IGNORED

1995-1998 Genesis games

SlidellMan

I feel 1995 was the last big year for the Genesis in North America. I played a *lot* of these titles from that year in particular, and in some cases I still do:

• Adventures of Batman & Robin
  • Comix Zone
  • Earthworm Jim 2
  • Light Crusader
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Ristar
  • Vectorman
  • WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game
  • X-Men 2: Clone Wars
  • Zoop

There are some other neat releases after '95, but not much I personally put a ton of time into. Stuff like the Williams Arcade Classics, Ultimate MK3, Sonic 3D Blast, etc.

To extend that to the Genesis add-ons, there was some good stuff on the 32X and Sega CD released in '95 as well (not much at all for '96 and on):

• Adventures of Batman & Robin (Sega CD)
  • After Burner (32X)
  • Blackthorne (32X)
  • Earthworm Jim: Special Edition (Sega CD)
  • Fatal Fury Special (Sega CD)
  • Kolibri (32X)
  • Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)
  • Mortal Kombat II (32X)
  • NBA JAM TE (32X)
  • Samurai Shodown (Sega CD)
  • Shadow Squadron (32X)
  • Road Rash (Sega CD)
  • Tempo (32X)
  • Virtua Fighter (32X)
  • Like 5

Vectorman 2

Let's forget X-Perts though. :sleep:

Gotta say, never was much a fan of Vectorman 2. Felt like a step back in just about every way to me. I want to finish it one of these days, but every time I try it I end up having to force myself through it.

I can totally agree on X-Perts though. Kind of a shame that one turned out the way it did.

• Like 1

Austin listed some of my very favorite games on the system. Vectorman 2 was also pretty good.

There were a bunch of sports games released as annual updates, too. Madden, NBA Live, NBA Hangtime, World Series Baseball, and Triple Play Baseball all had releases in that time frame.

Other "notable" games (man, you can see why these years never get mentioned);

• Time Killers (canceled but due to release at the end of the console's life)
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Weapon Lord
  • Wrestlemania the Arcade Game
  • X-Men Clone Wars (which always felt unfinished to me)

I'm sure there's more but these are the ones I remember playing. I don't remember liking any of them. LOL

• Like 1

Really? Why do you say that?

I feel like hit detection and jumping physics are wonky. It looks like you successfully jump to some specific higher platforms (there's daylight between you and the top of a beam or whatever) and you fall back through. You can clearly duck certain projectiles but you take a hit anyway. Maybe a piece of hair is sticking up, I dunno. The way you go from a full stop to a dead run makes it hard to inch your way forward. I just have a lot of complaints about the controls.

Also the sound is just atrocious. No voices, all the sound effects are FM noise. No sampled anything. The music is best described as "ambient" and I'd more likely call it dull and sparse. Streets of Rage 3 gets dinged a lot for its music but it still sounds better than this. Physical hits have impact in that game. Clone Wars has nothing close.

I will say visually it's a feast for the eyes. It looks great.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I feel like hit detection and jumping physics are wonky. It looks like you successfully jump to some specific higher platforms (there's daylight between you and the top of a beam or whatever) and you fall back through. You can clearly duck certain projectiles but you take a hit anyway. Maybe a piece of hair is sticking up, I dunno. The way you go from a full stop to a dead run makes it hard to inch your way forward. I just have a lot of complaints about the controls.

Also the sound is just atrocious. No voices, all the sound effects are FM noise. No sampled anything. The music is best described as "ambient" and I'd more likely call it dull and sparse. Streets of Rage 3 gets dinged a lot for its music but it still sounds better than this. Physical hits have impact in that game. Clone Wars has nothing close.

Interesting complaints. I didn't have any of those issues, personally. Some stages do have shifting terrain (like the intro stage) and so that will make ducking inconsistent. Also, duck heights are lower depending on the character. For instance, Beast can duck under certain projectiles, while other characters can not. The double jumping was never an issue for me either and pretty much zero parts of the game require it--are you sure you're not confusing it with the first X-Men game? In that one the double jumping could be difficult to pull off. Hit and collision detection is solid, too. Again, maybe you're thinking of the first one? The collision definitely felt wonky in that one.

I never minded the sound effects and music either. No voice samples is a good thing in my opinion, as the Genesis was generally terrible with that. The music is certainly not upbeat at all, but I feel it fits the dreary tone of the game.

So thinking on this I know I own 2 games from that era that have not been mentioned yet.

Minnesota Fats - really its side pocket redone.

Primal Rage - Really not bad for a 16 bit fighter.

Light Crusader - I remember buying this like form the discount bin and never plying more than 10 minutes of it back in the day. Revisiting it though its not a bad game at all.

Zoop also came to mind as a terrible puzzle game released for everything.

• Like 1

Here's a long play of The Lost World: JP:

That game shows how much Novotrade/Appaloosa knew when it came to the Genesis/Mega Drive.

The Ooze:

This title, judging from the Cubex55 description, looks like it could have used some tuning. By the way, the guys behind Sonic Spinball, Dinosaurs for Hire, and Eternal Champions worked on this.

Finally, here's a video of Nightmare Circus:

Too bad that Sega released it before they finished it.

• Like 3

Comix Zone was too difficult for it's own good, and not in a way that would make you want to keep trying..

Like SO many great Genesis games...

Ecco could have been an icon that beat Sonic...

Only the creators of Sonic were smart enough to say, 'Hey, you know... maybe gamers will want to actually see the later levels?"

Nope, instead a Comic Zone programmer (or two.. this had to pass muster after all) decided,..

"Hey,.. you know what would be rad? Lets make it so EVERYTHING hurts the player!!!"

"...even stuff that the player has to do to finish the level,.. like opening doors???"

"EVERY DAMN THING!!!!!"

".... O..K...., hey Tom... make it so the guy gotta punch a door 50 times, while taking damage, to open it"

"What?!?"

"Just do it"

"fukkit, I get paid by the hour..."

Edited by Torr
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 6 months later...