IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

5 hours ago, TACODON said:

Perhaps the biggest failure of the VCS as a device. Not talking about the company is this... it is a waste of potential and opportunity.

If you are looking for a PC box for the TV it will be okay. I didn't expect it to be the biggest graphics game player either. I thought it was frustrating/misleading how it was we are back in gaming, to this is a way to play our old games that also functions as a PC. I think there was potential too or they really needed to market this as a PC and forget the AtariOS. Give people a Steam key for Vault.

• Like 1

Yeah, the irony is that if they ever had a clue what they were trying to accomplish, and capable of, they could have pitched this as an Atari PC from the start and nobody would have jumped their case. Instead they kept trying to appeal to some historic brand iconography they didn't, and still don't understand. All the "atari is back" garbage and running circles around themselves calling it a console, or not a console, a retro box, or not a retro box, a PC for your living room, or a "free" content creation device.  They have yet to even clue in to what they are trying to accomplish, instead they pervert their scope to the most favorable soundbites they can generate for their perceived shareholders in a vain effort to pull their penny stock out of the toilet. And then you have the sad, sad fanboys who will seemingly never clue in to the fact that they've been played all along and continue to take the bait.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Yeah, the irony is that if they ever had a clue what they were trying to accomplish, and capable of, they could have pitched this as an Atari PC from the start and nobody would have jumped their case. Instead they kept trying to appeal to some historic brand iconography they didn't, and still don't understand. All the "atari is back" garbage and running circles around themselves calling it a console, or not a console, a retro box, or not a retro box, a PC for your living room, or a "free" content creation device.  They have yet to even clue in to what they are trying to accomplish, instead they pervert their scope to the most favorable soundbites they can generate for their perceived shareholders in a vain effort to pull their penny stock out of the toilet. And then you have the sad, sad fanboys who will seemingly never clue in to the fact that they've been played all along and continue to take the bait.

I do think if those who ONLY want a TV PC will be content. I just think it is overpriced. Wouldn't mind buying a lower priced one to use the case for something.

I am curious as to if they have any more actual partners that haven't already made a game. Surely, they will be able to get some of their mobile games on it. The Ninja Golf was okay from what I played. Controls were a little weird but I could see it working better with a controller.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Time is money, this thread is a waste of time, so in the end, you may lose more than the fools who blindly threw money, at a non-existant product.

Well as much as I don't like the project I know there are those who do. They really aren't thinking going into the taco thread. They don't seem to get it and need a place to talk about what they like about it etc.

Dunno ?‍♂️

I don't even think this would make a good PC for the TV anyways.. For that duty you really want a NUC with i7 and Iris Graphics. You can play A games on it, but not likely AA or AAA. You can do DVR operations and all kinds of media playback on those little boxes. And the Intel NUCs have been in town for some time now.

3 hours ago, JBerel said:

I honestly feel sorry for them if they believe that's the way to make a buck. I also believe that anyone who has been into Atari (read as all vid games) since the 70's and 80's would be able to make better decisions regarding this whole debacle. Simply because they know the climate and flavor of games so much better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Time is money, this thread is a waste of time, so in the end, you may lose more than the fools who blindly threw money, at a non-existant product.

Counterpoint: a moment enjoyed is not wasted. Watching "Atari" fumble this again and again is endlessly entertaining. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we are all typing into a forum about ancient video games. It's all a pointless waste of time, and that's okay.

"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I find it interesting that we get people over in the taco thread that complain there isn't a place to discuss the VCS without tacos. This thread is here and the only posters here are those of us from the taco thread. Where are all these fans and supporters at? Many of us are willing to play nice as long everyone else does. So do we have a vocal minority or a silent majority?

On 12/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, MrBeefy said:

So, @Mockduck any plans on updating this thread? Since it is coming out soon this might be a good thread to pin if it ever gets a sub forum of its own.

Sorry, thread's dead on my end. Me and some other folks who started with the intention to keeping this fact based were bullied off the forums by some of the regulars here, apparently with moderator approval, to the point I was getting stalked on Facebook due to making the mistake of putting my name in my avatar pic. So, the old adage applies of who is the bigger fool when trying to argue with fools, and it wasn't worth the grief. Warning I guess: never say something the cool kids don't like on these forums, or they'll make you regret it. 

And for those who think it was just about a post in the taco thread, you don't have access to my Facebook messenger. Was downright creepy. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Sorry, thread's dead on my end. Me and some other folks who started with the intention to keeping this fact based were bullied off the forums by some of the regulars here, apparently with moderator approval, to the point I was getting stalked on Facebook due to making the mistake of putting my name in my avatar pic. So, the old adage applies of who is the bigger fool when trying to argue with fools, and it wasn't worth the grief. Warning I guess: never say something the cool kids don't like on these forums, or they'll make you regret it. 

And for those who think it was just about a post in the taco thread, you don't have access to my Facebook messenger. Was downright creepy. 

That's a bit over the top!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, TACODON said:

I find it interesting that we get people over in the taco thread that complain there isn't a place to discuss the VCS without tacos. This thread is here and the only posters here are those of us from the taco thread. Where are all these fans and supporters at? Many of us are willing to play nice as long everyone else does. So do we have a vocal minority or a silent majority?

Because if you're not bashing this system, there really is nothing to say about it, unless you're unrealistically optimistic.   No information about third party developers or apps.  The only announced games are in a retro compilation, so that's not really worth talking about.  

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 6:29 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

I feel damned if I reply and damned if I don't, but I deleted my Facebook account years ago.  @Mockduck

It wasn't me either ... and I can't recall anyone else from here giving him anything resembling a hard time. Maybe it's not so much "bullying" and "harassment" as people disagreeing with things he said? I see that he very sensibly anonymized his avatar. 

Anyway, back on topic:

Atari VCS is still not released

Atari VCS has still not been shown in public turned on or playing games

Atari VCS has no announced games or partners list except Vault and Antstream

Atari VCS has no firm release date

Atari VCS spokesman actually said "when it comes to Atari VCS, no news is good news" which may well be true

• Like 3