IGNORED

Help! I f*d up my Coleco! :(

walterg74

Hey all, wondering if any repair experts can help me out with this one...

I have a colecovision that had controller port symptoms, where for example in DK, fire button would activate on game start, and then not respond, although rest of directions/etc worked.

Read that it was a faulty SN74LS541N, associated to the faulty port and attempted to change it.

Well, I must have done something wrong, because now I get no startup screen at all, just black...

I also noticed that the newly changed chip gets hot... not really sure why, or what this one has to do with video, unless I messed something else up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

You see the little dip on the white outline of the chip on the board? That shows you the orientation.

Yeah, that or having looked at how the old one was, or looking at an image on google, or just not being stupid..

Anywho, took the chip out and reversed it, and it works again (and the issue is fixed).

Thanks.

• Like 3

Late to the party, but that would have been my first guess...you put the chip in the wrong direction. I did that many years ago replacing the sound chip on my ColecoVision and boy did that sucker get hot!!!

Serves me right for not looking. Just assumed it went in like its pair. It’s even drawn on the PCB for crying out loud...

Hey guys, since I already had the console open, I installed a video mod in my CV, and the picture looks nice and defined, however, the colors are not completely right.., it is too purple (very noticeable on the game select screen). Anyone have any clue how to correct it..? (The mod kit is the one from retrofixes)

(Not sure if I should open a new/separate thread for this..)

Only issue with the RGB (F18a has the same issue) is that the expansion video for the atari expansion module requires a separate video connection. The composite mod works for both the colecovision and the expansion video.

Well, another knowledgeable fellow has also given me a few tips to try, coming down to tweak something on the circuit or simply adjusting tint on the tv.

Honestly since the picture is clear and adjusting tint fixes the displacement, I think I will just use it like this which looks great to me (yes I know RGB is better,maybe in the future Ill switch to that).

post-31873-0-11725700-1526128033_thumb.jpeg