IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica:Space Attack (Fan hack 2018)

doctorclu

The following was Inspired by reading up on Space Battle for the Intellivision and after discovering that Space Attack for the Atari VCS works on the VCS emulator for the Jaguar.

What has always fascinated me was how this was supposed to be a Battlestar Galactica game. For years this game eluded me, but once you understand to start the game by moving the joystick, and the deploying your squadrons by holding down the button and pushing left, right, and up to launch, it becomes much easier at that point.

post-4709-0-20565100-1525759299.png

Strangely it was the X-Wing Commander hack that worked on the Jaguar and those changes inspired me to really dig into the Space Attack rom, changing sprites to give a more look and feel, coloring matching the enemy ships, the radar screen, and other aspects with show screen shots. Changing the enemy fire from red to blue, and many other changes.

Honorable mention is the 2008 fan hack of Space Attack to Battlestar Galactica. Good to see there is other BSG fans out there, and also glad that we have perhaps hacking tools over the last ten years.

post-4709-0-21284200-1525759312_thumb.pngpost-4709-0-04057600-1525759326_thumb.png

For all of you who loved the show like I did, or just would like an altered version of Space Attack, here we go!

Battlestar Galactica-DC R01.bin

Perhaps later I'll adjust the firing sound, but until then enjoy!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Let's see:

https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/wiki/Galactica_(TOS)

• Following the destruction of the Twelve Colonies, Galactica is forced to dramatically increase the number of crew she carries. Galactica is originally equipped with two Viper squadrons, Red and Blue. She acquires two additional squadrons, Silver Spar Squadron and Bronze Spar Squadron from the battlestar Pegasus, following that ship's disappearance in "The Living Legend, Part II", boosting Galactica's fighter strength to one hundred-fifty Vipers (as mentioned in "Fire in Space").

Seen quite a few references to red, blue, and gold, especially when I was setting the colors for the game. I also found this website with patches from the show...

https://www.patchesnpins.com/webshop/tv-shows/battlestar-galactica/classic-bsg-shoulder-patch%C2%A0/

post-4709-0-36575100-1535605275.jpeg

Gold

post-4709-0-78938800-1535605281.jpeg

Red

post-4709-0-85654300-1535605288.jpeg

Blue

Anyway, while I could find the line-up for blue and red squadrons, I didn't find much for gold. So giving Sheba her commission with an all woman squadron seemed fun. :D . I wanted to originally make Bojay and Sheeba part of the Pegasus squadron, but found that after Pegasus Bojay was Captain of Red Squadron with Jolly and Greenbean. So ... that is a cool squadron too.

Edited by doctorclu

The following was Inspired by reading up on Space Battle for the Intellivision and after discovering that Space Attack for the Atari VCS works on the VCS emulator for the Jaguar.

What has always fascinated me was how this was supposed to be a Battlestar Galactica game. For years this game eluded me, but once you understand to start the game by moving the joystick, and the deploying your squadrons by holding down the button and pushing left, right, and up to launch, it becomes much easier at that point.

That explains why the enemies on the intellivision version look like cylon raiders.

• Like 1

They did an amazing job with the Cylons on the Intellivision version with the way they dive and do their rolls to avoid being hit. The below shot has surprising detail.

Currently looking into that V: Final Conflict conversion, and I'll share the link when/if I start that thread.

I found my notes on this BSG hack which I've added. Took a few hours to find the values that were changed and didn't want to have to hunt them down again later. ;)

bsg.pdf

Edited by doctorclu

Exactly! It would be very cool to play as the bad guys for once, right?

Thanks for the idea and I had fun with this today. Come check out the Cosmic Ark hack "Alien Visitors Are Our Friends" over here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282538-alien-visitors-are-our-friends-v-comic-ark-hack/?p=4104467

Edited by doctorclu

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...