IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

3 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Agreed. What Mattel or Intellivision Productions did in the past has no relevancy on what's going on with the Amico now other than leveraging past history/IP, just like what Atari entities of the past did in the past has no relevancy on what's going with the VCS now other than leveraging past history/IP. There are no other links that anyone has to worry about. Of course, if you're uninformed or trolling, then you would definitely make direct associations (and in their own ways, both current companies are actively encouraging that).

Hyperscan was actually a decent idea (as was proved later with other NFC + video game successes), but was not well executed and was released at the wrong time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

Hyperscan was actually a decent idea (as was proved later with other NFC + video game successes), but was not well executed and was released at the wrong time.

As a collectible toy I guess it was a decent idea, but as a console, it was half-baked at best. That has more relation to the original Mattel though than anything to do with Intellivision Productions or any of the post Mattel Electronics companies.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

As a collectible toy I guess it was a decent idea, but as a console, it was half-baked at best. That has more relation to the original Mattel though than anything to do with Intellivision Productions or any of the post Mattel Electronics companies.

The collectible RFID aspect only which was proven a success with Skylanders years later.  In hindsight, not a bad idea, just not executed well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

As collectibles that you can also download into various games it seems to have been a great idea. At least I know my little nephews have a shelf filled with Nintendo Amiibos.

The specialized console certainly did not seem to catch on though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamm said:

"Atari never said they were going to deliver an actual door stop - just the idea of a door stop with an Atari logo on it.  And that's all I ever wanted, so I'm thrilled with my purchase!"

And I thought my Atari branded lunchbox was a humble request... :ponder:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tavi said:

As collectibles that you can also download into various games it seems to have been a great idea. At least I know my little nephews have a shelf filled with Nintendo Amiibos.

The specialized console certainly did not seem to catch on though.

Yes, it was a reasonable idea, but never did catch on or become the big fad that saw brief pervasive success with Amiibos, Lego Dimensions, Skylanders, etc., before the bubble burst. There were of course other implementations of bar code scanning, CD scanning, etc., even earlier, but it never went big until the collectible toy rage. Much like with the Wii, Wii fitness stuff, plastic instrument craze, and other such things, it was great if you got in at the good part of the craze and really, really bad if you got in too late. Timing as they say, is everything, but execution and big marketing dollars don't hurt either. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jamm said:

"Atari never said they were going to deliver an actual door stop - just the idea of a door stop with an Atari logo on it.  And that's all I ever wanted, so I'm thrilled with my purchase!"

Look...it's a niche product. The idea of a doorstop was never intended to compete with mainstream doorstops.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I'm sure any delay now will be either blamed on a certain public health crisis or to optimize the VCS again.

I'm more towards them deciding to "upgrade" the VCS. Now that Microsoft and Sony have revealed what they got going on. This Bomb-diggity Unconsole door stop needs to beat out the Hyper Scan!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

I'm sure any delay now will be either blamed on a certain public health crisis or to optimize the VCS again.

I'm more towards them deciding to "upgrade" the VCS. Now that Microsoft and Sony have revealed what they got going on. This Bomb-diggity Unconsole door stop needs to beat out the Hyper Scan!

Butbutbut...  It's already using the fastest really slow processor of the Ryzen range!  How on earth could you improve on that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4