IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

God knows there's no telling what they're aiming for from their vision page, but it certainly makes excellent use of buzzwords.

I see that they will offer "Stylized rooms inspired by great science fiction stories". I don´t know how wise it is to mix science fiction into this. One theme is enough. I love science fiction, so it is fine by me, but others may feel differently. If it is just about making the rooms look futuristic, that´s fine though.

Come to think of it, it is probably a bad idea to make all the rooms wacky video game themed rooms. It would be a little over the top. But some rooms should be that way.

8 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

Can there be such a thing as a video game based on linguistic and/or mental gymnastics?  We all know about dance/rhythm games, in which players have to stretch and strain themselves to match difficult dance moves, or to reproduce challenging musical performances.  Could there be a game in which they are challenged to contort themselves in the same way to defend increasingly untenable points of view?  I think "Atari" has the potential to create a whole new game genre here, and judging from their biggest fans, they seem to have a built-in audience which is already primed to play.

Ah, the good old "I can´t refute your rational arguments, so instead I will insult you". How original. 

Obviously there's plenty of love for Microsoft among the managerial classes, because roughly half the software development jobs out there just use their entire stack.

So far as gaming goes, they've managed to sell 160 million more consoles than Atari in the past couple of decades and 95% of Steam users run Windows too.

Besides, you don't need to be loved to have a strong brand. It's enough to be known and have your products used. Most companies would rather be Toyota than Maserati, after all.

Edited by Matt_B
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Obviously there's plenty of love for Microsoft among the managerial classes, because roughly half the software development jobs out there just use their entire stack.

So far as gaming goes, they've managed to sell 160 million more consoles than Atari in the past couple of decades and 95% of Steam users run Windows too.

Besides, you don't need to be loved to have a strong brand. It's enough to be known and have your products used. Most companies would rather be Toyota than Maserati, after all.

I think, in terms of gaming, "Xbox" and "Microsoft" are distinct brands, even if they happen to be owned and operated by the same organization.  This lets consumers have a doublethink where they love Xbox but hate Microsoft, even though that makes no sense if you think about it for five seconds. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Matt_B said:

So far as gaming goes, they've managed to sell 160 million more consoles than Atari in the past couple of decades

They sold more consoles because they made a better product, not because they had a better brand. They were one of the few companies in the world with the financial muscles to start competing with Playstations.

16 hours ago, Matt_B said:

95% of Steam users run Windows too.

Windows is an example of a brand with isn´t loved, but still strong. People don´t like it, but they are afraid of using anything else. But Windows and Microsoft are two different brands.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, The Historian said:

Atari SA news,

Chesnais out as CEO, Wade J. Rosen in. 
Splitting into 2 divisions: One for blockchain and another for everything else. 

http://crweworld.com/article/news-provided-by-globenewswire/1945875/atari-announces-the-creation-of-two-divisions-atari-gaming-and-atari-blockchain-and-a-change-in-leadership

Rosen is a younger gent (35 I think), perhaps his vision for Atari will better serve its fans. 

When us that NDA up?

• Like 4

On 4/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, MrBeefy said:

When us that NDA up?

It is a shame that we tragically lost Curt Vendel.  Before he passed away I remember him stating in the Taco thread that he had some info but couldn’t talk about it at the time.  I would have loved to hear what he had to say about his dealings with them.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, The Historian said:

Wednesday, July 7 2021

July 7, 2021 is also:

• Global Forgiveness Day
  • National Dive Bar Day
  • Tell the Truth Day

Among other holidays.

Anyone know when is taco day?

Edit: taco day is October 4

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Maybe the taco crowd will finally prove that that Atari VCS never came out. 

At this point... is there a meaningful difference between the VCS never being released, and the anemic trickle* of units we've actually seen?  

*Yes, I'm well aware that "Anemic Trickle" would be a great name for a band.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Maybe the taco crowd will finally prove that that Atari VCS never came out. 

If you ask me, the ATARI VCS came out and was Huge!  Probably my Favorite console of all time!  AN ICON and a LEGEND.  And it happened in 1977!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

At this point... is there a meaningful difference between the VCS never being released, and the anemic trickle* of units we've actually seen?  

*Yes, I'm well aware that "Anemic Trickle" would be a great name for a band.

We've been told it was a hit (but, it just depends on your definition of hit).

EDIT:
Well, seems you beat me to it.

• Haha 3