IGNORED

INTV GOTY 2018 results

If we want the ROM games to be included, we should discuss about a minimum of requirement. It's a fact that moving from rom release to CIB release a deeper test process is introduced to guarantee the game would work properly on the real hardware. I understand that roms can run in the Flash cart on real hardware, but how to check the compatibility with the flash?

in my opinion a rom only list can be considered but would keep separated from CIB, and this could a subject for a vote in this thread: should we add a voting?

• Like 1

here's a list of the games originally released without box:

- Blix (GOTY 2014)

- Piggy Bank (GOTY 2015 - winner)

- Mystic Castle (GOTY 2016)

- Super Pro Baseball (GOTY 2016)

- FFTC Super Pro Hockey (GOTY 2O17)

- Laser Sharks (GOTY 2017)

So, I can reasonably expect The Dreadnaught Factor PAL will be allowed to compete...

I think new games in cartridges should be included, even if without a box.

I believe the reason Valter is putting the parameters of CIB are the same reasons why I think at least a cartridge is required: to reduce the noise and at least have some minimum standards on the quality of releases. It takes considerable time and resources to put something on a cartridge, at least more than just compiling a binary and putting the ROM for download. It puts at least some barrier to releasing crap and reduces the noise; otherwise you'll have every "my first program" and "looksie what I can do!!" ROMs in IntyBASIC qualifying.

I believe there can be other categories for ROMs, but the "Game Of The Year" should be an actual physical release.

Oh, and Dreadnaught Factor for PAL still does not count. :P

-dZ.

I believe the reason Valter is putting the parameters of CIB are the same reasons why I think at least a cartridge is required: to reduce the noise and at least have some minimum standards on the quality of releases. It takes considerable time and resources to put something on a cartridge, at least more than just compiling a binary and putting the ROM for download. It puts at least some barrier to releasing crap and reduces the noise; otherwise you'll have every "my first program" and "looksie what I can do!!" ROMs in IntyBASIC qualifying.

I believe there can be other categories for ROMs, but the "Game Of The Year" should be an actual physical release.

-dZ.

I agree and willing to move to the double category CIB or CART ONLY

still we can discuss and go for a poll, but the poll would be do we consider CART only or not? awaiting further comments

It was never made for this.

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread because it's a re-release and "different" from the original because it plays on PAL.

Should all the games in this list also be considered, at least in the vaporware section until they're officially annonunced as finished and ready to be ordered?

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/homebrew-releases-coming-soon

Personally, I think only released games should be considered. They shouldn't even be put on the list until they are released. That's how it would work in real life, I imagine.

Also, there should be a cut-off time for inclusion, say from December of the previous year to November, with the voting happening on January of the following year. I don't think it's fair for a release made on the last couple of days or weeks of the year to be considered, since most people won't get a chance to play it. Also, there's also a chance some will be unduly influenced by the typical hype surrounding a release right at the point when the voting is to be done. Such games can always be included on the next year's GotY list.

Example time-line:

,--------------// ... Next Year's
                                              |
                                              v
<---------------------------------------------------------->
    |     |                           |       |      |
   Dec   Jan                         Nov     Dec    Jan
   '17   '18                         '18     '18    '19

^                                 ^              ^
    |                                 |              |
    '_____________Releases____________'        GotY 2018 Poll 

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Why does the GOTY have to happen in January? What prevents the poll from taking place in say March or April the following year? By moving the poll, all games officially released in the same year gets to be part of the same poll.

I assume Valter only wants to gather the games for next year.

Why does the GOTY have to happen in January? What prevents the poll from taking place in say March or April the following year? By moving the poll, all games officially released in the same year gets to be part of the same poll.

Oh, that was just an example. It doesn't have to be in January, of course. My point was that there should be some cut-off for games to be included and that the poll should be sufficiently distant from it, to give ample time for people to get and play the games, and to avoid riding on the release hype of any title.

Also, a game released on the last week of December, which most people will not get to buy until later the next year, in my mind does not really qualify as a 2018 title since it really didn't participate during that year. You can get "technical" and count only release title, but honestly, if I release a game on December 31st at 11:30 PM, it's still technically in 2018.

I guess what I think we should measure is the impact a game has on a given year. A game released on the end of the year, where most people play it and enjoy it the following year, to me signifies that it is the best game of the following year. And there's really no real shame in that, it's actually a good thing. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

@DZ-Jay: Absolutely. I see that previous polls have been opened by the end of January, so perhaps that is tradition and the cut-off dates already are set. Tarzilla even wrote that "several people have asked me to start it sooner" which is the exact opposite to waiting longer for the poll so everyone got the chance to play the games.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274594-game-of-the-year-goty-2017-retro-version/

Keeping a list of possible releases probably makes it easier to later compile the definitive list of actually released games by the cut-off date.

@DZ-Jay: Absolutely. I see that previous polls have been opened by the end of January, so perhaps that is tradition and the cut-off dates already are set. Tarzilla even wrote that "several people have asked me to start it sooner" which is the exact opposite to waiting longer for the poll so everyone got the chance to play the games.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274594-game-of-the-year-goty-2017-retro-version/

Keeping a list of possible releases probably makes it easier to later compile the definitive list of actually released games by the cut-off date.

Well, I guess the reason for the cut-off is, like I said in my (updated) previous message, that giving people time to play in January and February a title which was released back in December, actually means that the title is being played on the following year -- therefore, shouldn't it be counted for that year's GotY?

-dZ.

Ah, sure, I agree. However, I think those lists are already being kept by many people here. I guess it doesn't harm to keep a list specifically of potential candidates for GotY, but I think it's redundant.

In any case, what I think we should avoid is influencing or affecting the decision of voters by artificially inflating the list of candidates. All things being equal, having a "list of potential candidates" separate from a "list of official candidates" may make sense; but we're all human, and we're not very good at arbitrarily separating things without bias. ;)

Just a thought.

-dZ.

-dZ.

I agree with you on everything

Oh, but with the exception of your last statement :P

-iV.

• Like 1

I suggest goty 2018 should include all games deliverd in 2018, even in christmas

reason why the vote will take place after january, say sometime in february... I guess this answer the comment for DZ as well.

• Like 3

I also suggest only games released to be purchased to the general public /community be included in. Not private releases or any with very limited runs. (Whats ever that is number could be agreed on by the community )

Say something like minimal of a 100 produced and released.

so the list update is the following, all the rest is rumor so far:

1) Beat Em & Eat Em (IntellivisionRevolution)
2) Astro Invaders (Collectorvision)
3) Laser Sharks (IntellivisionRevolution)
4) Sea Venture (IntellivisionRevolution)
5) Meteors (IntellivisionRevolution)
6 ) Intybasic Showcase Vol. 2 (IntellivisionRevolution)
7 ) Terminal Bugocity (IntellivisionRevolution/Groovybee)
8 ) The Secret Government Waffle Project (IntellivisionRevolution)

also people making a new game could be helpful telling if they want it to be in the list, or not (limited runs are a matter of discussion as suggested by m-crew)

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1