IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

1 hour ago, racerx said:

I used to check that page out every now and again, but good grief. Most of the people still posting there seem to have enjoyed a healthy appetite for paint chips as kids.

The fact that they keep tabs on this topic and my news is top news for them really tells you something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TACODON said:

A delay announcement shouldn't be far off.

It seems inevitable.

According to the latest shipping data I could find for China to US sea freight; it is currently 30-40 days. Like someone earlier had said, to meet their delivery deadline the units would have to be manufactured, loaded and already on their way. https://www.freightos.com/shipping-routes/shipping-from-china-to-the-united-states/

If Atari had actually produced the 11,000 backer units I expect they would have been making a lot of noise about it to appease their backers (They certainly made quite the fuss over producing and shipping their 96 Dev test units to the US).

As Atari has retreated back into their usual radio silence instead of announcing anything I think it is safe to say that the Atari Box units are still not yet in production, and that there is no possibility of them meeting their latest promised shipping date.

The only question is how long Atari is going to drag out announcing their newest delay and giving another revised shipping date.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's not like they haven't just ghosted past deadlines before.

I'd think that anyone likely to be disappointed by an after-the-fact announcement of a delay has probably already lost it with Atari by now anyway, so there's not really any incentive for them to change.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TACODON said:

@Chopsus the IGG page is like the wild west again. I suppose the intern is off break and back to school...

I'm done posting over there. Actually I made a deal with someone about my preorder. So I really don't have a horse in this race anymore. But at any rate. I'm waiting for another delay.

Agree ... lots of personal attacks based on delusional facts ... oh well, we always knew they suffered from escalating, irrational commitment bias.

Given how high the price of the VCS is Australia, I should probably do the same ... I’ve preordered a PS5 so selling the VCS in box would likely pay for more than a new XBox X Series. I’m inclined to wait until delivery is definite though as I am still not convinced they have manufactured more than the initial 90.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, there's nothing I've love more for Atari to get the thing out and to be able to buy them internationally and flip for the Australian retail price at a huge profit.

Alas,  I'd suspect that there are probably going to be issues on both the supply and demand sides of that. I.e. Yet another unannounced delay seems more than likely, and there probably aren't too many people wanting to pay $100 more than the price of a Series X for one.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, zzip said:

I've got a pair of Pi's, I have lots of issues with them.   No power management, require tons of fiddling, cables coming out of 3 or 4 sides depending on the model,   very slow, can't run lots of my emulators at proper speed, and I have to recompile all my stuff to work on it which is time consuming.   Nvidia shield's aren't all that cheap either,  at least no for the good models.   They are also Android-based, not PC based.

They are what they are. Android, Linux, Pi, Shield.. All of it is a little too far away from PC for my preferences.

I've got an extensive emulator + game set up on my PC that I've spent years getting it to the state it's in.  I would like a simple device attached to my TV that I could transfer it all too without lots of fiddling.   The Atari VCS might meet this need.   But I have to wait and see.

I also have an extensive long term setup. There's a few smatterings of this and that that I've not touched since the 1990's and early 2000's. My setup is of course Windows based for good reason. I also try to do things with upward migration and transportability in mind.

I also like using those Intel NUCs for myself and for others. They're small 4x4x3 cube computers that really fit anywhere. They have graphics powerful enough for MAME shaders at higher resolutions. They support Thunderbolt and USB of course, and all the cable stuff comes out the back. BT+WiFi, 2 SSDs, 2-8 cores. Some special models are just big enough to hold a full-size mini graphics card. The two-fan type, not the three. But dual slot.

You get all the annoyances & rewards, trials & tribulations, of a Windows 10 computer. Including the price.

It's great, my neighbor has one and I just mirrored recent changes from my emulation setup to theirs. All the while doing a background PVR/DVR operation. Then we played some DemonStar (PC SHMUP).

I updated Altirra and Stella in like 2 or 3 minutes. Just these two emulators provide a comprehensive old-school Atari experience. It's like Atari in a box!

I don't crowdfund anything, I was never going to crowdfund this.   But if they deliver a device that works in the specs they've given, I may buy one.

Neither do I. Never have. Never will. If a product is real it will pop up in some sort of store. Then I could be interested.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TACODON said:

The fact that they keep tabs on this topic and my news is top news for them really tells you something.

I mean, what else do they have to talk about?  I got a good laugh about the "downvotes are all they have" comment.  The more they hype themselves up, the bigger the crash is going to be. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Sorry.  That's what happens when you shut down the playground.   Kids run wild in everyone's yards.  

Unless of course the mods show up. ;)

I just don't understand why the most entertaining thread on AA was closed down. Sure I never posted there, but I went there every day to see the mayhem!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MCHufnagel said:

I just don't understand why the most entertaining thread on AA was closed down. Sure I never posted there, but I went there every day to see the mayhem!

I'm not aware of any reason ever being given.  I think there was a post saying the thread had run its course, which I disagree with, but here we are. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I miss the tacos!

I also feel this was supposed to be the thread where backers could scratch each others backs and smile while saying all the neat things they were gonna do in sandbox mode and talk of new OSs and emulators and whatever else was required to get this thing into a "little bit of fun" territory...

I liked the idea of us holding nutari's feet to the fire...Since we are huge fans of the old brand.

No disrespect to the mods,  but perhaps they were more worried that 2 AA members in good standing were about to embark on a spirited debate,...Possibly complete with witty banter that may have crossed the line, rather than just step up to it...

• Like 5

They should re-open that thread for all the Atari Nay-Sayers, Heathens & Blastphemers!
This was a place they could come together, so they would not venture out into other threads...
Anyhoo the time is fast approaching for the betting table to be closed, Atari has to show it's hand, Just like when Coleco Holdings gave Mike Kennedy 7 days to show what "prototype" they had ?
that still gets me even today.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Tavi said:

If Atari had actually produced the 11,000 backer units I expect they would have been making a lot of noise about it to appease their backers (They certainly made quite the fuss over producing and shipping their 96 Dev test units to the US).

As Atari has retreated back into their usual radio silence instead of announcing anything I think it is safe to say that the Atari Box units are still not yet in production, and that there is no possibility of them meeting their latest promised shipping date.

The only question is how long Atari is going to drag out announcing their newest delay and giving another revised shipping date.

Who knew that "No news is good news" would give them so much mileage? 

I suppose if you're really invested in this thing, you could hold out hope that they're just waiting to for the units to arrive at a warehouse in the US where they can make the big ol' announcement that it's available, the haters can suck it, tacos are the worst, etc. 

But given their stellar track record, I'm expecting a low key Medium.com update on Oct. 31st, 6:30pm loaded with corporate speak as to how hard they are working to get it just right, and some new phrase that we can chew on. Last time was "we'll be shipping in weeks, not months," which definitely deserves to be on the Poorly Aged Things Twitter. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OCAT said:

They should re-open that thread for all the Atari Nay-Sayers, Heathens & Blastphemers!
This was a place they could come together, so they would not venture out into other threads...
Anyhoo the time is fast approaching for the betting table to be closed, Atari has to show it's hand, Just like when Coleco Holdings gave Mike Kennedy 7 days to show what "prototype" they had ?
that still gets me even today.

It would actually make more sense to keep our beloved taco thread open if they want to keep this a safe haven for backers.  People might get salty after the next delay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tavi said:

They certainly made quite the fuss over producing and shipping their 96 Dev test units to the US

I keep seeing folks say this, but what evidence is there for the 96?  I only saw a pile of boxes.  Sorry if I missed an unboxing somewhere.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5x7 said:

I keep seeing folks say this, but what evidence is there for the 96?  I only saw a pile of boxes.  Sorry if I missed an unboxing somewhere.

Someone "unofficially" posted a picture of one on Twitter a few months back; it had been sent to a corporate insider. That is as close as anyone as gotten to an unboxing. 

• Like 4