IGNORED

Atari 2600 Programming for Newbies - the book

Dionoid

My order of your book arrived at my door today! Sadly the top flap was already opened and there was no book inside! :-(

When I ordered the Stella Programmer's Guide from Lulu it also arrived with the top flap open but luckily the book was inside. I don't think Lulu is using very good glue to seal shut their envelopes and I'm guessing your book slid out in transport and wasn't just stolen. It's probably now sliding around in the back of a postal truck! The letter carrier didn't ring the doorbell when they dropped it off and just left it without knocking either, I think they saw there was nothing inside and didn't want to be there when I got the empty envelope.

I contact Lulu about it a couple of hours ago so hopefully they'll be able to send a replacement copy for me. :-(

And did Lulu send you a replacement copy?

• Like 1

They did replace it promptly, this time the flap was sealed and everything was inside, hooray!

Sorry, I forgot to follow up here that I got the replacement and just talked about it on the ZeroPage livestream. Thanks for putting out this book Dion! :-)

And did Lulu send you a replacement copy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually your name is mentioned 5 times in this book, which might be a reason to order a copy after all :-)

And Lulu.com offers free shipping regularly, which means the total costs will be under 6 euro's for you. Just saying :-)

$13,29, I just checked

$13,29, I just checked

They have raised the price from #4.69 to $8.21. Was that recent?

It's $8.21 if you're ordering from Canada and $4.69 from the US. From Germany it should say "Preis: 5,69 € (exkl. MwSt)".

Maybe the price is different depending on where in the US or Germany you are located?

Weird...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Every few years I come back around to giving programming the VCS a shot, and that started with Andrew's tutorials. Currently working through "Making Games for the Atari 2600", and was happy to pick up these two to go along with it. Thanks to all involved!

• Like 1

Hello, everyone!

Just passing by to say I've ordered both. Sadly, shipping to Brazil costs more than the two books combined ?

I've also read the tutorials and the programming guide before, but I think it's nice to own a nicely printed out version of them. That also makes me feel I'm supporting our community and 2600 development as a whole.

Congratulations on you guys' excellent work!

• 3 months later...

[edited: link to PDF added]

Hot news: the book Atari 2600 Programming for Newbies - Revised Edition by Andrew Davie is now available on Lulu.com for only $4.69.

Order your copy here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/andrew-davie/atari-2600-programming-for-newbies-revised-edition/paperback/product-23644281.html

Basically this book is the printed version of the Atari 2600 programming tutorials by Andrew Davie that he originally posted on these forums between 2003 and 2004 (and one extra session posted in 2012). Editing and formatting was done by yours truly.

Note that in 2011 someone already bundled these tutorials into a book and published it on Lulu.com, but IMO there are a lot of issues with that version (e.g. no page numbers, missing session no. 25, images cut off on the end of the page, outlining issues, code samples hard to read because of wrapping). That's why I decided to call my version the "Revised Edition" :-)

I formatted all code samples to make them readable in print-format, fixed a few spelling errors and also did some editing where the original text was clearly assuming the reader is reading the text online.

Note that I'm not making a single dollar-cent on this; you only pay for the printing of the booklet. The consequence is that Andrew Davie is also not making any money from this, but knowing that in 2011 he was OK with the other published book on Lulu.com, I hope he's also OK with this new "Revised Edition".

The binding and printing of this book is really nice. The pages are black & white, but the cover is full color (see attached images). I also added Andrew's avatar on the back of the book :-)

And Lulu.com regularly has these promotions where they offer free shipping, making this a real bargain!

Here is a link to the PDF for your convenience: attachicon.gifAtari_2600_Programming_for_Newbies_Revised_Edition.pdf

Cheers,

Dion

i have orderer the old and new editions Andrew!!
thank you DIONOID!! for all the work you did formating, etc with this new edition to be possible!!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...