IGNORED

Original VCS (or Odyssey) players? (research project)

sociologist

So how did your project turn out, or are you still doing it?

2600 was my first love, and I got in as it was going out, so I got a large collection of games cheap. I certainly played it well beyond its sell by date, well still do LOL.

Writing it up. Academic writing and publishing are slow :)

Gary...

Just reached out to you - how are things going? I hope others here had an opportunity to speak to you!

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Got back to you via email. ;)

• 7 months later...

I essentially had all the 8-bit consoles at one time or another, in the 70's and 80's. And some 16-bit units too. For varying reasons they were disposed of along the way and replaced with emulation. And emulation remains my #1 method of playing the classics.

It's a shame that nearly everyone hates on it. But..whatever..

While I doubt anyone here will be attending this conference, here are the session details just in case:

Session 117 OCC 206 Friday • 15:30 PM–17:00 PM

Art, Culture, and Popular Culture: Video Games: All Fun & Games? [RESEARCH IN PROGRESS SESSION]

Organizer: Linda Rillorta, Mt. San Antonio College
Presider: Gary Yeritsian, University of California Los Angeles
• No Skin = No Skill: Reproduction of Toxic Meritocracy and Capitalist Hierarchy in Free-To-Play Video Games .....Ian
Larson, University of California Irvine
• Identity in Video Game Contexts: Developing a Video Game Player Typology.....Kelsey Bigelow,
• Home Video Games and the Historical Rise of 'Prosumption'.....Gary Yeritsian, University of California Los Angeles
• Press Play: Engaging Millennials in Power, Diversity and Change through Video Games.....Daisy Herrera, California State
University Los Angeles; Stephanie Herrera, Los Angeles Dependency Lawyers, Inc.

http://www.pacificsoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-preliminary-program-as-of-January-29.pdf p. 27

As for lengthy delays in academic publishing, I co-authored a paper in 2001 that was not actually published until 2004! By that point, the content of the article was partially out-of-date/stale (and so no longer relevant to the target audience).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

While I doubt anyone here will be attending this conference, here are the session details just in case:

http://www.pacificsoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2019-preliminary-program-as-of-January-29.pdf p. 27

As for lengthy delays in academic publishing, I co-authored a paper in 2001 that was not actually published until 2004! By that point, the content of the article was partially out-of-date/stale (and so no longer relevant to the target audience).

Thanks for sharing - it was a fun (and well attended) panel.

• Like 1