IGNORED

WTB: Raspberry / Retropie Unit

TaskenLander

Hi,

I'm OFFICIALLY parting with my entire retro game collection. ALL of it. I now just want a nice lil' Raspberry Pi system in a cool, decorative case that I can turn on every now and then to get a quick "retro fix"... I am NOT tech savvy in the least and honestly don't have time to figure it out. I'd much rather just pay someone to put a unit of my choosing together that is fully loaded and ready to plug and play. Could either pay via PayPal or perhaps a trade of something from my collection I am selling.

Please let me know if you can help. I particularly would like one with a nice Hyperskin "attract mode" feature. :-)

Thank you in advance,

Michael

Edited by TaskenLander

This is not a bitch fest - even though after re-reading it I sound like I am - sorry about that! It's purely informational. Though I'd remove the "asking for preloaded ROMS" part from your post.

Couple things to keep in mind:

Raspberry Pi 3b+ boards with power are $50

Bare minimum case/housing $7 (good cases will double/triple this easily)

SD card - 32GB for $20 or 64GB for $33 (This is probably the one major spot you do NOT want to skimp - you don't want to chance a chinese knockoff. This will KILL your experience)

2 pack SNES USB pads from Amazon - $13 (Bluetooth/wireless will be more - my bluetooth controllers were $20 each used)

Cheap HDMI cable - $5

So just in hardware you're into this for $95-$110.

Now add the time to set it up and set up the controls. Just keep in mind that if you get offers to sell to you in the $150+ range (depending on the hardware) that's normal.

My first one cost me about $175 to get the way I have it now. Super Kuma 9000 case, 2 bluetooth controllers, 64GB SD card, 5v/3A power supply, 256GB USB thumb drive.

My 2nd one used some of the parts cast off from the first so it cost me closer to $75(I use a wired 360 controller, PS3 controller and 128GB thumb drive I owned. The cast-off case, 32GB SD card and PSU from first build.) This one may get torn down to put in the X-Arcade I got.

My 3rd one I'm not allowed to touch - that's my wife's board. |:)

Personally, I just use lakka.tv. It doesn't have all the flash of hyperspin or retropie but it's dead simple to setup and run. Put it in a NESPI case and get a couple of nice 8bitdo controllers and you're good. Like ClassicGMR said, the price adds up, but for $100-$125 you have a nice setup that plays 2600, 7800, NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, 32X, SegaCD, lots of arcade, PS1, lots of N64, and more on your 4K HDMI TV. :)

Recalbox is my poison. It's easy to use like Lakka apparently is, and it's not too tough to add games if you've set up a network.

Honestly, I think the cost of the Raspberry Pi was exaggerated. You will need a lot of the stuff that was mentioned, but many of us already have a spare HDMI cable and USB controllers. I bought a Pi for $35 and the case (including heat sinks, a fan, and a power supply with a built in switch) for another $15. That's fifty bucks so far. Then you'll need a good SD card... mine was $11, but fifteen dollars is a good threshold for a 32GB card with a good read/write speed. That's $65; less than a Super Retrocade will cost you. You'll have to bring your own video cable and joysticks, but believe me when I say that the Raspberry Pi will be much more accommodating for the controllers you've already got than a Super Retrocade will. It'll also run games better.

I question the wisdom of selling your collection- I've had to sell games in the past, and once they're gone it's extremely difficult to replace them- but if you want a single box that can run games for a dozen different systems, it doesn't get much better than the Pi. The classic Xbox is also a pretty good solution, but that's going to take more work.

That's $65; less than a Super Retrocade will cost you. You'll have to bring your own video cable and joysticks, but believe me when I say that the Raspberry Pi will be much more accommodating for the controllers you've already got than a Super Retrocade will. It'll also run games better.

Did you miss my 2nd personal build that I already had major parts for? Was about $75. :)

Hi,

I'm OFFICIALLY parting with my entire retro game collection. ALL of it. I now just want a nice lil' Raspberry Pi system in a cool, decorative case that I can turn on every now and then to get a quick "retro fix"... I am NOT tech savvy in the least and honestly don't have time to figure it out. I'd much rather just pay someone to put a unit of my choosing together that is fully loaded and ready to plug and play. Could either pay via PayPal or perhaps a trade of something from my collection I am selling.

I think that's a fantastic idea. Many people are going that way today. For the most part I've gone that way myself years ago, and all that remains are a couple sentimental vintage PCs and boatload of Apple II material, which I'm getting closer to whittling down to the basics. Bulky hardware and walls of cartridges and tubs of controllers is honestly really "so yesterday". A burden. Back in the day I knew a lot of people that lusted after shelves of consoles and tons of carts. Some of them totally gave up on it recently too. That stuff can and does consume you!

If you do take the time and become tech-savvy a whole new world of convenience and versatility opens up. And it is perfectly ok, even recommended, to have a tiny NUC or mini-PC to conduct other emulation activities, like running Altirra, the premier Atari 400/800 8-bit emulator. Or to do file management. Lotsa stuff!

Edited by Keatah

I think that's a fantastic idea. Many people are going that way today.

Did it years ago as well. Difference with my collection is I went with loaders on my favorite systems so I could play on the original hardware:

NES with an Everdrive N8

SNES with a Super Everdrive

N64 with Ultra Everdrive64 v3

Atari 2600 with Harmony cart

Intellivision with LTO Flash

Panasonic 3DO - plays CD-Rs with no modifications

Nintendo DS with R4

Nintendo Gameboy Advance with an XRom loader cart. (It's OLD. I have to keep WinXP in a VM to load games onto it and it's spotty. Needs to be replaced with an Everdrive SOMEDAY.)

PSP 1000 running 6.60 CFW for portable emulation

My actual "collection" now fits in my computer desk's hutch in my office including the Sony Trinitron 20" tv I got on Craigslist.

Everything else is in my X-Arcade cabinet, laptop and 2 RetroPie systems.

Edited by ClassicGMR