IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

On 10/20/2020 at 5:44 PM, CPUWIZ said:

There is also no reason for Atari branded dog poop bags, but they would sell them, if they could come up with an excuse to do so.

Do the poop bags have speakers and a Fuji logo? Dispose of poop like never before!

That's why I threw out the $99 "ceiling." Given what they're charging for the VCS, I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see them pretend that it's worth a ton of money ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Do the poop bags have speakers and a Fuji logo?

Absolutely!  They also integrate with the Speakerhat for maximum bomb-diggity!

pewphat.thumb.png.82233afc5978f9ef3b99c306f703a958.png

Hat, hand, and change from panhandling remaining Indiegogo financial contributions chocolate euro coins not included.  Speakerhat may differ from the one shown.  AtariPoopBag does not come pre-filled.

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Do the poop bags have speakers and a Fuji logo? Dispose of poop like never before!

That's why I threw out the $99 "ceiling." Given what they're charging for the VCS, I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see them pretend that it's worth a ton of money ;)

I agree, $99 is a fair cap on novelty items, which is what any 'throwback' console would be right now.  You can expect people to grab those just for laughs.  But when you talk about what the VCS is charging... you really need to be able to show that is a viable platform.  

• Like 3

I won one yesterday as a part of a contest on the UNIS Showcase 2020 event. They mentioned it near the end of the presentation, showing a couple of people in a corporate meeting room playing one, but aren't allowed to share price since that's all up to Atari. Likely Atari is gauging reactions out there and seeing how high they can go.  

Still, I should have one "by December," maybe a few days before they're available at retail. I'll report back whenever it shows up

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added hyperlink
  • Like 9

So in a rush of honest disclosure on IGG:

Atari 7 hours ago

PROJECT OWNER

We are waiting for internal approvals/confirmations and plan to provide a fresh shipping update within the next couple business days. Thanks for your patience. We promise it won’t be much longer!

I read this as Fake ATARI had not even done their due diligence on how to import a product into the U.S.?

I assume the original pallet was delivered as “sample stock” and that exempt status gave them false confidence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

^HAHAHAH! "Fresh".. how old is this thing?

"New Atari Console that Ataribox?
By Goochman, June 9, 2017 in Atari 2600"

that's not too fresh, even if it was in the chest freezer.
Perhaps they tried to import htem as "Tacos" on the declaration, Food inspection was like "ummm"

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ I want to see a video on youtube of someone unboxing, then setting it up then playing games.

Remember the Coleco Chameleon unboxing? You can make anything these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKR1XNsHKeU

From the article: "The Atari VCS unit is beautiful. I haven't booted it up yet so I can't comment on the performance or usability, but the unit itself is pretty and sturdy. It'll be a pain to keep it dust-free with all the surface features, though!"

Just the kind of info you want to hear from a developer.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Who cares about how this thing performs - she sure is purty and shiny.  LMFAO.  Like a chromed car that is all show and no go.  Like a fake plastic surgerified gold digger with blow up boobs.  All looks and no substance.  Damn - I sure wish I paid for one of these.  Two or three even.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

From the article: "The Atari VCS unit is beautiful. I haven't booted it up yet so I can't comment on the performance or usability, but the unit itself is pretty and sturdy. It'll be a pain to keep it dust-free with all the surface features, though!"

Just the kind of info you want to hear from a developer.

Who spends the time reporting an unboxing without actually powering it on?  That screams either "fake" or "idiot".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Who spends the time reporting an unboxing without actually powering it on?  That screams either "fake" or "idiot".

Why should we expect anything less?  The last ass-hat that got a "console" "shipped" to them couldn't even show pictures then promptly disappeared.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Why should we expect anything less?  The last ass-hat that got a "console" "shipped" to them couldn't even show pictures then promptly disappeared.

Just to be clear... is l'Atari now supposed to be shipping the alleged 96 they made for "dev kits", or are these supposedly going to people who paid for them?

Edited by godslabrat

2 hours ago, The Historian said:

From that link:

For those who have been waiting for their Atari VCS consoles - the day is near!

I just received my dev kit and with permission from Atari, I'm sharing a few photos here. I know there are people out there who don't believe the VCS is real - let me assure you it very much is real! There is one sitting on my desk right next to me as I write this post.

(Emphasis above is mine)

Devkits are just now reaching devs?  That's an interesting choice, Nutari.  Ditto that the devkit looks remarkably like a retail version...

Next up I'll be booting it up, compiling Guntech in Unity for it and seeing how much work it is to get it up and running on-device. I've developed the game near-final without final hardware, and I'm hoping it will "just work".

OK, given that this thing is basically just low-end PC hardware, I can see where setting up a development environment could conceivably be done by hand on just about any x86/64 system.  But, jeez, this is so bass-ackwards from how this is normally done that all it really does is perpetuate the idea that Nutari is just clownshoes.

Oh, and the box it comes in looks cheap.  I mean really cheap.  Like, I've-seen-Famiclones-sold-from mall-kiosks-in-better-packaging cheap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

He's posted up a picture of it plugged in and running Atari Vault now.

He's also confirmed that the packaging is not final, so this is presumably one of the units that they said were going out to devs in July.

As such, I suspect there'll be a little longer to wait for the backer units.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

He's posted up a picture of it plugged in and running Atari Vault now.

He's also confirmed that the packaging is not final, so this is presumably one of the units that they said were going out to devs in July.

As such, I suspect there'll be a little longer to wait for the backer units.

Yep, ATARI has said as much on IGG ... another broken delivery promise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

Someone clarify, Atari Vault are the old 2600 flashback collection of games that are built into the system that do not require any internet connectivity?

It's a $10 (at the moment) mix of 100 Atari 2600 and arcade games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

It's well done and is available on PC Windows, Linux, and Mac. There's a semi-related Atari Flashback Classics series on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch as well.

A slightly larger variation of Atari console and arcade ROMs is included in the $75 Micro Center Atari Pi Kit: https://www.microcenter.com/product/624102/atari-pi-kit and similar $150 Atari Dual Fight Stick: https://www.microcenter.com/product/623128/atari-dual-fight-stick-with-trackball-usb

• Like 2