IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Good interview.  Getting the additional background on his part in the saga was very interesting, and I particularly liked the Arzt / chipsets anecdote.  That one in particular really painted a picture.

The Amico's not really on my radar simply because I'm not an Intellivision guy, but his perspective on that was also worth hearing.

Thanks for conducting the interview!

• Like 3

I am only 15 minutes in and have to ask... why does he keep saying it would be good if they made like a 50 dollar classic mini Atari?  I mean the flashbacks preceeded all of the new mini classic systems and have been around for years.  For them to just crank out another one, who would care?  (I have a Flashback 8 and it sits in my closet after I used it once)

3 minutes ago, leech said:

I am only 15 minutes in and have to ask... why does he keep saying it would be good if they made like a 50 dollar classic mini Atari?  I mean the flashbacks preceeded all of the new mini classic systems and have been around for years.

He does expand on that later in the interview, but the gist of it is that Atari SA could have had a product in retail channels reasonably-quickly at a more attractive price point than the VCS.

3 minutes ago, leech said:

For them to just crank out another one, who would care?  (I have a Flashback 8 and it sits in my closet after I used it once)

Agreed; I have an FB1 & FB2 and neither one saw much use more than a few days after I got it.

They are definitely a who-cares item at this point, but each FB release does sell.  It would have been a way for Atari SA to build brand recognition, have an income stream, and make themselves at least slightly relevant in today's gaming world.  That, in turn, would've helped with getting a buyout from another company - though I'll admit that that part is partly conjecture on my behalf.

• Like 1

Why would they do that though? They have such a hit* on their hands with the VCS.

*DISCLAIMER: Definition of "hit" may change, including but not limited to "retail hit, social hit, maybe a hit, potential for a hit, greater than zero chance for a hit, definitely not a hit, just a hit in my house, and/or hit with all people that are also my immediate family" depending upon how far the goal posts need to move in response to replies

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On 3/31/2021 at 9:42 PM, leech said:

(I have a Flashback 8 and it sits in my closet after I used it once)

I got a 9 gold for Xmas a while back.... I haven't even taken it out of the box. 

The Kieren interview was good. No surprises in there, but good to hear it from his perspective. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Does anyone else read "Kieren" in the retro gaming context and immediately distrust whatever comes next, then have to double take when you realize it's a DIFFERENT one?

Man, even the name is ruined anymore.

Yes

• Like 1

I'd think that even if you gave the Flashback internet connectivity, access to all the popular streaming services and an online store you could use to download newly licensed games I'd still struggle to take it out of the box.

If they could keep the price below $100 though, they might at least get retail interested in it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd think that even if you gave the Flashback internet connectivity, access to all the popular streaming services and an online store you could use to download newly licensed games I'd still struggle to take it out of the box.

If they could keep the price below $100 though, they might at least get retail interested in it.

Clearly the system is not something you'd even be interested in at all.  Because I mean, that's basically what it is.  A Flashback, with some more oomph to it to run Switch +/- level games. 

• Like 3

On 3/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, godslabrat said:

I had a chat with Kieren McCarthy about his misadventures with the Atari SA crew.  Not much new information, but a few additional details putting his existing articles in context.  In particular, the fascination with "chipsets" Mike Artz had.

He also ventures a few opinions on the Amico, which I wasn't expecting.

Nice interview!

So are people gaming and streaming like never before? It has been released for a while now and really haven't heard much about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Does anyone else read "Kieren" in the retro gaming context and immediately distrust whatever comes next, then have to double take when you realize it's a DIFFERENT one?

Man, even the name is ruined anymore.

Yeah - when I saw the video posting, I started to reply with "Don't believe anything that piece of s..." - oh wait, this is a different guy.  Almost had to issue an apology :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Nice interview!

So are people gaming and streaming like never before? It has been released for a while now and really haven't heard much about it.

Yeah - good interview.  For anyone that says they were being harsh or just bashing the product, there was a lot of details left out.  Things like having nothing but renderings for over half the project, the empty shell which only lit up an LED, faked screenshots using fake controllers, the Tempest 4000 debacle, etc.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Nice interview!

I never used Geforce Now before.  Does that count?  I also never use Chrome to stream / browse outside of the VCS... mainly because I dislike Google.  Gaming is fun with the joystick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yeah - good interview.  For anyone that says they were being harsh or just bashing the product, there was a lot of details left out.  Things like having nothing but renderings for over half the project, the empty shell which only lit up an LED, faked screenshots using fake controllers, the Tempest 4000 debacle, etc.

That's by design.  In a situation like this, I think it's really important to let the guest outline what details are and are not crucial.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

That's by design.  In a situation like this, I think it's really important to let the guest outline what details are and are not crucial.

Definitely - the major relevant points were pointed out conclusively.  Those of us that "get it", got it thee years ago.  Those who don't, did not and never will and that's fine.  Now that this has pretty much all passed, how long until the next one I wonder?

• Like 4

Been a while since I checked in - haven't looked at the VCS forums in quite a while and I didn't bother to catch up on the pages I'd missed.

Seems that if you don't intentionally go looking for it, you can surf the web for weeks & weeks checking out gaming news on a daily basis, including obscure stuff of what's going on with indies and arcade games, and not hear a single thing about the VCS. Odd bit of marketing from Atari's end!

Bold Commentary GIF - Bold Commentary LetsGo GIFs

Last I checked, Atari was saying a general release in March, I think it was? Since we're in April now, is Tempest 4000 being played and streamed like never before and is the VCS in stock in giant piles at Wal-Mart, GameStop and your local friendly game store that survived the pandemic? I've visited a few of these places in my area in recent weeks and not seen any hints of it's existence or heard anyone talking about it, so I'm unsure if I might have overlooked the massive retro revival it will bring to gaming as I've read about around here before. ;)

Just curious!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Been a while since I checked in - haven't looked at the VCS forums in quite a while and I didn't bother to catch up on the pages I'd missed.

Seems that if you don't intentionally go looking for it, you can surf the web for weeks & weeks checking out gaming news on a daily basis, including obscure stuff of what's going on with indies and arcade games, and not hear a single thing about the VCS. Odd bit of marketing from Atari's end!

Bold Commentary GIF - Bold Commentary LetsGo GIFs

Last I checked, Atari was saying a general release in March, I think it was? Since we're in April now, is Tempest 4000 being played and streamed like never before and is the VCS in stock in giant piles at Wal-Mart, GameStop and your local friendly game store that survived the pandemic? I've visited a few of these places in my area in recent weeks and not seen any hints of it's existence or heard anyone talking about it, so I'm unsure if I might have overlooked the massive retro revival it will bring to gaming as I've read about around here before. ;)

Just curious!

Just matters what your definition of "hit" is...

• Haha 6