IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Interestingly I have a Toshiba from some years back i converted to Linux.  I also have the Atari Vault on it.  So I know it will work out of the box.  Though the controls are odd.  The kind of work with my Xbox 1 controller. Not with the analogue sticks but with the digital d pad only.

Next up the online is dead.  Now for a new console I am sure they would have servers that worked.  Though for how long if they mooted console actually comes out would it be supported. Gamestick a year and a half.  Ouya 7 years. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:43 PM, Mockduck said:

This thread is not meant to provide an outlet for people to bash the current Atari company, nor insult people who might be interested in this mid-spec PC for your television. People are welcome to have their opinion, and we've certainly seen a lot of varying opinions on the legitimacy of the console, but ultimately time will tell. There's a massive thread here that has long served as a place for people to criticize the current Atari, and moderators have largely allowed the thread to be used as an anti-VCS rant and troll thread, so if you want to talk about how much you dislike the new VCS, or bash the people interested in it, please consider doing so there.

Please see above.  I too have reservations about support and games, however I am not going to criticize something that has not been released yet.  I will be staying hopeful and optimistic.

• 1 month later...

Well, there was a cancelled announcement announcing the announcement of an upcoming announcement.

After seeing an "insider" video of prototype hardware, running of all things, a Converse shoe-box, my balls were finally blown off as promised nearly 2 years ago.  Given the major progress required to get that shoe-box going, I am now convinced this thing will not only ship, but ship on time and turn the gaming world on its head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/6/2019 at 4:32 PM, joeatari1 said:

Please see above.  I too have reservations about support and games, however I am not going to criticize something that has not been released yet.  I will be staying hopeful and optimistic.

Hope and optimism are fantastic qualities, but they also need to be grounded in reality.

The initial skepticism in the project was that a tiny company like Atari, with limited resources and no in-house engineering or programming staff, could properly develop, release and support a game console that would have any significant impact in an already crowded market.

The ensuing criticism has come from Atari's inept, amateur hour handling of virtually every aspect of the VCS's development and marketing. This could be the nicest piece of hardware ever, but all the evidence so far says these guys don't know what they're doing. It's certainly been worthy of criticism, and all the hope and optimism in the world isn't going to help this console's development, support, or success.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well, there was a cancelled announcement announcing the announcement of an upcoming announcement.

After seeing an "insider" video of prototype hardware, running of all things, a Converse shoe-box, my balls were finally blown off as promised nearly 2 years ago.  Given the major progress required to get that shoe-box going, I am now convinced this thing will not only ship, but ship on time and turn the gaming world on its head.

And that, folks, is the essence of bomb-diggity(tm)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, racerx said:

Hope and optimism are fantastic qualities, but they also need to be grounded in reality.

The initial skepticism in the project was that a tiny company like Atari, with limited resources and no in-house engineering or programming staff, could properly develop, release and support a game console that would have any significant impact in an already crowded market.

The ensuing criticism has come from Atari's inept, amateur hour handling of virtually every aspect of the VCS's development and marketing. This could be the nicest piece of hardware ever, but all the evidence so far says these guys don't know what they're doing. It's certainly been worthy of criticism, and all the hope and optimism in the world isn't going to help this console's development, support, or success.

Thanks for this.  

It was due out 6 months ago.  Look at the Intellivision.  Dude out Next year Halloween I think. Latest reveal shows new old games.  They have loads of updates.  Atari.  Total Silence.

The silence speaks volumes. 

Though kudos where it is due.  It is Atari speaker hat compatible!

16 minutes ago, racerx said:

Maybe something today...

LMAO - not even an announcement of an upcoming announcement for a later announcement.  The jagoffs on the new "official" Reddit forum are banning people left and right for pointing out that Summer is over.  We need to spread the word that you can view deleted Reddit posts.

It would seem that the official team is also so clueless, their latest post shows an Imagic game  WTF guys.  People still think there is a chance this isn't a scam?

• Haha 2