IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

After the initial flood of backers it has really slowed down to a slow drip. I think most people who want one have already backed it. My guess is it might reach 10,000 backers.

During the Retro VGS Indiegogo someone was using some software to predict the final total. Does anyone know how that was done?

After the initial flood of backers it has really slowed down to a slow drip. I think most people who want one have already backed it. My guess is it might reach 10,000 backers.

During the Retro VGS Indiegogo someone was using some software to predict the final total. Does anyone know how that was done?

I don't recall the name of that site anymore, but here's a different one: https://www.backerkit.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it may be a bit early to believe their "trending" until more data is gathered (The first day it predicted $167,000,000). The blue "Funds" line seems to agree with you that it's leveled off. I'm not sure if it'll see a boost on the various days that specials expire. 06/04 for Onyx; 06/06 "Special Perk" email link; 06/11 for "Collector" woodie edition.

Yeah, but by then the servers will be shut down and you won't be able to buy or play any games for it. :)

All you really need is

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*

Reminder: this works right now in any Linux system. The software is free and the hardware doesn't have to be powerful for retro games (as the abox specs have shown).

Want modern games? "Can't wait to play Steam games?" Then don't wait!

• Like 4

Are you sure it is actually "open"? Or will be it just some custom Linux flavour OS, with plenty of restrictions from Atari? One quote I saw said "you can access games you've bought from other content platforms" - that's not very "open".

Ouya was proported as being "Open" as well. Just because people could sideload or develop on it didn't fit the definition well. I was also hoping for a vibrant homebrew community surounding it if it failed at the market.

Unfortunately it floundered for so many years yet the homebrew community never embraced it. And if the servers go offline, you cannot log into a console to unlock it, meaning any new in box Ouya, or any used one that the previous owner logged out of, will become bricks without a server to connect to.

Linux is reportedly more open by definition compared to the modified Andoid kernel that Ouya used, but it remains to be seen exactly how many modifications they make or how locked down it becomes, open source or not. Should the online marketplace fail, will it be possible to reformat the inernal memory on the Atari without bricking, and install a completely vanilla linux os via bootable flash drive? If there's no means to boot the device from external media, then there's no recvery in the event someone soft-bricks it. Perhaps it would be wise to bundle a read access only bootable recovery flash drive with the Ataribox, so that if the user borks their console with some other linux variant, it will be easy to recover. Most PCs come with a recovery process.

I thought the Switch would fail like the Wii U had.

I also didn't understand the hype around the NES mini. It was yet another flashback, and we could all play the games already.

But admittedly I was no NES fanboy back in the day, so it means nothing to me. Nostalgia is a powerful thing for those with fond memories of it

The fact that this was the first time a non-bootleg plug-n-play device was released which had built in nes games, was a huge deal for Nintendo fanboys. The NES Classic also showed Atgames, others, and most importantly retailers that consumers were willing to pay more for a higher quality product, and they needed to step up their quality a notch to remain viable solutions going forward.

Also the Wii-U was kind of the public prototype for the Switch. Both offer offscreen gaming but the simularities ended there. Concepts were executed much better on the Switch. The Wii-U needed the "smart" console to be wirelessy tethered to the "dummy" gamepad in order to function, severely restricting it's range. With Switch, the "smart" tablet doesn't require the "dummy" docking station except to output video to the TV. So you can take it anywhere, not just restricted to the same room.

They used modern ARM CPU technology in the Switch instead of archaic PowerPC of the GameCube and Wii, futureproofing the console and making it much easier for developers to port games. Pretty much everything going for the Wii-U was revamped and drastically improved with Switch. The concepts that disn't work well, such as dual screen games using the TV, were quietly scrapped.

I don't recall the name of that site anymore, but here's a different one: https://www.backerkit.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it may be a bit early to believe their "trending" until more data is gathered (The first day it predicted $167,000,000). The blue "Funds" line seems to agree with you that it's leveled off. I'm not sure if it'll see a boost on the various days that specials expire. 06/04 for Onyx; 06/06 "Special Perk" email link; 06/11 for "Collector" woodie edition.

What about Kicktraq?

EDIT: I pasted in the IndieGogo url and it said "no results found." :???:

WHY AGAIN ARE YOU BUYING THIS:

Nostalgia and unanswered hopes and dreams. This is the equivalent of me funding a future crowd funded Sega console. I might buy it, but I know it'll suck. You know it would suck. We all know it would suck. But you buy it because there's that .00000000025% chance it could work and you want to support them because your childhood self would kick you in the balls if you didn't.

Hey, nostalgia and unanswered hopes and dreams are the very foundation of the Atari Jaguar's fan base and that system and it's games have become one of the most valuable and sought after commodities in all of retro gaming. So, you know... do the math.

• Like 3

I don't want the ban hammer, so I'll just post hard numbers with no further comment.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180602-073534.png

That seems like all the enthusiasts got in on day one. Where's the sustenance and adoption required for future growth. Seems like it's the total opposite - unless I don't understand the crowdfunding ecosphere and how the gears work.

• Like 1

Ouya was proported as being "Open" as well. Just because people could sideload or develop on it didn't fit the definition well. I was also hoping for a vibrant homebrew community surounding it if it failed at the market.

Unfortunately it floundered for so many years yet the homebrew community never embraced it. And if the servers go offline, you cannot log into a console to unlock it, meaning any new in box Ouya, or any used one that the previous owner logged out of, will become bricks without a server to connect to.

Linux is reportedly more open by definition compared to the modified Andoid kernel that Ouya used, but it remains to be seen exactly how many modifications they make or how locked down it becomes, open source or not. Should the online marketplace fail, will it be possible to reformat the inernal memory on the Atari without bricking, and install a completely vanilla linux os via bootable flash drive? If there's no means to boot the device from external media, then there's no recvery in the event someone soft-bricks it. Perhaps it would be wise to bundle a read access only bootable recovery flash drive with the Ataribox, so that if the user borks their console with some other linux variant, it will be easy to recover. Most PCs come with a recovery process.

WHY? Why would one make a console like that, Ouya themselves or others.. What ARE they thinking? Why the forced connectivity? What's reasoning behind that?

It's a real detractor, and whenever I see a product like that I steer far and clear of it. Because, for me to get vested in it only means frustration later down the road of ownership.

---

They may develop a recovery process or something, but including media? That'a a no-no, cost being the #1 reason why not. Licensing and IP protection, #2.

• Like 1

I personally didn't know there were two threads. Mobile version of this site is not exactly the most conductive for easy if use.

Sorry if I caused any gaskets to blow, cpuwiz. Though to be fair, my post was filled with facts, not just opinion.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

You guys are a train wreck of stubborn heads, now you have two threads and you still need to piss on each other. WTF?

Duly noted.

Scepticism aside, I did back the joystick. Small as my $33 contribution might be, I do have a vested interest that it succeed so that I get what I paid for. Assuming successful delivery of completed reward, that only marks completion of the indiegogo rewards. It still needs a commercial / retail launch, beiit online or brick and mortar stores. Phase three, maintain the online marketplace. Phase four, remain profitable throughout the console's lifespan. Ouya fulfilled the first three staages, but failed on stage four. If Vee Cee Ess fulfills the first stage (deliver my joystick), I'll be satisfied.

It's a long road ahead. Best to focus on one stage at a time.......

Keep the bollocks in the other thread please. I just took the ban hammer out of the safe.

That won't be necessary, thank you. I will try my best to refrain from verbal diarrhea this point onwards... |:)

I propose a new rule so CPUWIZ doesn't blow a gasket:

Facts (only) in this thread

Opinions in That Thread (only)

This thread should be quieter, and maybe even kinder, as a result.

That's probably the best policy. However, it does leave me wondering about one thing:

Does this preclude the ability to ask questions?

I bring this up because while sticking to facts in this thread rather than opinions makes sense, if people aren't able to ask questions then this thread runs into the likelihood of becoming a discussion surrounding a chain of copy-and-pasted press releases.

Obviously there would need to be some sort of a line drawn re: questions that verge on (or into) opinion territory, but that can probably be handled on an as-needed basis.

You guys are a train wreck of stubborn heads, now you have two threads and you still need to piss on each other. WTF?

Respectfully, senior moderator, sir. I'm not seeing who's pissing on eachother. That said, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to roll in the mud with whomever is fighting with eachother, so as to partake in the madness. I'm not seeing it though... who's mad at eachother?

I still bought the Atari VCS... but I'd be lying if I didn't feel like somewhat of a fool. I realize I basically just bought the equivelant to a $50 dollar Chinese-made Linux device that I can buy on Amazon all day long. I'd be lying, and only fooling myself if I said I didn't buy this for any other reason than the fact that it has an Atari logo on it. Literally, my mind went through some mental gymnastics to come up with the logic that allowed me to spend $250 on an LED Atari logo that will sit next to my television... that I'll probably never play, and won't even see for probably 18 months from now.

Sigh...

• Like 7

My thinking on this thread was to keep it informative, focusing on things like updates, press releases, numbers, etc. There has to be room for some questions and speculation, but my hope is that the less reasoned opinions along the lines of "Atari sucks", "No, U SUXXORS!" :) etc would stay in the long-running opinion/taco thread. Clearly some people feel very strongly that what the current Atari is doing is not ok, and some of them also get very upset with people who feel otherwise. It may well be that this whole thing blows up and never delivers, but I'd rather keep this thread more about the information than the opinion.

• Like 6

I still bought the Atari VCS... but I'd be lying if I didn't feel like somewhat of a fool. I realize I basically just bought the equivelant to a $50 dollar Chinese-made Linux device that I can buy on Amazon all day long. I'd be lying, and only fooling myself if I said I didn't buy this for any other reason than the fact that it has an Atari logo on it. Literally, my mind went through some mental gymnastics to come up with the logic that allowed me to spend $250 on an LED Atari logo that will sit next to my television... that I'll probably never play, and won't even see for probably 18 months from now.

Sigh...

I am quite impressed with your honesty, I think many who bought into this are not even being honest with themselves let alone others but you at least admit what most of us see here. AND I CAN RESPECT THAT ! :thumbsup:

If someone is buying this because it has the ATARI logo or even completely for collector purposes that is fine, it's none of my or anyone's business what people choose to spend their money, you clearly know exactly what you are likely investing in so good on you.

Sorry, that was my last post in this thread. From this point I will only read it, I had to recognize the one person backing this that at least seems to have their expectations based in reality.

BACK TO THE depths of the TACO THREAD for me. :) Carry on!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

I'm middle aged, with a lot of other hobbies so my most recent gaming system is only a PS3.

I watched the promo video on the funding page and noticed at the beginning they say- "Atari On" and then later "Atari play ____"

Do other modern gaming systems do this as well?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current talk of possible sales strategy concept from another forum is an idea that Atari put up these initial limited time deals- discounted black units, free controller with the wood, for the fans who show support from the beginning.

There is a guess that once the pre-sale is over, Atari may announce a more significant detail, something more attention grabbing to turn the current people who are on the fence into sales- but now at the normal price.

Again- this is just a possibility being tossed around, but it makes sense if true. While they could have given us all they have already, pushing out more features as the campaign goes on would feed the media and sales.

• Like 1

I'm middle aged, with a lot of other hobbies so my most recent gaming system is only a PS3. I watched the promo video on the funding page and noticed at the beginning they say- "Atari On" and then later "Atari play ____" Do other modern gaming systems do this as well? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Current talk of possible sales strategy concept from another forum is an idea that Atari put up these initial limited time deals- discounted black units, free controller with the wood, for the fans who show support from the beginning. There is a guess that once the pre-sale is over, Atari may announce a more significant detail, something more attention grabbing to turn the current people who are on the fence into sales- but now at the normal price. Again- this is just a possibility being tossed around, but it makes sense if true. While they could have given us all they have already, pushing out more features as the campaign goes on would feed the media and sales.

That's not how well run crowdfunding campaigns work though. It's fine to have stretch goals or maybe announce a game development partner as the campaign goes on, but waiting to announce significant details beyond launch just results in fewer backers on the critical first day. Most crowdfunding campaigns are funded in what looks like a bell shape with most backing occurring in the first and last days. Media is very hard to get in the middle and I don't see how new backers would be attracted mid-campaign by revealing something that all backers should have been told day one.

• Like 2