IGNORED

Good NES emulator for Android phone with MOGA support

Gamemoose

Recently I picked up a MOGA Pocket controller at a garage sale for cheap in hopes that I could do some proper play with emulation of NES, SNES and other consoles. I've used the ".emu" apps by Robert Broglia on my Ouya and had no real issues. So I figured I'd try them on my phone. Hoo boy.

The free SNES.emu seems to work well but the NES...ugh. After fiddling around with NES.EMU (which I had to pay for) I coukd not get an acceptable level of emulation. The speed seemed ok in SMB (my go to test game) but the sound made me want to gouge out my ears. Needless to say, I asked gor a refund.

So my question to y'all is: what is a decent NES emulator on an Android phone that has support for MOGA devices (as my phone fits nice on that controller)?

That would be my go-to choice, too bad it didn't work out for you. How fast is your device?

Have you reached out to the developer?

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/nes-emu

RetroArch would be my pick, but it's harder to configure, especially on mobile.

There are a zillion choices, many with free versions. Since everyone's Android hardware is different, I'd try the highest rated ones first.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Update: I found I had been downloading crap roms.  I tried SMB on Mesen for windows, which is supposed to be near spot on emulation and I got the same issue.

I checked a particular collection and found "Super Mario Bros (world)" and tried it on Mesen. Worked awesome. I then tried it on NES.EMU and all was good!

The .EMU emulators actually on the whole are excellent.  I actually grabbed one of them even for general use on my tablet when I had been using it actively for Neo Geo stuff, in particular for vacation or too lazy for the real deal moments so I'd take any game I owned and pop the zip with the files on there and stuffed it into the storage on my tablet to play.  It was a bit rough on some not often carrying a controller, but the more chill things like the sports titles (Baseball Stars 2, League Bowling, Neo Turf Masters) or puzzle games (like either Bust A Move) it was fantastic.