IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

On 5/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Doesn't the VCS require a bunch of personal info to make an account, email included, and then stores all that data in an easy-to-find, unencrypted file? Not sure how Linux or Atari wins a point there.

Ha, that's on Atari.  Pretty sure I mentioned their store is currently garbage and needed to be fixed (haven't checked in months, so not sure if they fixed it or not).  They finally convinced me to create one of those temp cc card things though.  :P

On 5/30/2021 at 2:39 PM, jerseystyle said:

I guarantee you that the average consumer doesn’t care about at least 4 of those 5 points listed. I don’t even get what three of them are. No one is gonna buy the VCS because of “telemetry” issues with Windows 10. Why are you even talking about this, other than to give people on here another example of the contortions VCS “fans” are putting themselves through to create relevancy.  If you like the VCS (it’s okay to like it!) then great, but honestly no one else is going to care if they don’t already.

I do like the VCS.  My dislike for Microsoft goes back as far as the Win95 days, when I spent 100 bucks (I had a crap job at the time) on the Microsoft Home Essentials, as I needed a word processor, and they were not selling Word by itself.  Then within a month, they released Office '97, and offered zero upgrade options.  Basically just almost immediately deprecating the 100 dollars worth of software.  Though I should thank them, I no longer have a crap job because of their bland interface, lack of caring about supporting some older stuff, I ended up learning Linux and loved it!

The point isn't that people are going to buy the VCS because of Telemetry issues in Windows, they may install Linux on it as a little extra computer, because Windows 10 license costs money, and Linux doesn't have Telemetry Unless you really want it to, in which case there are things like the popularity contest of packages that Debian uses, for example.  But I mean that literally just tells them which packages people install so they can know better what to put priority to bug fix, but the option is off by default.) 

You've contorted my point.  My point was that there are reasons why you would install Linux on the system instead of Windows 10.

10 hours ago, Jinks said:

The VCS is not anywhere close to the same market from what I understand.

Uh what?  Atari just opened a mega chip-factory in China and also tried to buy Nintendo.  Was there a time paradox event in Canada recently? :ponder:

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Uh what?  Atari just opened a mega chip-factory in China and also tried to buy Nintendo.  Was there a time paradox event in Canada recently? :ponder:

I was trying to be not too offensive. This VCS  is kid glove territory from what I understand. 

Finally got the chance to play with a Retro Pie while on vacation and have to say that anyone who thinks it is an equivalent experience to buying a VCS is on crack. Was cool, but generally okay-ish emulation and a terrible user experience, not to mention the actual work and hassle to get it going.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Finally got the chance to play with a Retro Pie while on vacation and have to say that anyone who thinks it is an equivalent experience to buying a VCS is on crack. Was cool, but generally okay-ish emulation and a terrible user experience, not to mention the actual work and hassle to get it going.

Have to admit that I've never been a fan of RetroPie either.  It promises a lot, but what it takes to get it even partially-working is ridiculous.

A lot of the backend stuff is appalling, too - half-assedly backported drivers in MAME, DAPHNE is ancient and buggy, etc.  If only as much effort had been put into the core parts of the platform as the UI received.

• Like 1

I've been using RetroPie for a few years and it's a heck of a lot better than it used to be. The main limitation is the quality of the LibRetro cores, and that's an issue with RetroArch generally; you're all right with mainstream consoles like the VCS, SNES, PlayStation, etc. but the more modern and obscure systems can be pretty awful compared to dedicated emulators, and you're choosing between a selection of ancient MAME forks on actual Pi hardware. The main positive is that EmulationStation is a really nice front end once you've got it configured. Well, it is if you use a keyboard at least. I'm not sure how I'd go on it with just a controller.

Lakka, Batocera and especially Recalbox are alternatives that do basically the same thing and are much easier to set up if it's too much of a struggle. They'll all give you the same limitations with RetroArch though.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

The main limitation is the quality of the LibRetro cores, and that's an issue with RetroArch generally

Additionally, both libretro and RetroArch have done some things in the direction of emulator authors and contributors (MAME in particular) that I find unethical and, as such, unacceptable.  It's not really something I want to derail this thread with, but suffice to say that the information is publically-available.

45 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

choosing between a selection of ancient MAME forks on actual Pi hardware

Yup.  This is precisely what I was referring to with my "half-assedly backported drivers in MAME" comment.

47 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

The main positive is that EmulationStation is a really nice front end once you've got it configured.

Agreed.  It's just unfortunate that it's the shine on the RetroPie turd.

48 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Lakka, Batocera and especially Recalbox are alternatives that do basically the same thing and are much easier to set up if it's too much of a struggle. They'll all give you the same limitations with RetroArch though.

Yup.

FWIW, a lot of this comes out of my frustrations with setting up RetroPie in a dedicated DAPHNE cabinet.  It ended up being a lot easier to build QMC2 from scratch (on an RPi 3B, so not exactly a quick build), set it as the default window manager, and use that for the laserdisc games.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Or got to him and did worse... :skull:

No way.  Atari didn't kill him.  First of all, they can't do anything themselves, they'd have to outsource it.  And hitmen don't sue you when you refuse to pay, you just become an extra client.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

No way.  Atari didn't kill him.  First of all, they can't do anything themselves, they'd have to outsource it.  And hitmen don't sue you when you refuse to pay, you just become an extra client.

"I am not only the president of Hitmen for Hire, I'm also a target."  BLAM!

• Haha 5

I don’t see anything being released, and no one in media is talking about it. No buzz, not even from Atari. What happened to all the people who said that this would compete in store with Switch and Microsoft? The Netflix moms? For those who bought it, do you feel a bit ill used by Atari seemingly dropping support already?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4