IGNORED

Should we split "ADAM" discussion into its own sub-forum?

TPR

Should we split "ADAM" discussion into its own sub-forum?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we split "ADAM" discussion into its own sub-forum?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Please vote in the poll if you think we should have an ADAM specific sub-forum!

There are pros and cons to this, but I welcome any feedback from the community. The decision will be yours!

EDIT: I will add the information I posted below to this original post...

While I am personally not going to vote in this because I am also on the fence about it, here is some of my thoughts and additional data points:

- Following up from Albert's data point below on the 687 threads with ADAM in the title, I went back 6 months and only 17 of those threads were specific to ADAM.

- PRO: An ADAM sub-forum gives ADAM users a place where they don't have to weed through non-ADAM related topics to easily contribute to discussions.

- CON: Someone who is into ColecoVision and "casually" into ADAM may miss certain discussion because one more forum to have to read is... well.. one more forum to have to read.

- IMO Only ADAM specific threads should go into the ADAM forum. If it mentions "ColecoVision" or is a cross-over in anyway, it should stay in the ColecoVision forum.

For example, these are recent threads that would be candidates for an ADAM forum:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278080-64-mb-hd-for-your-adam

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252006-adam-irc-server

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277813-coleco-adam-vdd-case-mod/

These are recent threads that crossover into both categories and should stay in the ColecoVision forum:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278568-fix-it-guide-coleco-adam-controller

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278572-adam-to-sgm-nominations

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276910-was-the-dk-jr-ddp-for-adam-ever-released-as-a-homebrew-for-the-cv

- What about people who only own an Expansion Module #3? Would the new forum only be for topics relating to stand-alone ADAMs or would it include topics for the ColecoVision expansion module?

- What about Development posts? The ColecoVision programming forum is a great resource to those who are homebrewing or programming on any of the Coleco machines. Should those ADAM specific posts, like this one for example: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272088-adam-programming-question/be split into a new ADAM forum or stay in the ColecoVision Programming forum?

Arguably, the ADAM is considered by most outsiders (aficionados aside) as an extension of the ColecoVision which the Expansion Module #3 literally is. The above is not necessarily my personal opinions one way or the other, but just some information to think about before we go splintering into another sub-forum. Would that actually help or hurt the ADAM community? As I said before, the decision is completely yours!

• Like 2

As a data point here, I searched for all topics in the forum that have "ADAM" somewhere in the title. At present, there are 687 such topics, spanning 28 pages of results. Most of these topics seem to be ADAM-specific, but there are some that also pertain to the ColecoVision.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 11.37.08 AM.png

..Al

I think a subforum in the colecovision forum would be appropriate. I think it would get more eyes being a subforum in the colecovision forum rather then in the classic computing forum as it has so much similarity with the colecovision and runs colecovision games.

I'm on the fence about this myself as it doesn't particularly affect me, mainly because I don't own an ADAM. However, if an ADAM subforum is created then it really needs to be moderated to ensure that only ADAM specific content is created there with no crossover to the ColecoVision. While this proposal is there to help those who want to specifically see/discuss ADAM only content, it works both ways, in that I'd hate to miss some ColecoVision content that was posted in an ADAM subforum.

• Like 1

While I am personally not going to vote in this because I am also on the fence about it, here is some of my thoughts and additional data points:

- Following up from Albert's data point above on the 687 threads with ADAM in the title, I went back 6 months and only 17 of those threads were specific to ADAM.

- PRO: An ADAM sub-forum gives ADAM users a place where they don't have to weed through non-ADAM related topics to easily contribute to discussions.

- CON: Someone who is into ColecoVision and "casually" into ADAM may miss certain discussion because one more forum to have to read is... well.. one more forum to have to read.

- IMO Only ADAM specific threads should go into the ADAM forum. If it mentions "ColecoVision" or is a cross-over in anyway, it should stay in the ColecoVision forum.

For example, these are recent threads that would be candidates for an ADAM forum:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278080-64-mb-hd-for-your-adam

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252006-adam-irc-server

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/277813-coleco-adam-vdd-case-mod/

These are recent threads that crossover into both categories and should stay in the ColecoVision forum:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278568-fix-it-guide-coleco-adam-controller

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278572-adam-to-sgm-nominations

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276910-was-the-dk-jr-ddp-for-adam-ever-released-as-a-homebrew-for-the-cv

- What about people who only own an Expansion Module #3? Would the new forum only be for topics relating to stand-alone ADAMs or would it include topics for the ColecoVision expansion module?

- What about Development posts? The ColecoVision programming forum is a great resource to those who are homebrewing or programming on any of the Coleco machines. Should those ADAM specific posts, like this one for example: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272088-adam-programming-question/be split into a new ADAM forum or stay in the ColecoVision Programming forum?

Arguably, the ADAM is considered by most outsiders (aficionados aside) as an extension of the ColecoVision which the Expansion Module #3 literally is. The above is not necessarily my personal opinions one way or the other, but just some information to think about before we go splintering into another sub-forum. Would that actually help or hurt the ADAM community? As I said before, the decision is completely yours!

With 687 threads, I think there is a need for an ADAM specific sub-forum.

But as TPR stated, it is a kind difficult.

Maybe headlined: ColecoVision / ADAM > ADAM Family Computer System > ADAM also related to ColecoVision > ColecoVision.

:)

A good example is a post I made on 4/24 "64 MB HD for your Adam". It was read 252 times but only 4 people replied. WhatI disclosed in this post was very "groundbreaking" I learned you could have a 65MB SD HD on the adam if you owned the VDD. The overwhelming majority probably had no clue what it meant and this post very quickly, with in a day or so fell off the main page but an Adam user like myself would know.

I'm going to ask the obvious questions here and I don't mean for this to come off as insulting but just because I'm honestly curious... If 252 people read it, but only 4 people responded, and you think that could be due to a lack of understanding on what the post means is it possible that...

- The subject matter just had a more limited appeal than what you expected?

- By having that post in it's own ADAM forum would even fewer people have seen it?

- A follow up post with a better explanation could have generated more responses?

I ask because I see recent examples of posts that have similar views but have quite a lot more responses.

I guess what I'm really getting at here is trying to figure out just how much activity there really is exclusive to ADAM that warrants more sub-threads, more moderation, etc. And if there is enough and people deem it so then I think it should happen. But I don't know for sure myself.

• Like 2

I voted "no," if for no other reason than ADAM "fandom" is small as it is, and it's unlikely to grow over time. ADAM-related posts should say ADAM in them. An ADAM fan isn't going to miss them.

As for the message about "64MB HD for your ADAM," I thought it was interesting, I think I "liked" it, but for me, the information was clearly written and stood on its own. I had no comment to add. That shouldn't be interpreted as a lack of interest or engagement, just a lack of response.

I wouldn't have seen it if it were buried in an ADAM subforum, a computer add-on that interests me in a general way for being an old toy, but not to the point where I'll seek out new posts there.

It looks like the voting is an even split. Without a clear mandate to change something, I'd leave it as is. But then I would, since I voted "no," wouldn't I?" icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 2

A good example is a post I made on 4/24 "64 MB HD for your Adam". It was read 252 times but only 4 people replied. WhatI disclosed in this post was very "groundbreaking" I learned you could have a 65MB SD HD on the adam if you owned the VDD. The overwhelming majority probably had no clue what it meant and this post very quickly, with in a day or so fell off the main page but an Adam user like myself would know.

Being an ADAM person, my attitude here would be, "why respond?" I quite frankly don't remember if I responded on this forum or not...or if it was on your web page...but again, for someone like me...why respond? Your 64mb disk image was noted and I guess I could respond, "Neat"...but I'm not going to respond just for the sake of responding.

While I'm not 100% against a separate ADAM section, it would just create more work having to look at two different forums rather than one. I have both an ADAM and ColecoVision so at least for me personally, I enjoy having everything in one place.

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 2

I honestly don't see what is so difficult about clicking on a proposed ADAM sub-forum link in the ColecoVision / ADAM Forum exactly the way everyone clicks on the Opcode, CollectorVision, High Score, etc. sub-forum link???

The creation of an ADAM sub-forum in the ColecoVision Forum would make things easier to find ADAM specific threads especially for new members to AtariAge that are looking for such info and support.

I could go on and on, but I won't bore everyone.

So after reading the previous posts I actually have voted NO.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

I honestly don't see what is so difficult about clicking on a proposed ADAM sub-forum link in the ColecoVision / ADAM Forum exactly the way everyone clicks on the Opcode, CollectorVision, High Score, etc. sub-forum link???

That's a very fair question and I actually feel there are times where I miss posts in those subthreads because they are in subthreads. There was a point recently where someone asked Pixelboy if he wanted his own subthread and I think he had said no. I'm sort of glad that was his answer.

Well I thought it would be a good idea, but ...

Milli

No one is saying it's a bad idea, just one that I feel a little bit more thought needed to go into. There wouldn't be this poll or this thread if we thought it was a bad idea! ;)

• Like 1

Well I thought it would be a good idea, but ...

It's a fine idea, just maybe not for everyone, since we all have different perspectives.

You have interesting ideas like "a question about the DDP or how to do 80 columns in CP/M or, as in the case of today, does the left hardware reset button on the adam reload EOS from rom or leave it in memory."

I'm coming from a much simpler place, like "I thought Colecovision was cool when I was 12, and I wanted an ADAM in its day and I still like to read about it even though I'll never own one and have little to add to the conversation."

A potential compromise could be a highly specialized ongoing thread, maybe called something like "ADAM technical questions here" which the die-hards could follow without needing to make a dedicated subform. That's happened naturally in a bunch of places on this board and seems to be a good way to make a mini-community.

• Like 2

Although I only have a ColecoVision which is my main interest I also enjoy reading about the goings on with the ADAM even though I don't have one and probably never will. The ADAM is so closely connected, literally and figuratively, in so many ways to the ColecoVision; their history is one in the same. The ADAM discussions don't seem to clog the ColecoVision comments but the ADAM exclusive users may find their messages lost in a larger amount of ColecoVision only related comments. If they are separated I could just as easily click over to the separate section. But you know what they say if it ain't broke don't fix it unless the ADAM users don't say that and they demand change.

This is tough. I voted "yes" because the ADAM is too often thought of as essentially just a bulkier Colecovision with cream-colored controllers, which isn't fair to the system...even if the ADAM says it itself, billing itself as "ADAM - The Colecovision Family Computer." It doesn't give itself enough credit! :P :-D

While yes, it has basically everything in common with the Colecovision game system, it's also much more than that and is really a distinct system--from both the CV and other contemporary computer systems--and should be treated as such IMO. Furthermore, to use myself as an example, I don't usually frequent the Coleco forum very much (although I have recently, as my newly-acquired DINA has got me on a Coleco kick at the moment), and consequently the ADAM seldom ever even crossed my mind. In the lineage of classic computers, I forget all about it, buried as a fragmented incidental topic in a forum I rarely visited. I imagine it's similar for many others as well.

And I agree with the Aquarius being split off as well. Lumping Intellivision and Aquarius together (because they were both products of Mattel Electronics, I guess?) kind of makes sense, in that their stories are connected, and the Aquarius' cartridge library and game controller design were clearly inherited from the Intellivision. But apart from that, as hardware platforms, those systems practically couldn't have less to do with one another.

Moreover, the ADAM and Aquarius are not game systems. They are computers. :) (Or at least, they're supposed to be. :-D :ponder:)

Having said all that...are the ADAM and Aquarius scenes here really big enough to warrant them having their own subforums? I'd be hard-pressed to disagree if you said "no." But I still stand by it, if for no other reason than sort of giving the systems their own identities back. Maybe stick them in a new "Other" subforum in Classic Computing? They're not as important as the Apple, Texas Instruments, Commodore, or Tandy systems, but more important--in terms of AtariAge activity--than systems that garner occasional one-off topics around here, like MSX, Sinclair*, SV-318/328, or a litany of other obscure things. (*I'd make a case for a Sinclair subforum as well, as Sinclair systems were obviously hugely important in the UK and European scenes--the TS1000 even had a brief salad day here in North America--but they don't get talked about much here on AA.)

IMO Atari 400/800 and ST could be moved to Classic Computing as well, perhaps as sub-subforums of an "Atari Computers" subforum, similar to the catch-all subforums for Commodore 8-bit and Tandy systems. Although I understand not doing that, as well, this being AtariAge and all. :P

• Like 1

IMO Atari 400/800 and ST could be moved to Classic Computing as well, perhaps as sub-subforums of an "Atari Computers" subforum, similar to the catch-all subforums for Commodore 8-bit and Tandy systems. Although I understand not doing that, as well, this being AtariAge and all. :P

Some reorganization of the forums is certainly in order, but probably not until I upgrade the forum software.

..Al

• Like 2

After further thought and seeing more support for it than I originally thought there would be, move my vote to YES, but only if this proposed change keeps the ADAM sub-forum in the ColecoVision / Adam Computer Forum.

I know, I'm a pain in the ass but it's too late in the game to change that!

• Like 1