IGNORED

TIME PILOT - final release

solo/ng

Fantastic release!!! As a humble contribution, for those who want a cassette version, I attached an small conversion I did recently. It uses a loader with a game to play during the loading process. Hope you like it!

Hmm, doesn't work for me. On original hardware and on Altirra either...

post-20150-0-98846300-1527269136.png

Hmm, doesn't work for me. On original hardware and on Altirra either...

attachicon.gifTpilot.png

Thank you for your feedback. I make it work on Altirra 3.00 in PAL and NTSC modes, with no issues.

Please try this A8CAS version on Altirra, just to discard if there is a problem in the WAV playing process. Please remove the ".TXT" extension.

Let me know if there is any issue.

Best regards!

tpilot.cas.txt

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback. I make it work on Altirra 3.00 in PAL and NTSC modes, with no issues.

Please try this A8CAS version on Altirra, just to discard if there is a problem in the WAV playing process. Please remove the ".TXT" extension.

Let me know if there is any issue.

Best regards!

CAS works fine on Altirra, so I guess it's the WAV. I will try to convert the CAS to WAV and check again.

But for now, I have to go to bed.

If I have not mentioned yet, Time Pilot is such a good conversion, thanks to all involved in the process!

And the cassette version is even cooler ;-)

Best regards, Tigerduck

CAS works fine on Altirra, so I guess it's the WAV. I will try to convert the CAS to WAV and check again.

But for now, I have to go to bed.

If I have not mentioned yet, Time Pilot is such a good conversion, thanks to all involved in the process!

And the cassette version is even cooler ;-)

Best regards, Tigerduck

Please use A8CAS instead of CAS2WAV to convert the file, because the loader uses FSK signals that only the A8CAS supports them.

Regards,

GHFM.

+1 for using a standard shell that will fit ALL A8s, not just 600XLs, 800XLs and XEs.

Take my money!

Also, someone should start a pissing match on Wikipedia over whether or not this is a 'legitimate' port. :-P

Edited by adam242
  • Like 2

Quite impressive.

Lot's of different P/M's to keep it interesting without getting bored. Speed is good too. Only difficulty I have are the controls because I'm used to the asteroids style of thrust and steering but that's just me I guess.

It is also me, I had to get used to the controls first too.

I expected that left and right will allow me to steer the plane to any valid direction, but the control scheme is simply different.

It is also me, I had to get used to the controls first too.

I expected that left and right will allow me to steer the plane to any valid direction, but the control scheme is simply different.

I am still fighting with the controls. Therefore I rarely make it past level 1...

About the engine:

Theoretically it can render unlimited soft sprites with n-parameters (like agility, velocity, position, customflags and so on) for every obejct.

There are also small cool stuff like input lag fix, original arcade control (it has exceptions here and there), big cloud x player mask (to hide player P/M object under bigcloud).

Could you share any details about soft sprites ? Preshifted ? Separate frames for left-right or maybe some dynamic left-right rotation ?

And that lag fix sounds interesting, didn't even know it's needed :)

Please use A8CAS instead of CAS2WAV to convert the file, because the loader uses FSK signals that only the A8CAS supports them.

Regards,

GHFM.

Transfered the wave file you provided again to cassette and used a XC11 instead of my XC12 program recoder and now it works!

Could you please specify what type of turbo loader you utilize?

Edited by Tigerduck
  • Like 1

I don't know if you guys read my review of the "Party Version" in the last Pro© mag but the gist of it was it was way too easy, however, now I think you have gone to the other extreme and made the game too hard. We've are playing the "final" version in the HSC at the moment, I've had lots of goes but have not beaten the first round, and am not making much progress, I've reached to the final boss once.

If there is any chance of changes I would make the first round easier e.g. no bombs or slower shots and then you can ramp it up. I don't know if/how many skill levels you have programmed. What you currently have here is good for perhaps the third round's difficulty.

The High Score screen would be improved by remembering the last set of initials.

;)

If there is any chance of changes I would make the first round easier e.g. no bombs or slower shots and then you can ramp it up. I don't know if/how many skill levels you have programmed. What you currently have here is good for perhaps the third round's difficulty.

@trbb, really? http://www.retronagazie.eu/mega-recenzja-time-pilot-2018-atari/(yes, Polish site) and https://youtu.be/Pm1MtmcvK-A - 178300 points ;)

And no, no mine ;)

Transfered the wave file you provided again to cassette and used a XC11 instead of my XC12 program recoder and now it works!

Could you please specify what type of turbo loader you utilize?

I used an XEX tape loader used in Chile in the late 80s, early 90s by a local distributor. We reconstructed it last year because the original disks from the owners were lost. I also added an small routine to save the tape at 800 bps instead of the standard 600 bps, so it could load faster. It's interesting that it features a pong-like game during the loading process. That makes the loading less tedious.

Regards,

GHFM.

I was playing the NTSC version in Altirra today and came across another issue. I finished the helicopter level but it did not advance to the next level, I was just left flying endlessly through cloud filled skies. Sort of relaxing though... I've attached a save state from Altirra. It's file extentension is .xex but it is a save state file. Altirra will load it with either file extension. (Ignore your plane being the wrong colors. That's an Altirra save state issue, not the program.)

Bob

Tpilot.xex

The save state I posted is also an easy way to see the problem with the clouds sometime displaying garbage characters on the screen when they are entering or exiting the left side of the screen. Just run the save state and point your ship left or right and watch the entering/exiting clouds on the left of the screen and before too long you should see some of them flash garbage characters.

Bob

Wow, that looks so nice, mock up I presume? (sorry, not been following the thread for a while)

From first post:

There are going to be physical version of the game on cartridge - Nir Dary is doing this and already got prototype. More information soon.

• Like 3