IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

58 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

And Power Dubbs is not an employee of FArtari? He does it for love of it?

I have real problems believing he and the other 5 Shills aren’t being remunerated in some way ... they are too prolific to just be fans ... it has to be a bargain basement Social Media Team. 

He could be employed by them and not get paid.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Chopsus said:

And Power Dubbs is not an employee of FArtari? He does it for love of it?

I have real problems believing he and the other 5 Shills aren’t being remunerated in some way ... they are too prolific to just be fans ... it has to be a bargain basement Social Media Team. 

He's apparently sunk money into their stock, and probably their token as well. He's trying to make/not lose money.

It seems like a crap ton of work to make a few hundred/thousand bucks, but yeah. If you look at when he started posting here and trying to get people to invest, Atari SA hovered around .40€, from a peak a little over half a euro right after the Ataribox announcement. It cratered to .17€ during the depths of the VCS development nonsense, and as I predicted, is seeing a bump now at release, closing at .45€ today. If he really went in hard at .17 he might be doing okay, but that's a long time to (vigorously) pump a penny stock to see a return.

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tell you what - Atari's penny stocks are going to tumble as fast as CD Projekt's did after the wonderful release of CyberPunk 2077.  Here's the link showing a 33% loss in 3 days! https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-projekt-red-stock-decline-cyberpunk-2077  Anyone who owns this shit stock (Atari) - should listen to me, and dump it now.  You stand to lose pennies if you don't heed m y warning.  You can thank me later!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, racerx said:

He's apparently sunk money into their stock, and probably their token as well. He's trying to make/not lose money.

This is a pattern with him.  He did this a few years back on another forum I happen to also be on that is focussed on cars.

His brilliant idea: buy a very-low-production-volume luxury sedan with some issues, fix it up, and flip it while letting everyone know what a savvy entrepreneur he is.  I'll just say that it was about as good of an investment as his stock recommendations, and he was about as welcoming of others' advice in that regard as he was with the stock.

It ended in much the same way: with everyone laughing at him and using him as an object lesson in what not to do.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AlecRob said:

Atari, SA hatred: because Tramiel’s Atari of the 80s and early 90s was soooo great.  lol 

at least this atari actually somewhat listens to fans, like how they updated the VCS specs several times during development. And used a ryzen CPU at fans request.  Tramiel’s Atari flopped because they were ridiculously out of touch with the public

Right, and a company that has lied to their fans for 3 years running, smearing professional journalists as trolls, deleting uncomfortable questions, doing absolutely nothing more than milking the IP for everything it's worth, not paying their contractors, begging for money on every crowdfunding platform imaginable, touting digital items as some great idea, whoring the Atari name & logo out to every dumb idea they can come across and producing nothing original at all in over five years is ridiculously in touch with their fans. 

I'd take the Tramiels over Atari SA in a heartbeat, because they actually did give it a good run with what little resources they had. 

and released 90 percent garbage games for 7800 and Jaguar.   

As opposed to the awesome non-garbage VCS, with is brimming with such original games like the Atari Mega Vault. ? How many exclusives does the VCS have vs. every other Atari console ever made? Oh yeah, so far that's zero.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I wish they had put the logo and the last remaining IP on crowdfunding and handed the reigns to Albert/AtariAge.  I'll throw a little coin at that.  Maybe they can still do that, cash one last check, and let someone with real passion for the brand carry it with some f'ing dignity.

Edited by orange808
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TACODON said:

Not to defend Dubs but if he has money to burn like this I guess he did something right once?

Or he has insane debt?

Put it this way: he was buying a car that was relatively cheap (read: less than the average price of a new car) on the secondhand market.

Depreciation on vehicles in the luxury category is staggering.  Some hold their values, but most don't, and, once they reach their 3rd owner, they've generally made it to the person who wants to drive something nice but can't afford to maintain it.  My guess is that he was probably the 5th owner of this particular one.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Put it this way: he was buying a car that was relatively cheap (read: less than the average price of a new car) on the secondhand market.

Depreciation on vehicles in the luxury category is staggering.  Some hold their values, but most don't, and, once they reach their 3rd owner, they've generally made it to the person who wants to drive something nice but can't afford to maintain it.  My guess is that he was probably the 5th owner of this particular one.

Amazing how much effort people will spend on scamming rather than say, maybe, actually working an honest living for their money.  Although I'm seeing more examples even on here lately of people that would rather just come online and beg other people for shit (time, money, code, favorurs, etc.) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Not worth the price point. Where have I heard that before? 

"This console is not worth the price point they're asking for it, if you're looking to relive the classics in a 'simple package'." is the complete quote.

And "simple classics" is not the only reason people purchased it.

Edited by MrSeven
punctuation
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, MrSeven said:

"This console is not worth the price point they're asking for it, if you're looking to relive the classics in a 'simple package'." is the complete quote.

Nope.  It also looks really cool according to... *checks notes* some people.

• Haha 6

Here's the link to his tear down.

Given that most everyone was thinking that at least Atari/PowerA could get the CX-40 right, I'm sure that hearing that it's "very cheap... not the best, but it's alright" will instill one with confidence. And that they keyed the USB port...lol.

And so the VCS' meteoric rise to becoming a forgettable, low powered emulation machine begins straight away. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MrSeven said:

If you've got a halfway decent PC, what other reason would there be?  

• Like 1

Non-teardown photos of the innards have been posted, along with commentary on the joysticks and USB ports designed to make it a pain to use generic cables with them.

If you really, Really, REALLY like to look at the guts of low-powered PCs, boy are you gonna love those shots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Non-teardown photos of the innards have been posted, along with commentary on the joysticks and USB ports designed to make it a pain to use generic cables with them.

If you really, Really, REALLY like to look at the guts of low-powered PCs, boy are you gonna love those shots.

Slow today, that link was posted already, 4 hours before you. :P

• Haha 3