IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think a majority of us thought they would get it out the door. It has just felt like forever. I really hope for backers sake they start shipping individual units to those who didn't order the joystick. That would suck for it to delay it for those who didn't order it.

I am quite honestly shocked that they seem to have made it into production finally. I would have bet serious money against this.

A penny stock company with only a handful of actual staff, who's only business expertise lies in licensing and lawsuits decides to get into console manufacturing.

Add in several lawsuits against them, critical staff walking off the job over not being paid, long periods of radio silence, delays, delays and more delays, and I am somewhat impressed they seem to be close to actually crossing the finish line and delivering a product to the Indiegogo backers.

I seriously thought by this point they would be running on empty, long over the expected delivery date(s) and with no funds left for manufacturing. I am wondering if that pallet of 'Dev Kits' that shipped to the US and promptly dropped off the radar a few months back found them someone willing to fund production?

It is good to hear that the backers may after all be finally getting something, as I was certain this was going to go the way of the Atari Gameband and at some point there would be a 'This is a hard letter to write... you were investing in a vision, not buying a product...' update where Atari just walked away.

I am still highly doubtful that the Atari Box is going to go far once the novelty and nostalgia wear off it; but at least it looks like the backers will actually get one which I suspect will please a few just for that alone.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Tavi said:

I am still highly doubtful that the Atari Box is going to go far once the novelty and nostalgia wear off it;

That's the crux of it really - there's no evidence that Atari has the resources to overcome this sputter of a "launch." It's rare that a game console product has drastically improved sales after a poor start (Nintendo is the only company to pull it off, but they know what they are doing, are creative, have a vision, have ethics, etc).

Yes, it is surprising and worth noting that they actually have made something. I still don't think that excuses all of the problems we've pointed out over and over, but now that they have something, this does not mean it's suddenly the Field of Dreams. "Build it and they will come" doesn't apply when there are a bunch of much better existing fields all around you. 

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

All previous comments re: the power jack notwithstanding, are my eyes deceiving me or is the receptacle for the barrel connector hexagonal?

Sure looks like it.

Or well top part does. Maybe it's an illusion?

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 3

Atari to customers... Hey good news! we are going to ship you the item you paid for!
You may kneel and thank us our pittiful subjects! ???
I wonder if Atari is counting on the finished product helping them to win the case against they guy they stiffed.

I am excited for the Amico to come out and start a mini console war just like the good ol' days.
Nintendo Vs Sega
Coke vs Pepsi
Mc. Donalds vs Burger King ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

All previous comments re: the power jack notwithstanding, are my eyes deceiving me or is the receptacle for the barrel connector hexagonal?

I noticed this too, in the press photos.

Serious question folks: Do you guys think this make a viable Linux PC box, of am I better off searching elsewhere? Buy a used laptop or something? I have zero interest in this as a game system.

And I know I have dumped on this in the past, but they jacked up the price of the controller for launch. I spent $30 on my classic joystick "preorder" ?

1 hour ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

Serious question folks: Do you guys think this make a viable Linux PC box, of am I better off searching elsewhere? Buy a used laptop or something? I have zero interest in this as a game system.

If you just want something to wet your feet with in the Linux world, get a Raspberry Pi 4.  Depending on how you configure it, you'll be in it for $100 or less, which, as a training tool, is probably about as much as you'd want to throw into it.  If you decide that you want to get more deeply into Linux, great; spend the money at that time on something more geared towards your needs.

One other consideration: laptops can have weird / proprietary hardware that Linux doesn't always play nicely with.  This is much less of a problem today compared to in years past, but it can still crop up at times, and especially at the lower end of the market.  At least with the RasPi, Raspberry Pi OS (previously Raspbian) is pretty much going to work.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

4 hours ago, Andromeda Stardust said:

I noticed this too, in the press photos.

And I know I have dumped on this in the past, but they jacked up the price of the controller for launch. I spent $30 on my classic joystick "preorder" ?

As x=user(1536) said, a Pi 4 is one option. In the locked thread, there were some links to some mini pcs for around the same money as the atacobox or less that will probably fit the bill.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Thanks 1