IGNORED

Using a Cartridge dump with Side2 or Incognito?

Bikerbob

Correct. The SIDE cartridge cannot emulate a rom cartridge. However, as tjlazer points out, you can use XEX files created from cartridge roms.

If you're dead set on emulating carts, both the UNO Cart and the Ultimate Cart support all vintage cartridge roms from BITD. The Ultimate will also support 8 megabit Atarimax compilation files. The UNO Cart only supports 1 megabit Atarimax files, but does also support some (not all) simple .ATR files.

Ok, good to know, I guess maybe an Ultimate Cart in the furture, but I will look for xex files for now then. XEX files run just as if they were carts? is there an archive of xex files?

James

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=0

Select the download all 68 MB of XEX files nearly all tested and able to run via SIO2PC, SIO2SD, Sdrive, and Side2.

post-10165-0-21225200-1526104498_thumb.png

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2018 at 7:22 PM, flashjazzcat said:

No banked carts, but you can soft-load quite a few 8K ROMs (and CARs using the upcoming firmware).

I’m Checking to see if U1MB can emulate banked carts but assume it can’t. Assuming I am correct is there any way that either U1MB or side 2 could handle banked cart emulation in the future ? Or does the hardware prevent that ever being a reality? 

1 minute ago, Irata 008 said:

I’m Checking to see if U1MB can emulate banked carts but assume it can’t.

Correct.

1 minute ago, Irata 008 said:

Assuming I am correct is there any way that either U1MB or side 2 could handle banked cart emulation in the future ? Or does the hardware prevent that ever being a reality? 

Hardware prevents this being a reality, since (for one thing) cart emulation requires dedicated RAM on the device. U1MB's 1MB of RAM is for the extended PORTB memory, and SIDE2 has no RAM on it whatsoever.

SIDE3 will (eventually) do everything all in one device (i.e. everything SIDE2 does, plus cart emulation), but in the meantime, you need to look to UNO, AVG, Ultimate Cart, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Correct.

Hardware prevents this being a reality, since (for one thing) cart emulation requires dedicated RAM on the device. U1MB's 1MB of RAM is for the extended PORTB memory, and SIDE2 has no RAM on it whatsoever.

SIDE3 will (eventually) do everything all in one device (i.e. everything SIDE2 does, plus cart emulation), but in the meantime, you need to look to UNO, AVG, Ultimate Cart, etc.

As usual very succinct and clear info Jason.  I’m waiting for side 3 ... 

There seems to be a flow or trickle of new games which take advantage of 1MB cart bank switching - Wonderboy is an immediate example. Cash and covid restrictions  permitting (im in NZ), I’m looking at ordering a cart emulator which can handle 1mb banked cart emulation.   

I looked at this about 6 months ago, marvelled at some carts which can emulate others (iirc one or two can even emulate side 2) and got totally confused. 

Which current (ie available) one or ones would you recommend as being the most compatible and useful?

11 minutes ago, Irata 008 said:

As usual very succinct and clear info Jason.

Jason? :)

11 minutes ago, Irata 008 said:

Which current (ie available) one or ones would you recommend as being the most compatible and useful?

In the absence of SIDE3, the AVG cart seems to me clearly the best option (not least because it can emulate SIDE2).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Jason? :)

In the absence of SIDE3, the AVG cart seems to me clearly the best option (not least because it can emulate SIDE2).

Sorry Johnathan! Brain fade...

AVG cart it is then. Thanks for all the great work you’ve done and are doing  on Atari’s

• Thanks 1