IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

^ At the very least, a shipping label should be generated by Halloween (October 31st)

"will begin shipping to Indiegogo backers this October"

They said "begin"  this is the first step in a shipping process, the shipping company is notified, so the label has been generated for the item to be picked up to begin the transportation process.

They cannot possibly mean that they are putting the things into boxes, that does not count as "shipping", it counts as packing.
This company has more shady than a Tropical Palms tree. ???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The 29th is a Thursday, so that is the last day they can delay, it has to go out by Friday morning so that it can get "overnight" shipping to at least 1 backer by Saturday so that they can claim they met the deadline.

Edited by OCAT

13 hours ago, OCAT said:

^ At the very least, a shipping label should be generated by Halloween (October 31st)

"will begin shipping to Indiegogo backers this October"

They said "begin"  this is the first step in a shipping process, the shipping company is notified, so the label has been generated for the item to be picked up to begin the transportation process.

They cannot possibly mean that they are putting the things into boxes, that does not count as "shipping", it counts as packing.

Maybe they think that putting them on the boat from the factory in China to the fulfilment center in the US counts as the first step in the shipping process? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, TACODON said:

Someone posted this on YouTube claiming to be something. I think this was the same channel with the shoebox maybe?

We can rip this and all make our own Atarishoebox console now! Now I need to find me an ex-Microsoft employee to help make my shoebox look more legitimate than it is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

Back a year ago I would have said my electronics would arrive in the following possible order: Amico, VCS, PS5. Looks like it might end up being PS5, VCS, Amico. Received a thing from Sony claiming they'll be shipping me something on October 30th. 

I think you have the PS5 right. The other two I wouldn't bet on one way or the other. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

So if I was to make an RetroPie image with that YouTube video as the boot up and found a way to distribute it would anyone be interested? No roms included of course.

No need to go to that much effort; there's already a HOWTO for doing exactly that.

https://scribles.net/customizing-boot-up-screen-on-raspberry-pi/

Late edit: just realised you mentioned video, not a static image.  Here's that set of instructions:

https://rusnak.io/autoplay-video-on-raspberry-pi/

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

No need to go to that much effort; there's already a HOWTO for doing exactly that.

https://scribles.net/customizing-boot-up-screen-on-raspberry-pi/

Late edit: just realised you mentioned video, not a static image.  Here's that set of instructions:

https://rusnak.io/autoplay-video-on-raspberry-pi/

Yeah static is usually a little easier. I've done a video before but it's been awhile.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it wasn't exactly a glowing article.

The company is facing economic headwinds. While Covid-19 has led to a surge in people staying home and playing games, many millions have lost their jobs or fear losing them. That could limit their spending this holiday season and push consumers to opt for major players’ new consoles, instead.

There’s also the pricing. Atari’s all-in bundle, which includes an 8-gigabyte Atari VCS, a wireless controller, a wireless classic joystick, and 100 classic arcade and console games, costs $390. The Xbox Series S starts at $300.

“I am kind of pessimistic, to be honest, because you are going head to head with Xbox and PlayStation 5,” said Lewis Ward, an analyst at researcher IDC. “Obviously if you are a huge fan of Atari games, there’s always a nostalgia basis. But simply on a price-to-value ratio, I don’t see how this becomes more than a niche product.”

Covid-19 had already delayed the VCS -- it was previously scheduled to ship in March. What’s more, Atari faces looming competition even in the retro category. Intellivision Entertainment plans to release its Amico player early next year with a starting price of around $249. That player “is looking more impressive,” Cole said.

Atari’s foray into cryptocurrencies could also be hit or miss. Past efforts to marry tokens with video games haven’t panned out.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

So, let us see what the situation is Pros vs Cons

What the VCS has going for it:
-Atari logo that glows
-All games and back end costs Atari $0 since all games are coming from other companies
-Tokens that seem more of a way to get people and posible underage into gambling (allegedly) and I am not talking about "suprise mechanics"
-They can use it to sue more people, possibly every Chinese take out joint that have 2 sticks together with a chicken ball that looks like Pong.
-They might actually edge out the Amico stupavision ?
-Nostalgia
-People stuck inside this winter might actually bite, so Atari might make a sale that would normally go to money spent on more rewarding things like Tacos.

What the VCS has against it:
-iPhone SE, 12, iPads, Android devices
-Browser on a computer with games
-Xbox
-PS5,4,3,2,1,0 even the Nintendo playstation prototype because it has games.
-Switch lite
-Any decent PC that can play games
-Deck of UNO cards
-Deck of cards from the Dollar store
-Drinking bird
-Coleco Chameleon book kickstarter
-Fidget spinner
-Current global pandemix
-The Atari name on the console
-

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

On 10/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, OCAT said:

Palm trees are notoriously poor at providing shade. See this article on LA's palm-tree driven shade crisis, or come visit the Gold Coast - Australia's heatstroke capital ☀️?

How about "This company has more shade than a drag convention" or "This company is more Shady than Marshall B. Mathers III"?

4 hours ago, OCAT said:

What the VCS has against it:

- if you're a kid, it's competing against the five best toys of all time.

Spoiler

The five best toys of all time are:

1. Sticks
  2. Boxes
  3. String
  4. Cardboard tubes
  5. ...and dirt.

• Like 4

^ I disagree with that compilation.

When I was a kid I did not have rich parents, also I did not play with crap, I was taking apart electronis to see how they worked and tried to put them back together, yup I was one of those kids. Anything I could get my hands on, Radios, VCR's tape plaers, Rotary telephones, car parts (alternators lights), old TV's (very dangerous as I could have gotten shocked by the residual charge) oh yea I got shocked.

Also This is not for kids, it is aimed at adults who remember Atari games, so we are about 40+ now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OCAT said:

Also This is not for kids, it is aimed at adults who remember Atari games, so we are about 40+ now.

I agree with this statement. There's very little here that would be appealing to non-adults. There are better game consoles, better computers, better targeted DIY computer-like devices, etc. This is arguably primarily for nostalgic middle aged people with very specific use cases in mind. Nothing wrong with that ultra-niche market, although there are of course still people out there who think this has broad appeal for some reason.

• Like 6