IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

What blows my mind is that people invest fortunes in things like Atari hotels, which are certain to be massive failures... and average people with practical, innovative ideas can't get a few grand together to start themselves off on the right foot.

The guy who is a day late and a dollar short gets shafted. The guy who sinks the whole company never has to worry about missing a meal.

Exactly!   And have you guys seen Chesnais's salary?  

EDIT:  Looks like I'm wrong...I could swear we saw a large number in the past...

Public assets : 8,238,003 USD

However,

A recent search showed this:

"According to our data, Atari SA has a market capitalization of €84m, and paid its CEO total annual compensation worth €51k over the year to March 2019. "

I haven't found anything on 2020...

Well, that's not too bad.   I don't want to spread any misinformation.

I still wonder why he doesn't pay his employees, though (allegedly) ?

Edited by GoldLeader
I decided to search for the info, not speculate based on past (mis) information...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I really thought maybe it was something like that...But I corrected my post because I was wrong...(Please see edited post)

No worries - that response was mainly just for the sake of smartarsery on my behalf.  That said, I find €51K dubious as the actual amount that he earned...

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MarioMan88 said:

You trying to attract attention from a certain someone who don’t like all that soft core stuff the Big N has on the Switch? 

??

Softcore? We all know its 200% full throttle hardcore. Mario has been dancing on a pole for 35 years and doesn't seem to be slowing down. Oh the horror!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Meanwhile...

CBR: Tron Meets Blade Runner in Atari Hotel Design Images: Video game giant Atari unveiled the first concept art for its upcoming line of hotels, which will be built in eight cities across the United States.

I am disappointed that there is nothing close to the East Coast.

I have been to Seattle, and I want to visit Chicago, but I would stay at an Atari hotel if there were one in Boston. 

Why places like Phoenix and San Jose? 

3 hours ago, jhd said:

I am disappointed that there is nothing close to the East Coast.

I have been to Seattle, and I want to visit Chicago, but I would stay at an Atari hotel if there were one in Boston. 

Why places like Phoenix and San Jose? 

San Jose is probably on the list due to its proximity to Silicon Valley.  They also likely couldn't afford property in Sunnyvale, so the ultimate nostalgia trip is off the table.

As for Phoenix, I have no idea.  But it's just a seven-hour drive from the Alamogordo, NM landfill, so there's plenty to see and do for gamers everywhere!

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Is anyone else tempted to mock up a booking site for them and see if there are any takers from the IGG crowd before they're even built?

^ Just put in the add "Pre-book your stay and get a limited edition Atari Mask" a $50 value!

atmask.jpg

simask.jpg

• Haha 3

"DIGITAL" and "COLLECTABLE" are two words that CAN NOT go together. EVER. These mofo's watched that CyberPunk trailer 1 too many times....
Also Johnny Nemonic and Total Recall, The Matrix.... I can go on...

What happens next month when the Atari goes bankrupt and the servers are disontinued? Can you download your collectables? ??

8 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

Who is the audience for this?

I don't know, but I'm amazed that the same generations that complain about the cost of housing/education/healthcare apparently don't have an issue paying real money for literally nothing. We fogies laughed at Supreme but it looks like they were on to something.

This is genuinely marketing genius. We're now selling imaginary products that cost nothing to make, and charging more for imaginary scarcity. The kids are actually buying the emperor's new clothes. Sheer brilliance.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, racerx said:

I don't know, but I'm amazed that the same generations that complain about the cost of housing/education/healthcare apparently don't have an issue paying real money for literally nothing. We fogies laughed at Supreme but it looks like they were on to something.

This is genuinely marketing genius. We're now selling imaginary products that cost nothing to make, and charging more for imaginary scarcity. The kids are actually buying the emperor's new clothes. Sheer brilliance.

That's making big assumptions that anyone will be interested in this.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, racerx said:

Both my wife and I do gig economy delivery for extra cash, and we live in a University town.

Students will have no problem ordering a single drink from Starbucks, which will run them about $10-$12 by the time it's delivered, then half-assedly apologize to you when you drop it off for not being able to afford to give you a tip because they're a poor student.

I really hope that none of them are economics majors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm convinced this is yet another scheme to boost the stock price a little bit.  Announce a feature no one wants, that costs nearly nothing, consumes no resources, and has all the applicable buzzwords.  

Truly, I don't think getting actual people to buy this was ever a thought.

• Like 4