IGNORED

Best Console Games Available on Smartphones

I've noticed that a bunch of games that originally came out on home and portable consoles are now available on phones. Some of those games include GTA: San Andreas, Knights of the Old Republic, pretty much every Final Fantasy or The World Ends with You, to name a few that come to mind. I spend a lot of time on buses and I'm looking some games I can play without an internet connection and on my phone or tablet and I hate ads and micro-transactions, so is there a comprehensive list of games that were released on consoles and made the transition to smartphones? Which ones do you recommend the most? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Stuff comes in and out of the app stores all the time, and you didn't specify what device you have. No, there's not a "comprehensive list" because it would be insane to maintain.

Get thee to www.toucharcade.com and www.appshopper.com and read lots of reviews.

X-Com, KOTOR, Bully, Jade Empire, Civilization VI, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and the Final Fantasy and Dragon's Quest series would be a good place to start. I'd also consider branching away from console ports since many of the best games are exclusive to mobile.

Stuff comes in and out of the app stores all the time, and you didn't specify what device you have. No, there's not a "comprehensive list" because it would be insane to maintain.

Get thee to www.toucharcade.com and www.appshopper.com and read lots of reviews.

X-Com, KOTOR, Bully, Jade Empire, Civilization VI, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and the Final Fantasy and Dragon's Quest series would be a good place to start. I'd also consider branching away from console ports since many of the best games are exclusive to mobile.

You're right! I should have specified that I have an Android phone. I'll look up some of the titles you recommended. Thanks!

Being an Android gamer is a bit like being a Mac gamer in the 1990s ... you don't get everything, and not always right away, but the big hits usually find their way there. Here are some PC and console-style games that are "pay once, play forever."

Chrono Trigger

Vice City

Indigo Prophecy

Oceanhorn

Grim Fandango

Jade Empire

Dragon Quest 8

Knights of the Old Republic

Baldur's Gate II

If I were smarter, I'd latch on to ONE of these and play it for weeks, then move on to another one. Mmmmm, chewy.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd say unless you have some sort of controller attachment, or feel like carrying an Xbox One controller around with you (newer ones work with Bluetooth), it's probably best to stick with games that don't have complicated, fast action controls. For me that would mean sticking mainly with RPG's and adventure games, of which there are a bunch of good ones in Flojomojo's list. And also Final Fantasy.

Given that the Neo-Geo MVS and AES are the same, and the AES is a console release there are some SNK games you can enjoy. There's Neo Turf Masters oddly not released by them, the others are though. They are: Metal Slug 1-2-3-X, KOF 97-98, Samurai Shodown 2, Blazing Star, Garou Mark of the Wolves,and Fatal Fury Special. I think they cost between 99cents to like maybe $4.

Cowboy Rodeo converted the console/computer games of Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Dreams (from DICE/21st Century Entertainment) and they play great.

Terraria is a console and handheld game that started on and still is supported on iOS and Android too.

Square/Enix stuff is usually pretty expensive, they love to pinch those pennies as does Namco too. Namco though are kind of idiots, they had some really nice stuff out but refused to update it to 64bit so it was delisted. A Dreamcast pretty looking version of Soul Calibur comes to mind, also Time Crisis 2, Mr Driller, and I had those 3 and there were others -- all gone.

Galaga Wars is kinda neat, though it has free-to-play (in my opinion, it's probably best to get used to that style, it's not going away.

I liked that Soul Calibur port, but in retrospect it wasn't that special since it didn't have any progression. Tekken Mobile is a card collector but gives you more reasons to play every day.

For old console games, Sega Forever has a mess of Genesis games and there's always Crazy Taxi.