2 button joystick ?

R0ger

On 3/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, ascrnet said:

Hi All,

add 3 more games : :-D

• Dropzone
  • Star Raiders II
  • Lode Runner

this was a contribution from a friend who supports the project.

https://github.com/ascrnet/TestJoy2B/tree/master/games

regards

Hello from a newbie. Great work that all of you do. I have a question: Which of your games are also playable with an unmodified Sega Genesis controller? Are the keyboard keys still there? Some 2 button games that work with it? Defender and Dropzone are my favorites that I would like to play with the genesis controller (and maybe one additional keyboard key) if possible.

Thanks...

Bern

2 hours ago, biobern said:

Hello from a newbie. Great work that all of you do. I have a question: Which of your games are also playable with an unmodified Sega Genesis controller? Are the keyboard keys still there? Some 2 button games that work with it? Defender and Dropzone are my favorites that I would like to play with the genesis controller (and maybe one additional keyboard key) if possible.

Thanks...

Bern

The answer you are looking for is in this post: 

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

The answer you are looking for is in this post: 

Thank you. I tried out some of the games and I have some additions: The original keyboard keys are still there! So you can even play a 3 button game (Defender, Dropzone...) with a 2 button genesis controller and it's less painful than before. There is no reason not to use the hacked version of the games IMHO. Am I right?

19 minutes ago, biobern said:

Thank you. I tried out some of the games and I have some additions: The original keyboard keys are still there! So you can even play a 3 button game (Defender, Dropzone...) with a 2 button genesis controller and it's less painful than before. There is no reason not to use the hacked version of the games IMHO. Am I right?

Well, for me, it really depends on how the "feel" of controlling the game is for me with a Genesis controller vs. a standard joystick. I already use the Genesis pad for some games, only using the one button, but it depends on the game, some games I can control better and just feel more comfortable with a joystick. But for the games that feel right to me with the Genesis pad, I agree. For example, I always use the Genesis pad when I play Space Harrier as I like the control I have over that game with the pad instead of a joystick, and it seem fitting since it's a Sega game. Spy Hunter I don't like with the Genesis pad, so I'd rather play it with the custom CX40 joystick base with a second button (actually a switch, which I think is more authentic anyway, for smoke screen and oil slick, because if it were a real car, it would probably use a toggle switch or switch like I used) I showed before. It's been so long since I played the real Spy Hunter arcade game that I forget if it just used a standard arcade button for smoke and oil, or if it had a special switch or lever or whatever (especially in the sit-down cockpit arcade cabinets), does anyone recall? I'll have to see if I can find out...

So I'll try them all out, and the ones I prefer the pad over stick, or if it's good enough, even though I may not prefer it, but an advantage over all due to the second button instead of reaching for the keyboard, I'll swap out those games with the originals on whatever media format I have them on. Some I may prefer the control of the joystick over the two button advantage, because I can't control it as well with a pad.

But, on the other hand, I also have some two-button joysticks that I can modify for those games, so I guess once I do that, I'll switch all the one button versions out for the two button versions, now that I know there are so many 2 button hacked versions and are sure to be a few that I prefer to use the joystick with, it will make it worth the modification.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I also do this (swap original game with hacked version) with all the games that are being sprite hacked by TIX and others.

But I'm going to be giving a system to a friend that includes only an upgraded 800XL, SDrive max and The!Cart, and in his case, media will have the original and what I deem to be the best hacked version (where there are multiple versions released, like TIX did with Moon Patrol and other hacks). It's been over a decade since this friend had an 8-bit, so I want him to be able to remember and compare. He's not an online Atari fan (yet) or part of the Atari community, so I'm making sure The!Cart and the SD card are packed with pretty much the entire Atari library, old and new games, new hacks, cracked .ATR's, .XEX's and authentic .ATX versions, so he doesn't have to go look for anything and do it all himself online. I already have pretty much all of it downloaded, so I can just copy it all over. He won't have an SIO2PC to reflash The!Cart with, so it's got to be packed with all the roms I can find, so there is no need to reflash. He could of course copy ATR/ATX/XEX's to the SD card on SDrive max, but I'll save him the trouble since I already did it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralphy Rocket said:

Going back to hardware....Ever considered 8 bit parallel to serial converter...can do joystick and 4 buttons at the cost machine cycles to reset and clock in....and only 3 PIA lines

That's probably a bit too much for most people to handle at home. I like my own Sega Genesis converted controller, personally. Very easy to do (as long as you don't have the surface mount style board in the pad), and gives three separate buttons along with a jump (up) button.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, ascrnet said:

I understand you perfectly, I also have the same problems many projects and little time.

but it is progressing little by little ....?

Regards

All these new games being patched gave me the impetus to finish my multifire joystick.

I still need to add weights and non-slip feet but it works and feels excellent.

The buttons are, from the bottom, left to right, Fire 2, Fire 1, Fire 3 so the middle button is the primary one, the lower button is Fire 2 (smart bomb in Dropzone/Defender) and Fire 3 is under my ring finger. The switch remaps Fire 3 to UP for games where up is jump or flying kick. The two side buttons are Left/Right for pinball flipper controls.

All the buttons and stick were a cheap arcade set from ebay, all plugged into one of my multifire boards to make the wiring simple. Speedy Box came from Jameco.

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2955.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

All these new games being patched gave me the impetus to finish my multifire joystick.

I still need to add weights and non-slip feet but it works and feels excellent.

The buttons are, from the bottom, left to right, Fire 2, Fire 1, Fire 3 so the middle button is the primary one, the lower button is Fire 2 (smart bomb in Dropzone/Defender) and Fire 3 is under my ring finger. The switch remaps Fire 3 to UP for games where up is jump or flying kick. The two side buttons are Left/Right for pinball flipper controls.

All the buttons and stick were a cheap arcade set from ebay, all plugged into one of my multifire boards to make the wiring simple. Speedy Box came from Jameco.

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2955.jpeg

You didn't 3-d print the enclosure?

23 hours ago, biobern said:

Thanks...

Bern

The Joy 2B + is compatible with the Sega Genesis game pad and also compatible with Atari 2600 for 2 buttons. Only with 2 resistors and using the paddle can you have 3 buttons in a simple way. The game list is updated as much as the free time allows

Regards

• Like 1

Just to confirm, I have some questions, since I have and old joystick I build myself from Arcade coin-op machine parts, and I want to add the 3 button functionality:

1- I just need to connect button 2 an 3 to pins 9 and 5 respectively.. right?

2- Also add pull up resistors to those pins ( 9 an 5 )   and connect  these resistors to +5vdc (pin 7)

3- Is 330 ohms (not Kohms) still the recommended value for these resistors?

Thanks

2 hours ago, CZroe said:

Is it not possible for Atari 2600 homebrew or Atari 8-bit home computer software to discern between the two buttons on a ProLine joystick or gamepad (CX-24 or CX-78)? You know: like a 7800 ProSystem can do.

The tests in Atari 2600 are not carried out personally by a friend who told me that it worked for those games modified for two buttons. (not for normal games)

There is a list in the 2600 atariage subforum, for reasons of time I didn't find it to put it here.?

On your question of 7800 see this image and you will see the small difference with the Joy 2B+

6787181560388726692.jpg

Regards

On 11/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, biobern said:

Sorry, what I said here is NOT TRUE. Most of the games did not keep their original keyboard keys. That means they can NOT be played with a one or two buttons joystick. So, Defender still cannot be played with a genesis controller, cause Hyperspace is missing. Dropzone works with a genesis, cause you can still press "any key" to cloak. Would be great if everybody would leave a note whether the patch needs 2 or 3 buttons and whether or not the original keyboard keys are still there.

Bern

On 11/9/2019 at 7:56 PM, biobern said:

Sorry, what I said here is NOT TRUE. Most of the games did not keep their original keyboard keys. That means they can NOT be played with a one or two buttons joystick. So, Defender still cannot be played with a genesis controller, cause Hyperspace is missing. Dropzone works with a genesis, cause you can still press "any key" to cloak. Would be great if everybody would leave a note whether the patch needs 2 or 3 buttons and whether or not the original keyboard keys are still there.

Bern

Now I understand you, it is not a bad idea to make a catalog with that information. When I have some time I will do it on the github project wiki.

Regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

Thank you, that's a great list!

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

Defender Support is added by holding the keys

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

Really? The keys ("Space" and "any key") do not work for me.

Or did you upload a new version?

Cheers

Bern

Good news: The Sega MegaDrive (Genesis) Arcade Power Sticks work as 2 Button Controllers without modification. Despite the stupid quickfire/turbo functions. Very stable and ergonomic. The 3rd button, as everybody knows from the normal Genesis controller, does not work.

https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Power_Stick

Edited by biobern