IGNORED

INTV GOTY 2018 results

But you expect to release it sometime in 2018 right? Even if you make it by December 31st 11:59:59 PM, it can be included in the GotY 2018 poll... :lol:

So we need a cutoff time that would suit all time zones since this time in North America would already be late afternoon on January 1 in Australia.

So we need a cutoff time that would suit all time zones since this time in North America would already be late afternoon on January 1 in Australia.

No, we don't. Stop the silliness.

If this is for games shipping in a calendar year, then the game just needs to ship in that year from its place of origin. No shipping option that I'm aware of lets someone ship a game at one minute before midnight, so it's a moot point, if it was even a serious one.

If this is for games shipping in a calendar year, then the game just needs to ship in that year from its place of origin. No shipping option that I'm aware of lets someone ship a game at one minute before midnight, so it's a moot point, if it was even a serious one.

Wait, are we counting the shipping time?? I thought it was the release time, which is when the announcement to open for sales is made.

Is it when the first order is shipped? What if it is not a sale but a promo? Or what if it gets delayed by the shipping company? So many questions!!

:grin:

Wait, are we counting the shipping time?? I thought it was the release time, which is when the announcement to open for sales is made.

Is it when the first order is shipped? What if it is not a sale but a promo? Or what if it gets delayed by the shipping company? So many questions!!

:grin:

It's the first shipping date. Between the announcement and shipping there can be changes, postponements, cancelations. But once that first copy is in the shipper's hands it's too late to make changes, it's committed.

My comment was clearly in jest.

But just for fun will someone please release a game just seconds before the new year. :party:

A crappy game will do...just anything to get it over the line. :thumbsup:

Edited by Utopia

It looks really good, but I second GroovyBee's comments from before that the physics look a bit weird when the rocks change their direction 180 degrees on every hit without altering the velocity, instead of just affecting velocity on X/Y vectors (which could lead to a change in direction by 180 degrees, but at a lower speed).

Also, the flickering is rather distracting on the HD video, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it on a TV screen. :)

After years waiting for space shooters (and still waiting for a galaga port) I'm glad we have several of that kind.

of corse gyruss is one of my all time favorites but I do not expect the intv to be able to do an exciting port, we'll see.

said so, the most interesting title so far imho is astro invader: not a famous arcade at the time, while probably this metors/asteroids would have been a selling hit

• Like 1

After years waiting for space shooters (and still waiting for a galaga port) I'm glad we have several of that kind.

of corse gyruss is one of my all time favorites but I do not expect the intv to be able to do an exciting port, we'll see.

said so, the most interesting title so far imho is astro invader: not a famous arcade at the time, while probably this metors/asteroids would have been a selling hit

I think artrag's demos show that a good Gyruss port is at least possible, even if Deep Zone is not it. Galaga, on the other hand, I think is much more difficult because of the dependency on the large screen space and many enemies at once. It is still possible, though, but it would have to be translated in some different way to play to the strengths of the Intellivision while retaining its Galaga characteristics -- and that is the hardest part, which I'm not sure many people can pull off.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I think artrag's demos show that a good Gyruss port is at least possible, even if Deep Zone is not it. Galaga, on the other hand, I think is much more difficult because of the dependency on the large screen space and many enemies at once. It is still possible, though, but it would have to be translated in some different way to play to the strengths of the Intellivision while retaining its Galaga characteristics -- and that is the hardest part, which I'm not sure many people can pull off.

-dZ.

same problem with galaxians so?

same problem with galaxians so?

You said Galaga, not Galaxians, which is a simpler game. To retain Galaga's "feel" across a platform translation is much more difficult than with Gyruss. As is illustrated in Deep Zone, you can have just a handful of enemies flying down at a time in simple attack pattern, and the warp effect and the circular player motion keeps the "feel" of Gyruss. In Galaga, the main drive is the acrobatic attack patterns of a group of enemies throughout the screen, while other enemies hover on top -- all shooting at you.

In my opinion, the screen area and the enemy counts are much to small on the Intellivision to provide a direct translation. A few compromises will need to be made and choosing the correct ones so as not too lose the "feel" of the original game is not trivial.

I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it was hard, and that I don't expect many people would be able to do it right.

-dZ.