDE3?

There was an, earlier IDE interface, the original KMK/JZ IDE interface for Atari XE (not XL).  Not as full-featured, and not quite as fast, but requires no extra hardware (U1MB).  Probably some threads here about it on AA.  It allowed connecting of an IDE drive or an early flash storage device (shown in picture).  It might be possible to use a regular CF Card, but I never tried that.  I'd say that I bought it maybe 2002 or so.  I last used it in ~2010.

KMK-JZ IDE Interface1.jpg

KMK-JZ IDE Interface2.jpg

3 hours ago, Larry said:

I wonder if TBA plans to restock?  I was going to suggest the SIDE3, but it takes up the cartridge port.  Once upon a time, I set up my SIDE2 to give a HDD, and IIRC, it worked fine. What issues did you have with the SIDE3?

There was an, earlier IDE interface, the original KMK/JZ IDE interface for Atari XE (not XL).  Not as full-featured, and not quite as fast, but requires no extra hardware (U1MB).  Probably some threads here about it on AA.  It allowed connecting of an IDE drive or an early flash storage device (shown in picture).  It might be possible to use a regular CF Card, but I never tried that.  I'd say that I bought it maybe 2002 or so.  I last used it in ~2010.

KMK-JZ IDE Interface1.jpg

KMK-JZ IDE Interface2.jpg

I thought that this was the predecessor of the IDE+ ?

On 2/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, atariki said:

Not for sale on ebay. Where can I buy ?

I will not sell any of the ones I have. You may get lucky and get one if some one pass away or just just want to get ride of there 8-bit stuff. The  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections has a PBI board that plugs into the pbi on the 800xl or the 130xe with an adapter. But to use there you must have an U1Meg. Marvin and Mike have made or resell a lot of hardware for the Atari. I really love the IDE 2.0 d and S. I also have one on the IDE 2.0 CF as well. No while I own on of the Brewing academy PBI cf adapter I have not installed one nor have I tested one with RealDos I know the man who designed it and he does really nice work. This is also a product no longer made. The sio2ide is the coolest one I can think of. You can use any ide device. it is also able to read cd-roms. First of all I want to thank all the hardware designers in Poland and the rest of the world. This is just my view and I am just one end user that try to make RealDos work with everything. The Atari end users need a device like the MIO, BlackBox the works with all the new hardware like Compact flash, and all the other chips that are current. Now here is the problem every time someone builds something cool the chips they use are not around for very long. I try to buy at least two of everything made so I know there are a lot of things that are very cool that were made after 2000. Most of the really cool stuff can be viewed on my web site. http://www.realdos.net/Other towers.html. I hope you are able to find the hardware you want. or some of our hardware designers make something new and cool.

ThankYou all the new hardware developers

Stephen J. Carden Sr. PhD

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, Stephen J Carden said:

I will not sell any of the ones I have. You may get lucky and get one if some one pass away or just just want to get ride of there 8-bit stuff. The  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections has a PBI board that plugs into the pbi on the 800xl or the 130xe with an adapter. But to use there you must have an U1Meg. Marvin and Mike have made or resell a lot of hardware for the Atari. I really love the IDE 2.0 d and S. I also have one on the IDE 2.0 CF as well. No while I own on of the Brewing academy PBI cf adapter I have not installed one nor have I tested one with RealDos I know the man who designed it and he does really nice work. This is also a product no longer made. The sio2ide is the coolest one I can think of. You can use any ide device. it is also able to read cd-roms. First of all I want to thank all the hardware designers in Poland and the rest of the world. This is just my view and I am just one end user that try to make RealDos work with everything. The Atari end users need a device like the MIO, BlackBox the works with all the new hardware like Compact flash, and all the other chips that are current. Now here is the problem every time someone builds something cool the chips they use are not around for very long. I try to buy at least two of everything made so I know there are a lot of things that are very cool that were made after 2000. Most of the really cool stuff can be viewed on my web site. http://www.realdos.net/Other towers.html. I hope you are able to find the hardware you want. or some of our hardware designers make something new and cool.

ThankYou all the new hardware developers

Stephen J. Carden Sr. PhD

Well that is also the beauty of the IDE+ 2.0 D ... it's built with widely available common/stock parts. Perhaps not the RTC, but in the newer version thy used a very common RTC. 

Unfortunately the IDE+ seems to be pretty discontinued. 

I have VERY fond memories of my BlackBox. I should restart using it. I have most of the components in a few spares. A blackbox is quite easy to repair. 

But compared with IDE+ the BlackBox is SLOW, and the partition scheme is quite ... eh ... 'incompatible'? The fun part of the partition scheme used by IDE+ 2.0 is that it is also compatible with the MyIDE drivers for SDX. So that makes it possible to swap CF cards. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marius said:

The fun part of the partition scheme used by IDE+ 2.0 is that it is also compatible with the MyIDE drivers for SDX. So that makes it possible to swap CF cards.

It was certainly one of the most positive moments in the history of Atari 8-bit mass storage when we eventually agreed upon Drac030's 'APT' design. Whether it is perfect or not, it has allowed IDE Plus, Incognito, SIDE/SIDE2/SIDE3, U1MB/SIDE, 1088XEL/XLD and MYIDE devices using the SDX soft-drivers to enjoy complete media compatibility.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, flashjazzcat said:

It was certainly one of the most positive moments in the history of Atari 8-bit mass storage when we eventually agreed upon Drac030's 'APT' design. Whether it is perfect or not, it has allowed IDE Plus, Incognito, SIDE/SIDE2/SIDE3, U1MB/SIDE, 1088XEL/XLD and MYIDE devices using the SDX soft-drivers to enjoy complete media compatibility.

Absolutely! That is the co-operation I appreciate most. If my blackbox supported APT I would re-connect it at once. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, Marius said:

So if there is any chance for another run, I am pretty sure many people will be interested.

I'm not sure. The sale of these 9 units took over 2 years. Low interest was the main reason to ending production. The second (less important) was end of stock and unavailability of the MAX7000 series CPLD. 

What is an "S" version?  I'm familiar with C, D, E, and F. 

@Simius-  Just thinking...  Would you and Konrad allow/license someone else to produce these?  Or if a "white knight" (or two) would pay for the whole run up front, would you consider making more?  Making one with no changes would seem the easiest.  D is the most appealing (and supports the 65816), but would seem to require by far the most hand-work.  IIRC, you believe that F works the best, overall.  I have several, and think I bought a total of 7 of the various models from you.  But the IDE+2 is the best device of it's type, and I would hope that it could be available to users indefinitely.

• Like 2