IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Just now, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Not yet, I asked UNIS about it and they said that's for Atari to reveal, but they did say "We aim for our markets in December," so I imagine we'll get that before too long. I really can't imagine this being above $99, probably less.

I wouldn't pay more than $30 for this. They churn these things out in China for $5 a pop all day long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Not yet, I asked UNIS about it and they said that's for Atari to reveal, but they did say "We aim for our markets in December," so I imagine we'll get that before too long. I really can't imagine this being above $99, probably less.

If it is over $99, it's going to have some serious competition.

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.babipur.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/2737x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/6/4619-plan-toys-cup-ball.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Atari just sent out a press release about the Mini Pong Jr.. Includes a couple of pics of the actual unit. Odd that they still haven't done something like this for the VCS:

minipongjr2.thumb.jpg.88f32e78c66063f8ee5599eb63cf9afe.jpgminipongjr1.thumb.jpg.b320f6381b47bf350f0938d5c5432627.jpg

How did they (UNIS) manage to get that made so quickly, and without 3 million dollars of suckers' money (which we know was only gathered to build a community)?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I really can't imagine this being above $99, probably less.

LOL, that is a cheap POS Chinese Pong unit, which costs $5 tops to make.  If this is more than $29.99, they got another set of boxes to sit on.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

LOL, that is a cheap POS Chinese Pong unit, which costs $5 tops to make.  If this is more than $29.99, they got another set of boxes to sit on.

There is no reason that anyone should be selling Pong in a stand-alone form in 2020.  It should be part of a $14.99 compilation pack for a console or be a $1.99 app for a smartphone.  Trying to sell such a weak IP in hardware form now is pathetic.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

There is also no reason for Atari branded dog poop bags, but they would sell them, if they could come up with an excuse to do so.

Well, the excuse is that people will buy them.  Except, I don't really think that's true anymore.  The recently announced products probably *won't* sell well, because their value is being massively overstated.  Does someone out there want Pong?  I'm sure of it?  Is it worth more than a fast-food meal in any form?  I doubt it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

There is also no reason for Atari branded dog poop bags, but they would sell them, if they could come up with an excuse to do so.

I think it's more like a company that sells dogshit bags can go to atari and get a license to put the atari logo on those bags without issue as they will do absolutely anything they can squeeze money out of the corpse of that name and logo. They could care less what the product might be as long as they pay the "licensing fee".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

I think it's more like a company that sells dogshit bags can go to atari and get a license to put the atari logo on those bags without issue as they will do absolutely anything they can squeeze money out of the corpse of that name and logo. They could care less what the product might be as long as they pay the "licensing fee".

And then, ironically, said company will literally have more use for actual dogshit than the Atari logo.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

And then, ironically, said company will literally have more use for actual dogshit than the Atari logo.

But the Atari logo sold 3 millions dollars worth of dogshit cat litter boxes. Crack one open and you have two litter boxes. See if I'm not right. On the flip side, the Atari logo is also responsible for the loss of 3 million dollars in sales of tacos. I want some enterprising young nutter to open up an Ataco box and fill it with tacos.

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, godslabrat said:

There is no reason that anyone should be selling Pong in a stand-alone form in 2020.  It should be part of a $14.99 compilation pack for a console or be a $1.99 app for a smartphone.  Trying to sell such a weak IP in hardware form now is pathetic.

Paddle Controls is the only real reason

• Like 2

I am going to get in on this Atari nostalgia train... here are the 2 products I think will make $$$
I am glad this is going to be a dumster fire, the Hubris Atari showed in the past demands the name pay dearly, They could have owned Nintendo distribution, also Sega. This level of F-ups cannot be forgiven. Now Atari is doing what they should have done decades ago. Except all they can put the name on are sub-par trinkets and flashbacks.

NEWATARIPRODUCTS.jpg

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Does someone out there want Pong?  I'm sure of it?  Is it worth more than a fast-food meal in any form?  I doubt it.

I've already seen people salivating in the FB groups. I don't understand the urge to collect stuff that doesn't seem to have any collectible value, but they're out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, racerx said:

I don't understand the urge to collect stuff that doesn't seem to have any collectible value, but they're out there.

Everything has collectible value to someone -- even if it may take a while to be realised.  

I remember being in an antique shop that had a large display of Presidential election ephemera. Nixon and Eisenhower political buttons were given away by (at least) the tens of thousands, and most were tossed immediately after the election. Today, these things are actively collected. 

I have also seen used bookstores asking fairly large amounts of money for 1980s Canadian government publications that were freely distributed when new. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jhd said:

Everything has collectible value to someone -- even if it may take a while to be realised.  

Yes, but those examples are collectible/valuable because people didn't collect them. Same with the original Star Wars toys that people didn't think to leave sealed.

This crap goes immediately onto someone's shelf to gather dust. The sheer fact that people are buying them for that reason ensures they won't ever be worth much. It's just compulsive collecting.

• Like 5

So, theoretically the Pong unit (and maybe it really shouldn't be discussed in this thread, but whatever) is cool because you can play online with it, it has paddle controllers and a nice look and feel, you can do tabletop co-op with it, it has a decent solo mode, and it allows for super-quick online leaderboard sessions for the Pong-dedicated. That said I have no idea if the actual thing you get will meet any of these conditions in terms of well done and fun. 

Me personally, it's a fun bit of thing for $15, maybe $20 if it is made decently, but it probably won't be, and will cost more than that. Who knows? 

Imagine if all this is, is just 2 capacitive knobs on a screen covered by a bezel and not true analog controlls?, No way these are true mechanical
------------------

My take on collecting, I got into it at a young age without even knowing, and I think we all did. We all collected those TERRIBLE Bazzooka Joe comics, when you had 500 of them you got a free hat xD  5c was a lot of money back in the day. I am from Canada, I collected Canadian Tire money and I was a ble to buy Super Mario 3 on sale!

People collect for varios reasons, some for the hobby,
A-Valuable but not expensive, ie Coins, it takes a lot of work to find rare ones by diging through bags of coins and research
B-People who collect non-valuable items but still very interesting to listen speak about it
C-People who collect extremely valuable items
D-People that do it for profit and ONLY profit, the wost if the lot, just like that Debacle with Tim Atwood andt he NES collectors.

The problem with some people is collecting becomes HOARDING, I know I have a family memeber that has a problem :(
The other thing is that you need to rememeber that you are just a custodian of the stuff, when you pass away you dont know what will happen to your collection so dont let it take over you life!  Junk is Junk.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:29 AM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I've got some more details on that here:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2020/10/20/unis-atari-are-bringing-pong-home-again-with-mini-pong-jr/

I've also confirmed with UNIS (makers of this particular product and the Atari PONG Table arcade machines) that they have no involvement with the VCS, although it was offered to them for the Chinese market...

Arcade1Up (Tastmakers) is doing the distribution.

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Me personally, it's a fun bit of thing for $15, maybe $20 if it is made decently, but it probably won't be, and will cost more than that. Who knows? 

$12.95 (w/free shipping) would be my limit for it.

Besides, I still have one of these:

tiger-pong-handheld.jpg.30bed119d67a882228755077bed1be15.jpg

• Like 3