IGNORED

Sticking My Toe in the Water

I should probably have my head examined.

So last week, out of a clear blue sky I decided I wanted an Adam. Another Adam, actually, since I owned one when I was a callow youth. I never really used it much but when I started seeing the publicity for it, man I wanted one! I mean, come on—daisy wheel printer!

Do I need an Adam? Nope.

Do I have room for one? Nope.

Can I afford one? Not sure.

But let’s face it, once I set my mind on something like this, it’s pretty much guaranteed to happen. Maybe not today, but as soon as I can do it. (Thank goodness we have limited and assigned parking here, otherwise there’d be a Yugo in front of the house and don’t get me started on that.)

So I just thought I’d introduce myself while I wait around for an Adam to show up. Preferably one in the original enormous box, please. If anyone has a system for sale or knows of one, please let me know. At this point, I’d be happy just to have a set of manuals to read through while I wait. Yes, I know I can get them from the Site That Shall Remain Nameless, but 30 bucks plus shipping plus some bullshit fee sounds a little high to me. Did I mention that I’m cheap?

Anyway, hello, and thanks for having me. Looking forward to playing Buck Rogers again!

• Like 3

I was fortunate that when I had an itch to get an Adam a couple of years ago, there was one available on the site I think you were referring to, but with a local pick-up option. I happened to be on vacation at the time, and was able to pick it up on my drive back home without having to go too much out of the way.

I was fortunate that when I had an itch to get an Adam a couple of years ago, there was one available on the site I think you were referring to, but with a local pick-up option. I happened to be on vacation at the time, and was able to pick it up on my drive back home without having to go too much out of the way.

That was certainly a lucky break! I'm hoping for one myself--maybe a yard sale or estate sale. I don't like paying for shipping, though I will if I absolutely have to.

BTW, I found a copy of the SmartBASIC manual online (http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/manuals.html) and it's kind of hilarious. Clearly it was written with a middle-school boy as its audience. I knew a little bit of BASIC back in the day (had a VIC20, too), but I've forgotten everything due to advanced age. Little by little, it's coming back to me.

That was certainly a lucky break! I'm hoping for one myself--maybe a yard sale or estate sale. I don't like paying for shipping, though I will if I absolutely have to.

BTW, I found a copy of the SmartBASIC manual online (http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/manuals.html) and it's kind of hilarious. Clearly it was written with a middle-school boy as its audience. I knew a little bit of BASIC back in the day (had a VIC20, too), but I've forgotten everything due to advanced age. Little by little, it's coming back to me.

It actually was written by a young guy (post college age) who wrote it under contract to Coleco. He used a Televideo computer and while he had some experience with Basic programming, he did not have access to a real ADAM computer while he wrote the manual. He sent me what he thought were his original 5 1/4 disks because they were labeled ADAM, but they only contained some vague personal stuff; the info on the ADAM was probably overwritten at a later date when the disks were reused. Another goodie lost to history, although it was interesting to know how the Basic manual came about.

• Like 1

It actually was written by a young guy (post college age) who wrote it under contract to Coleco. He used a Televideo computer and while he had some experience with Basic programming, he did not have access to a real ADAM computer while he wrote the manual. He sent me what he thought were his original 5 1/4 disks because they were labeled ADAM, but they only contained some vague personal stuff; the info on the ADAM was probably overwritten at a later date when the disks were reused. Another goodie lost to history, although it was interesting to know how the Basic manual came about.

Thanks for the info! I always like to know the backstory if at all possible. And I'm quite enjoying the book since--chronological age notwithstanding--I'm basically still a 9-year-old boy at heart.