IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

The IGG backers comment section is getting interesting lately if anyone needs a laugh. I won't screenshot because I hate to give those clowns more exposure. 

So that's what Sad Bizarro World looks like. For those of the TruAtariFaithTM, they do know that the comment section isn't a live chat room, right? 

tenor.gif

9 hours ago, Agillig said:

At first I thought they were announcing a release date for the system.   But no, they're selling digital collectibles,  whatever that is.  What are they thinking?20201028_084911.thumb.jpg.da02318faf94864abc4f3d6700c6bf52.jpg

I have a feeling that their "stunning rarity" is just a screenshot of some eBay seller saying "FS: COMBAT - ATARI 2600 *RARE*"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This thing is going to flop faster than a slice of thin crust pizza with extra toppings. ?

Someone needs to remind Atari that this nostalgia crack the fans are smoking will not save the VCS when it has no games. If someone opens a window and all that crack fume & smoke dissipates, people will see the sad state Atari is in. Perhaps Atari should sell Atari branded mini pedistals for the VCS, just like the Playstatino 5 you will be able to orient it standing UP of flat. Trust me, people will buy it. they only care about that looks.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's something to be finally showing off the dev kits that were first mentioned around this time last year!

More generally, every mildly positive announcement is invariably a development that they inferred happened months, if not years, ago so it just serves to illustrate how far reality is lagging behind the hype.

• Like 2

"I'm going to show you something very special... this is a low end Linux PC... amazing, right?"

Nice that there's proof of at least one 3rd party dev receiving hardware, though.  At this rate, they should have a few games ready for the holiday season in 2021.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Digital collectible"? Isn't that some kind of oxymoron?

These guys are really amazing. Every time I think they've reached the absolute bottom, they manage to come up with yet another shady and disgusting scheme and go even lower. Like really evil version of Del & Rodney from Only Fools and Horses, minus the charm and wit.

• Like 5

^ Anyone notice the amount of Jump-Cuts in the video?
The one that bothers me is that after he turns it on, there is ANOTHER jump-cut.. how many hours does it take to boot up?
it happens at 1:59, after he pushes the "on" button a few seconds before. I surmise it is to make it look like it is fast to boot up. I am guessing Atari told him to do that (Allegedly)

I want to see footage of it unboxed, set up with the Atari controller not the competitions' product attached (like Mike Kennedy's SNES Atari-Jaguar), then boot up with the entire initial sequence in one continuous take, no jump cuts.

Think about this, the only games on the system are the Atari 2600 games, there is no internet connectivity so how long should this take to load games that are smaller than a browser cookie? ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, youxia said:

"Digital collectible"? Isn't that some kind of oxymoron?

This seems to be a new trend today.  Disney is doing the same thing.  You "collect" trading cards that are only available digitally in an app.  You can even trade stuff with others, etc.  I have no clue who came up with this idea first but it seems "Atari" is just doing something other companies are doing.  It's still nonsense to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OCAT said:

^ Anyone notice the amount of Jump-Cuts in the video?
The one that bothers me is that after he turns it on, there is ANOTHER jump-cut.. how many hours does it take to boot up?
it happens at 1:59, after he pushes the "on" button a few seconds before. I surmise it is to make it look like it is fast to boot up. I am guessing Atari told him to do that (Allegedly

If you read the comments section, he addresses that.

What is up with the Jump-cut at 2:00? how long does this initially take to boot up?

Hide reply
Jani Penttinen
I timed it, about 17 seconds from the time you hit the power button to the time the vector graphics appears on the screen, if the device was powered off and of course faster if it was just sleeping as usually would be the case. I had it unplugged first so it took longer and I didn't like it so cut it out.
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Aaaaand the very first comment after the video posted on Atariage Facebook.....OH JOHN, JOHN, JOHN, JOHN......?????

At least we know John is alive and doing well. We haven't heard from him in quite some time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Something.......I guess?.....maybe?

It's nice of Atari to finally get back to developers after the fiasco of ignoring them for YEARS (since they had nothing to offer, but still ,why setup the "dev@atari.com" email address if you didn't plan on responding to anyone interested). I wish Jan the best luck, although anyone can support him right now since this is available on Steam right now for $10. But hey, at least it's something more than just Atari Vault on your $300+ game console!

• Like 6

Atari has announced a delay in shipment, blaming delivery of the classic joysticks to get consoles to backers and a shortage of a key ryzen component as a delay in delivery to everyone else. 

Per usual, the email that links to their Medium blog contains more information, so copying it here:

As you have likely realized, despite our team’s aggressive efforts to avoid it, Atari VCS deliveries are delayed just a little bit longer and will commence in mid-November instead of late October as we had planned.

The short version: Most of the VCS hardware and peripherals are in our US warehouses, except for the Classic Joysticks, which prevents the start of fulfilment. We have secured air-freight during the busy holiday shipping season, and now Atari is expediting the imports of these remaining products, so backers won’t have to wait much longer for delivery. 

Here’s exactly what is going on:

• All Atari VCS units and Modern Controllers earmarked to fill backer orders are either in the US warehouse or will be before the end of the month.
  • After being delayed due to a late-arriving part, all Classic Joysticks for backers are now scheduled to start departing the factory on 11/5/2020.
  • To mitigate this additional delay, Atari has now arranged to import the joysticks from China via air freight, rather than by traditional trans-ocean shipping. This will significantly reduce the travel time from the typical 6+ weeks, down to 10-14 days.
  • Based on this revised schedule, and barring any unusual customs delays (we’ve already experienced a couple), we expect to have all merchandise on hand in the US warehouse and ready to ship to backers starting as soon as the week of November 16th.
  • Orders will go out via standard shipping in roughly the order that they were made. Product serial numbers will not follow any specific order sequence. This includes both domestic and international orders. 
  • We do not yet know the pace or daily outbound capacity of the fulfilment center and will share any info we can when it becomes available.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My short take: Don't count on getting your VCS starting in mid-November. I recall being one of the earliest backers, so maybe I'll have it by Thanksgiving. There's no way the Classic Joysticks get shipped to the U.S. then sent out by then. You'll probably get it by the end of the year, though. 

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 3

I think the best part is they blame demand for running out of parts in the supply chain. They just can’t keep up with the demand! Even though they have known exactly how many backer systems they have needed to make for years now. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

My short take: Don't count on getting your VCS starting in mid-November. I recall being one of the earliest backers, so maybe I'll have it by Thanksgiving. There's no way the Classic Joysticks get shipped to the U.S. then sent out by then. You'll probably get it by the end of the year, though. 

Wishful thinking- given previous prevarication by ATARI there is no hard evidence of anything they claim - my bet is they will supply Walmart before backers and no one will see anything before year end ... if it ever happens

36 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Atari has announced a delay in shipment, blaming delivery of the classic joysticks to get consoles to backers and a shortage of a key ryzen component as a delay in delivery to everyone else. 

Per usual, the email that links to their Medium blog contains more information, so copying it here:

As you have likely realized, despite our team’s aggressive efforts to avoid it, Atari VCS deliveries are delayed just a little bit longer and will commence in mid-November instead of late October as we had planned.

The short version: Most of the VCS hardware and peripherals are in our US warehouses, except for the Classic Joysticks, which prevents the start of fulfilment. We have secured air-freight during the busy holiday shipping season, and now Atari is expediting the imports of these remaining products, so backers won’t have to wait much longer for delivery. 

Here’s exactly what is going on:

• All Atari VCS units and Modern Controllers earmarked to fill backer orders are either in the US warehouse or will be before the end of the month.
  • After being delayed due to a late-arriving part, all Classic Joysticks for backers are now scheduled to start departing the factory on 11/5/2020.
  • To mitigate this additional delay, Atari has now arranged to import the joysticks from China via air freight, rather than by traditional trans-ocean shipping. This will significantly reduce the travel time from the typical 6+ weeks, down to 10-14 days.
  • Based on this revised schedule, and barring any unusual customs delays (we’ve already experienced a couple), we expect to have all merchandise on hand in the US warehouse and ready to ship to backers starting as soon as the week of November 16th.
  • Orders will go out via standard shipping in roughly the order that they were made. Product serial numbers will not follow any specific order sequence. This includes both domestic and international orders. 
  • We do not yet know the pace or daily outbound capacity of the fulfilment center and will share any info we can when it becomes available.

Thanks for the summary, it saves having to pull out the hip-waders to make it though their posts myself.

What jumps out at me is 'we expect to have all merchandise on hand in the US warehouse and ready to ship to backers starting as soon as the week of November 16th.'. Which means their best possible scenario to have the items on hand and begin shipping is on Nov. 16th. Which would bump the arrival date (for the US backers at least) to I imagine closer to end of November.

So another month delay, on top of the other previous two years of delays. They seem to be getting closer to getting the Atari Box over the line and actually delivered, but it is just painful (yet still entertaining) to watch how badly they managed to muck up almost every single stage of creating and releasing their un-console. I am sure there has to be a Borat-level of movie material here Atari could probably make a mint in releasing. 'Atari - Console System for Make Benefit Stock Options of Glorious
Chesnais'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1