IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Just now, Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo said:

Hold it! Some might say it was evil PowerA that cut corners instead of them :P

Some might also believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden ... there is a clear theme of deceit with this project and it always points to FArtari and they always try to blame someone else ... almost as though they have been reading one of Donald Trumps “how to be a success in business” little golden books.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo said:

Speaking of videos... Here's the latest in the oven

Mine feels fragile and cheap too, have to treat it like a delicate flower, for fear of breaking it

Gee - strange.  I seem to recall a few of us, maybe a few dozen actually, commenting on the design of that stick.  All the way back to when they showed face pictures of it, on a fake table, with fake gears and springs everywhere.  We were told to stop being so negative, and it would obviously be OK.

• Like 4

As some here are prompt with a "colourful" negative, I think they're missing a YouTube career;
putting the comments into a video with other people here who share similar views on Atari!

When you backed the project, were you ever as excited as this, or always a VCS sceptic?
I definitely think somebody could make a fun video, from this thread's own responders! ?

There was a video earlier posted by an Amico fan, saying are we back to the old days of an
Atari vs. Intellivision war. (I don't think they're in competition this time round, and I don't
know why everything has to be described "a war".) I've got a VCS, and follow Amico too.

Edited by justclaws
Added a missing 'e' typo to 'here' in the 1st sentence.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, justclaws said:

As some her are prompt with a "colourful" negative, I think they're missing a YouTube career,
putting the comments into a video with other people here who share similar views on Atari!

I literally have no idea what this sentence means.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

"I have blisters on me fingers!"

What a callous thing to say! ?

I was mildly interested in this controller but looking at the build quality I have to give it a hard pass. Looks like another example of aesthetics over practicality. But then again, that’s been their obvious business acumen all along.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Scotterpop said:

I was mildly interested in this controller but looking at the build quality I have to give it a hard pass. Looks like another example of aesthetics over practicality. But then again, that’s been their obvious business acumen all along.

"We got the angles right!!"

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Scotterpop said:

Hey - just like the Fuji logo on the (un)console, this thing's got LEDs.  That counts for something right?  Everyone loves LEDs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paul Slocum said:

FYI: This was posted on Reddit, emphasis mine: "Atari has said in the official Discord that users should not use 4k mode right now because it is causing OS corruption. Until an OS update is released they ask that you do not use my 4k mode."

1963337069_ScreenShot2021-01-19at7_16_22AM.thumb.png.650ddcdcfb71c46d7c96ea3ae40b5361.png

Are they setting up a full-screen framebuffer somewhere unprotected that's just stomping all over other unprotected memory?

It's understandable how something similar happened in 1984's Jet Set Willy attic bug, but how the hell does a modern OS allow that to take place?

I'd really like to know what build options were specified for that kernel.  That just...  No.  Shouldn't be happening.

So... Code injection, anyone? :evil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

FYI: This was posted on Reddit, emphasis mine: "Atari has said in the official Discord that users should not use 4k mode right now because it is causing OS corruption. Until an OS update is released they ask that you do not use my 4k mode."

1963337069_ScreenShot2021-01-19at7_16_22AM.thumb.png.650ddcdcfb71c46d7c96ea3ae40b5361.png

"Please don't use this extremely common, advertised feature because you might screw your entire system."

I guess that's where the "play and stream like never before" came from.... because it's true, I've never heard that before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

So, in the roughly four weeks since the first units made it out to people, we've observed:

• A buggy storefront (truly not a big deal when banking, credit card, or personally-identifying information is involved)
  • An OS that doesn't know what multiuser means (the kids can go get their own damn VCS and TV to use it with; dad's email is too important)
  • Credentials stored in cleartext (no salted hashes mean less CPU overhead)
  • Controllers that break (a great way to eliminate RSI risks)
  • BIOS protections defeated by a paperclip (guess that's what was meant by 'open system')
  • Video that pisses all over the OS (the non-broadcast version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'Relax' video was played one too many times in development and it got ideas)

I've probably left a couple of things out, but that's not a good initial track record - particularly given that every bullet point on that list is in some way part of what should be a core competency of the system.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

So, in the roughly four weeks since the first units made it out to people, we've observed:

• A buggy storefront (truly not a big deal when banking, credit card, or personally-identifying information is involved)
  • An OS that doesn't know what multiuser means (the kids can go get their own damn VCS and TV to use it with; dad's email is too important)
  • Credentials stored in cleartext (no salted hashes mean less CPU overhead)
  • Controllers that break (a great way to eliminate RSI risks)
  • BIOS protections defeated by a paperclip (guess that's what was meant by 'open system')
  • Video that pisses all over the OS (the non-broadcast version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'Relax' video was played one too many times in development and it got ideas)

I've probably left a couple of things out, but that's not a good initial track record - particularly given that every bullet point on that list is in some way part of what should be a core competency of the system.

But hey - ALL of this is our fault.  It was our negative attitudes that caused this. AA trolls should be ashamed at the damage they have caused.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, justclaws said:

As some here are prompt with a "colourful" negative, I think they're missing a YouTube career;

When you backed the project, were you ever as excited as this, or always a VCS sceptic?
I definitely think somebody could make a fun video, from this thread's own responders! ?

Yeah, we have some fun, but I don't think you'd want that if you want to see the VCS do well, as it would highlight Atari's lies, incompetence and their talent at cutting corners. Have you ever wondered why a lot of big companies don't do business with them? Because they do things like they did with PowerA - throw them under the bus the moment a problem pops up instead of admitting that they didn't want to pay the extra cost to make something work/to live up to their promise.

I'm curious why this (and the list of big issues that x=usr mentioned above) doesn't appear to bother you at all? Atari is screwing backers like yourself over by cutting costs (everyone also recall that VCS designer Rob Wyatt specifically leveled this accusation against Atari when he sued them for non-payment). 

Right now, most people are laughing at the VCS on YouTube, noticing that for a 2020 game console, it only manages to run most games at 720p, low/medium settings. Anyone claiming that's "amazing" or "decent" for games must have been living under a rock for the past 15 years. Meanwhile, VCS fans are claiming vindication since they setup incredibly low bars to reach. "See, it shipped, what a success!" "See, Cyberpunk launches on it, amazing!" "See, it does do 4K video, incredible!" Never mind the important details that CP needs a bunch of mods to even work and it plays worse than on the Xbox One S ("you can count the frames" is what the one YouTuber who did that stated), or that the 4K video is corrupting the OS(I mean, WTF is that, lol)? 

The CX-40 was the only thing in this fiasco that was interesting to me, but I am not surprised that they couldn't even get that right too. Glad I passed on it.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I'm curious why this (and the list of big issues that x=usr mentioned above) doesn't appear to bother you at all? 

There are lots of people who are talking about the negatives of Atari, and the VCS. For months, nothing else,
with many people saying it would never ship, it's a scam, no games, hardware is old, bad quality, etc. etc..
They have video-gaming channels, and people care what they say, and people follow them and repost here.

For me, I bought one to have fun with, both as a console, and as a PC, as did most other people, and many
other people just want to make the most of what they bought, and to enjoy their purchase. Can't you see it?

This is an Atari named forum, and so I, and others, want to come to AtariAge to make the most of the console,
no matter what other people say. People also consistently laughed at my Atari Jaguar, and mostly still do today.
Somehow the fact that there's a new community of Atari VCS owners who are enthusiastic, is upsetting some.

There are forums for all the other consoles I don't own, but I don't see the need to go into those forums to tell
people who bought those, that they are somehow wrong, or stupid. Each to their own. Live and let live, for me.
I cannot imagine wasting time being angry about something I don't own, won't own, and does not affect me.

I don't have all the other consoles or a gaming PC. I bought the VCS. Now I just want to make the most of it.
Video-games are not my life. I have work, relationships, children, and now a new hobby, playing on my VCS.

(Oh, and finally, what some people say, bothers me not at all, as I have already previously clicked "ignore".)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, justclaws said:

For me, I bought one to have fun with, both as a console, and as a PC, as did most other people, and many
other people just want to make the most of what they bought, and to enjoy their purchase. Can't you see it?

This is an Atari named forum, and so I, and others, want to come to AtariAge to make the most of the console,
no matter what other people say. People also consistently laughed at my Atari Jaguar, and mostly still do today.
Somehow the fact that there's a new community of Atari VCS owners who are enthusiastic, is upsetting some.

Is my presence here stopping here from enjoying your purchase? Nope. You've posted a lot in this subforum about it and I don't see anyone challenging you on every thing and telling you not to enjoy it. I've read some things in the other posts that I don't agree with but I refrain from saying anything - I also have plenty of other things to do and care about. As it is, I haven't read most of the topics here, mainly just this one, but seems that it's mainly this thread is where some deign to point out the negatives. I did catch that Mockduck noticed that the 4K output on it is pretty sub-par. 

Enthusiasm of the console isn't "upsetting" anyone by what I can see. We're just baffled by why you and others ignore the serious problems this product and it's parent company have that wouldn't be tolerated if the logo on the unit were different. There are some who are shilling hard for it and acting like it's a PS5 killer (not here, more on Facebook and YouTube) that's hilarious to watch, but not upsetting.  

There are forums for all the other consoles I don't own, but I don't see the need to go into those forums to tell
people who bought those, that they are somehow wrong, or stupid. Each to their own. Live and let live, for me.
I cannot imagine wasting time being angry about something I don't own, won't own, and does not affect me.

I don't have all the other consoles or a gaming PC. I bought the VCS. Now I just want to make the most of it.
Video-games are not my life. I have work, relationships, children, and now a new hobby, playing on my VCS.

(Oh, and finally, what some people say, bothers me not at all, as I have already previously clicked "ignore".)

No one is calling you stupid. Atari - sure, I think they've been extremely incompetent in how they've handled this. If you've tied your emotional wagon to them in such a way that you take any insults towards Atari as a personal insult, then that's not my problem. If you disagree with any of the points brought up, then you and other defenders are at full liberty to set the record straight. If you can't though, then that again comes back to Atari and not providing sensible reasons as to why the system has terrible security, little to no original content, broken features, cheap joysticks and so on.

You defenders like to use this red herring about haters saying that we're all "angry." Pointing out big problems with a product isn't anger. If anyone should be angry it's the backers in getting the shaft on a poor quality product, or Rob Wyatt who got stiffed on payments. I just come here for a laugh and out of curiosity in watching the train wreck unfold as I'm fascinated by underdog products and business failures. I think we all are to a degree for anyone who has paid attention to anything past the Atari 2600. ;) 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Because they do things like they did with PowerA - throw them under the bus the moment a problem pops up instead of admitting that they didn't want to pay the extra cost to make something work/to live up to their promise.

Let's not forget that PowerA got the contract after Atari SA tried to screw over dreamGEAR, the initial controller contractors.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1