Mockduck

The Atari VCS Info Thread

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There's always been Nintendo with their generation behind consoles :)  I guess having 50 versions of Mario or Zelda to choose from makes up for that.  If only Atari had a mascot.

Super Bently Bear!

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There's always been Nintendo with their generation behind consoles :)  I guess having 50 versions of Mario or Zelda to choose from makes up for that.  If only Atari had a mascot.

For some reason, someone over at Atari has thought that it's the eyes from Haunted House. What a universe of possibilities there!*

-Super Haunted House Bros.

-Dr. Haunted House

-Haunted Smash Bros. House

-The Legend of Haunted House

-Paper Haunted House RPG

-Haunted House Paint

-Haunted House: Ocarina of Time

-House of the Haunted: Scarlet Dawn

-Hauntipede

-Major Haunted House Havoc

-Crystal Haunted Houses

-Untitled Haunted House Game (w/ Geese Eyes)

-Match-3 Haunted House

-Ninja Golf's Haunted House

-I, Haunted House

-Haunted House The Hedgehog

-Blockchain Haunted House

*All rip-offs of other, better concepts, excepting Blockchain! RU READY 4 DA BLOCKCHAIN TRAIN?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Dr. Haunted House

And here all this time I thought his first name was Greg.  Also saw a thing that showed that the producer of House thought Hugh Laurie was an American the whole time...

Just now, leech said:

And here all this time I thought his first name was Greg.  Also saw a thing that showed that the producer of House thought Hugh Laurie was an American the whole time...

Well, I was thinking of Dr. Mario, but you could totally do a Haunted Hospital with House limping around and being a douchebag to patients too. Endless possibilities!

• Haha 1

The Atari logo is Atari's "mascot" as it were. I've always felt that Haunted House had potential for a spiritual new game, but doing it right won't be easy. Unsure how it would actually play. Part of me feels like it'd be a bit more Binding of Isaac and less of an adventure game, but either could work. 

If Atari did actually come up with a decent mascot, you just know they'd sell it off when their gas bill was due.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The Atari logo is Atari's "mascot" as it were. I've always felt that Haunted House had potential for a spiritual new game, but doing it right won't be easy. Unsure how it would actually play. Part of me feels like it'd be a bit more Binding of Isaac and less of an adventure game, but either could work. 

Haunted House VR.  Also, with original graphics mode!  Pixel Art VR would be sweet...

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

If Atari did actually come up with a decent mascot, you just know they'd sell it off when their gas bill was due.

On the bright side, the latest Battlezone game is amazing.

9 hours ago, leech said:

On the bright side, the latest Battlezone game is amazing.

It is a great game, but it's also not been owned by Atari coming up on 10 years now. They sold it off to Rebellion back when they declared bankruptcy circa 2012.  

As for who the Atari mascot is, I'm surprised how often Atarians overlook what Atari came up with over the years. The only reason none are "iconic" is because after Warner, the company did little to nothing to turn them into a franchise, like Nintendo or Sega did with theirs. The only one who came close was Commander Champion, who did appear in a number of games and the comic books during the Warner era. When you look at his "resume," seems to me that he was the de facto company mascot, at least up to 1982-83. Main problem was that apart from the comics/pinball and the super rare Liberator arcade game, you don't see his face, while in Mario & Sonic, you know you are controlling said mascot, and their faces have been plastered on everything.

Atari characters - mascot potential all depends on that creative vision to do something with them beyond their original games, or reinventing those classics in a fun way:

-Commander Champion + The Atari Force (Space Riders & Middle Earth pinball, Liberator, Star Raiders, comic books; You could also probably tie him in with Asteroids & Gravitar)

-Oliver (Centipede)

-Archer (Millipede)

-Yar

-The Claw (Tempest, not from the movie Liar, Liar :P )

-The Square Knight/Mage/Gnome from Adventure

-Major Havoc

-The eyes from Haunted House (joking aside :P )

-Bentley Bear

-Charley Chuck (Food Fight)

-Tarra & Torr (SwordQuest)

-Robot 1984 (I, Robot)

-The Time Fairy/Angel (Time 2000 pinball)

-The Ninja (Ninja Golf)

-Kung Fu Lu (Off the Wall)

-The adventurers from Dark Chambers

-Desert Falcon

-Black Widow (from the arcade game, but no one likes spiders...)

I might be missing one or two, but seems to me that Atari has a lot to choose from, despite no one at Atari ever figuring out what to do with them. As for a logo or the Pong paddles being a "mascot" - meh, that's pretty forgettable instead of relatable. Usually when a company tries to turn their logo into a mascot, it doesn't last for long, like 7up's Spot or Dominos Pizza's Donny The Domino. 

• Like 2