IGNORED

CHI Friday - Companion gathering to Chicago TI World Faire

OLD CS1

I'll have my projector available. I also can bring a projection screen if the room does not have one.

I do have an interfacing project in mind for this year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull it off yet. We'll see :) I could also give a brief primer on parallel port interfacing for those interested.

You gonna launch a rocket?! That would be cool, Beavis!

I will see if there is a screen in the room. Might be cool to have a system set up for general use, game-playing, etc. Maybe we can have a competition on Friday. I can bring some rather meager prizes.

I am interested in a presentation on PIO interfacing, though presentations should be reserved for Saturday.

I know I am new here and potentially wading into a political sensitive spot, but I'd like to reserve the same room on Saturday so we can all continue discussions and such after 4:30PM.

As a frequent attendee of CoCoFEST!, VCF-MW and ECCC in Chicago, I know that the 6PM-11PM timeframe is the best for discussing new ideas and brainstorming on things, as 10AM to 4:30PM timeframe is spent explaining current projects and enjoying presentations.

As well, as someone driving in for the event, I want to maximize the time there to display and discuss projects/products.

Jim

That would actually present a different set of problems, as the main event tends to migrate to another location for dinner and presentations after we close up shop at the Library. Some of us depart at that point--others join the traditional Saturday evening pub crawl. Both the dinner and the pub crawl are part of the main event, and are unlikely to be skipped by the majority of participants.

• Like 2

Jim,

You have to understand the history of the Faire to see why that idea is a no-go. At least in the near future. Eventually if the Friday event takes off and is absorbed into the official Faire festivities a simple re-structuring might be possible. As it stands, in the past several of the tinkerers would skip the Saturday evening festivities as it is difficult to make the trip, let alone justify the expense for some, for just a single day of activity. In particular since the recent structure of the Faire has been a little mingling, a little exhibiting, and a lot of presentations, all in the same room with the presentations taking priority.

I agree with your perspective and per my messages prior I hope to catalyze an expansion of the Faire.

The Saturday night activities constitute a very long-standing tradition which I personally would be very loathe to break. That said, the new Friday event should be a great unstructured outlet for discussions, brainstorming, debugging and such and a great complement to the Faire proper.

• Like 1

The Saturday night activities constitute a very long-standing tradition which I personally would be very loathe to break. That said, the new Friday event should be a great unstructured outlet for discussions, brainstorming, debugging and such and a great complement to the Faire proper.

Yeah, long-standing tradition of you light-weights heading to bed early. ;)

• Like 4

I hope you guys keep us up-to-date with constant photos via twitter or even AtariAge now that cellphones can do everything.

I hope you guys keep us up-to-date with constant photos via twitter or even AtariAge now that cellphones can do everything.

No promises. It is very difficult to be a simultaneous participant and spectator.

Is that a challenge? :grin:

We have our booking link https://locu.li/TICU

Group code is TICU. Booking deadline 08-Oct-2018.

I can set up a Hilton-hosted group page, as well, when I have time.

Terms for the block:

• Any “No Shows” are subject to the fee of one night’s lodging plus the applicable taxes, payable by the individual noted on the reservation.
  • All individual reservation cancellations must be made 48-hours prior to scheduled arrival; otherwise the individual will be billed for one night’s lodging plus occupancy tax.
  • An Early Departure fee of $50.00 will be assessed for any early room departures for guests who have been checked into the hotel.
  • Like 1

Booked! I should mention though that parking is not free but rather $13/day...

It is free in our contract for the block. When I stayed last year I had to take my ticket to the front desk for validation.

I have merged all related links to the event into a loculus (this is my own little URL shortening service I never finished.)

https://locu.li/CHIFriday

This includes the contribution link, booking link, and link back to this thread. Once I have time to set up the booking page at Hilton's site I will add that in.

Alan,

I chipped in some money for the room. Not sure if I will be there Friday for the event or Saturday for the show. I hope to make it, but need (i.e., want) to put some venison in the freezer. Hopefully, bow hunting will be successful.

• Like 2

Alan,

I chipped in some money for the room. Not sure if I will be there Friday for the event or Saturday for the show. I hope to make it, but need (i.e., want) to put some venison in the freezer. Hopefully, bow hunting will be successful.

Much appreciated. Stock up your freezer and make it out when and if you can!