IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

note the carefully crafted wording of this post from the 'Official' VCS account on Reddit.  This was posted today (9-28-19):

image.thumb.png.c8c97651d6362c132260e83bcc0af618.png

'products are headed into production very soon'.   i read this as 'Backers, don't expect it in December even though we TOTALLY told you the backer consoles would be out then'.  Here's the Indiegogo quoted blurb:

image.thumb.png.875bbf96c9e79896bfb9c5b1081ab3bd.png

• Like 3

@digdugnate The part of that announcement that I find interesting is the following: "Funds have been allocated to Atari VCS development and the products are headed into production very soon." [emphasis mine]

There's a few ways to read this:

1. Funds are only just being allocated to this now?  Well, shit, no need for following product planning methodologies when you've got a life-sized complicated drinking game to fall back on, I guess.
  2. Atari SA has been borrowing from Peter to pay Paul up to this point by way of the Indiegogo funds.  Whatever stupid financial decision they made that required them to dig themselves out of it by way of those funds is over now.  Well, for the moment, anyway.  Quick, release the funds before the next round of creditors swing by and / or lawsuits are filed.
  3. They're not going to tell you what percentage of Indiegogo funds have been allocated to Ataribollocks(tm) development, but it's at least some of them.  It might not be enough to get lunch at the taco stand down the street, but, hey, no matter how many leading decimal places that percentage may have it's still a percentage!
  4. Ferrari, hookers, and coke fund for the execs.  Doubtful given their E3 performance last year, but you never know.

In other words, it's an attempt at sounding authoritative and forthright that still manages to come off as less than the sentiment that's trying to be conveyed.  It also doesn't prevent Atari SA from experiencing manufacturing delays, shipping issues, meteorites hitting the factory, etc. and just never shipping.

Late edit: looks like this is a ? copy & paste of a post from last June ?, so presumably Sparky the Wonder Intern is hard at work trying to bury all the of the recent posts that reflect poorly upon Atari SA.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

One of the responses to the Medium post is someone wondering how the special numbering for collectors will be implemented.

I mean, if that's your main concern... maybe ol' Mike Kennedy was right after all, and I was the idiot. Imagine worrying about the number of unit you receive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, noclafirata said:

Maybe, but I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt untill I get burned. That doesn't happen all that much, most people do try to live up to expectations.

Well I hope they come through for the backers who are in various stages of love or hate. They should be able to.

I think it has potential to be a neat TV box. I do think it is overpriced and a TV PC is not how they first 'advertised' it.

Where is everybody? This is the non-taco thread where all love and positive VCS vibes can flourish.

So @TACODON assuming it can boot up fine how do you see yourself using this thing?

@digdugnate To be honest I think I am just going to flip it after I get it. I mean it really doesn't do anything else that I don't already have a device for. That is the biggest issue to me at this point. It doesn't bring anything new to my living room. If you really want it for looks, buy an empty box and put it on a shelf.

Atari really dropped the ball on not making this something exciting. I can't justify why I should make room for this thing in my living room.

• Like 4