IGNORED

2 button joystick ?

R0ger

23 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

My cheap Sanwa copies look the same too, I feel they have too much travel, at the top of a balltop its quite a long swing to push the microswitch button. Sanwa make stronger springs for people who prefer a stiffer action, that may make it feel a little more Happ like but really I think the ring on the end of the joystick rod that touches against the microswitch buttons needs to be a little bigger so the buttons are already half pushed.

Maybe you can just try it out. The octagonal restrictor costs between 1$ (if ordered in china) and 6$ (original).

Bern

On 11/5/2019 at 8:58 AM, Gunstar said:

I also do this (swap original game with hacked version) with all the games that are being sprite hacked by TIX and others.

But I'm going to be giving a system to a friend that includes only an upgraded 800XL, SDrive max and The!Cart, and in his case, media will have the original and what I deem to be the best hacked version (where there are multiple versions released, like TIX did with Moon Patrol and other hacks). It's been over a decade since this friend had an 8-bit, so I want him to be able to remember and compare. He's not an online Atari fan (yet) or part of the Atari community, so I'm making sure The!Cart and the SD card are packed with pretty much the entire Atari library, old and new games, new hacks, cracked .ATR's, .XEX's and authentic .ATX versions, so he doesn't have to go look for anything and do it all himself online. I already have pretty much all of it downloaded, so I can just copy it all over. He won't have an SIO2PC to reflash The!Cart with, so it's got to be packed with all the roms I can find, so there is no need to reflash. He could of course copy ATR/ATX/XEX's to the SD card on SDrive max, but I'll save him the trouble since I already did it.

is there a sight to down load the game list you have?

No, just a ton of games I've downloaded from the usual sites like Atarimania, Fandal, Homesoft, Holmes, Mr. Bacardi, Vjetnam and other Atari 8-bit archive sites or direct from Atari Age when new home-brews are posted. Then I just copy files over to my Atari via SIO2PC and APE software onto SDX HD partitions or FAT partition on a CF card for MyIDE II or Incognito, or I make real floppies of the ATR's too. But I don't even know what I have at this point, it's dozens of folders within folders, mixed file types everywhere under one big umbrella folder named 'Atari 800/XL/XE.' I have started organizing all my files, slowly, a folder at a time into program type and genre folder in alphabetical order for when I do want to transfer them all onto the SD card for the SDrive-Max device, and for transferring to MyIDE II or Incognito SDX HDD partitions. I have some stuff already transferred, quite a bit, but a small fraction of what I have, but one, uniform folder set for every device on all my Atari's is what I'm after eventually.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread recently.  I'm very excited by the idea and glad to see many great games already patched to use more than one button.

Lately, I have been using my two CX78 Europads on my 8-bit.  Seems like I've really gotten used to d-pads, and tend to prefer them now.  I prefer to keep my 8-bit as "Atari" as possible so have been using the CX78s instead of modded Genesis or SMS pads.  

I know that the two buttons of the 7800 controllers won't register separately on the 8-bit.  Is it possible to modify them so that they would be compatible with the 2 button modded games?  That would make the CX78s even more useful on my 8-bit.

If it's possible, what would I need to do to modify them?  

On 2/4/2020 at 3:50 AM, doomguy said:

Lately, I have been using my two CX78 Europads on my 8-bit.  Seems like I've really gotten used to d-pads, and tend to prefer them now.  I prefer to keep my 8-bit as "Atari" as possible so have been using the CX78s instead of modded Genesis or SMS pads.  

I know that the two buttons of the 7800 controllers won't register separately on the 8-bit.  Is it possible to modify them so that they would be compatible with the 2 button modded games?  That would make the CX78s even more useful on my 8-bit.

If it's possible, what would I need to do to modify them?  

Sure, it is possible. Just connect the 2nd button as shown. Everything else should work as it is. The Genesis Pad does not have to be modded, the 2nd button happens to work as it is, the 3rd does not. The SMS pad on the other hand has to be modded with a resistor. 

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A game I can put forward for modification - would be - Thrust?

Haven't played this in ages - but from memory - I think that it'll be sweet to have it modified for 2 button joystick usage.

To use the controller instead of a keyboard - so that you'll have the expected rotation for left/right, and down for thrust, and up for tractor beam.  But also the button 1 for thrust, and button 2 for tractor beam - should be an improvement over the default settings?  Buttons are there for those who prefer using them?

Would give an incentive to replay this game all over again, to see if it's easier now?

Harvey

26 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Spyhunter would also be a good candidate for conversion.  I, also, haven't played it in ages, but IIRC, you needed to use the button on a second joystick to release the oil slick & smoke shield.

From post #57, it's already on the GIT server

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/tree/master/games

5 hours ago, ascrnet said:

joy2b2.thumb.png.cee6e0adfaf4d3da7520d0b915a9f62d.png

New game "Thrust" and a contribution from Eyvind that made the support for the Lode Runner version of 150 levels ?

wiki updated!!!!

Greetings

Can't seem to be able to download a running file of Thrust.  Comes up with only save as HTML - which of course is the wrong format.

But there's no other option available.  Didn't have this problem in the past, so what's up?

Harvey

Works for me under "retro" Win XP 32Bit. It's on Github, that means you always have to click several times, until you get the XEX (typical for Github, Sourceforge and various other pages).

- click on "download each game"

- click on "Thrust.XEX" (you still will not get it here!)

- click on "Download" or "View RAW"

- now a window should open, with the XEX file you want to download

If the Github page also contains sources you have to click even more often to download the XEX. And if you want to download several XEX files, maybe use a download manager that will download all stuff in one go...

4 hours ago, kiwilove said:

Can't seem to be able to download a running file of Thrust.  Comes up with only save as HTML - which of course is the wrong format.

But there's no other option available.  Didn't have this problem in the past, so what's up?

Harvey

the easiest way is to go to the repository index https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus

you will see a green clone or download button click

and finally download, I attach a small image
Captura.PNG.727ffec0dfc88a08bdda4de4d08153c6.PNG

with this option you download all the files in zip

regards

• Thanks 1

Duoh!  I didn't see the download button that was on the screen....

If you want to modify another game to make use of 2 fire buttons - here is a nice candidate?

Hawkquest - the 8mbit flashcart version

Currently the bombing is done by pressing the joystick down (or up) and pressing fire at the same time.

This is one tough game that should be that little bit easier with 2 button support.

Harvey

On 4/6/2020 at 4:07 PM, kiwilove said:

Hawkquest - the 8mbit flashcart version

wow great candidate but my knowledge at the moment is little to be able to modify a cartridge ?

but two more games are added to the list :

• Line-up  (Eyvind contribution)
  • Kason's Tower

I hope in the future to be able to modify more games, since there are still some pending.?

wiki updated!!!!

regards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 3:14 AM, ascrnet said:

asking if PADDL0 or PADDL1 is equal to 228, check the example https://github.com/ascrnet/TestJoy2B/blob/master/TestJ2b.asm

regards

Hi,

the way you described works well for my joystick, but the test program itself: TestJ2b.asm

checks PADDL0 value and if it is not 1, then joystick is not detected:

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
	cmp #1
	beq existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

Could you please change it to:

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
	cmp #$e4
	bne existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

so it does not depend on the value of the resistor?

I used 4k7 and my joystick shows '3' (and not '1') when pressed.

Thanks!

Regards

Marcin

3 hours ago, TheMontezuma said:

Hi,

the way you described works well for my joystick, but the test program itself: TestJ2b.asm

checks PADDL0 value and if it is not 1, then joystick is not detected:

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
	cmp #1
	beq existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

Could you please change it to:

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
	cmp #$e4
	bne existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

so it does not depend on the value of the resistor?

I used 4k7 and my joystick shows '3' (and not '1') when pressed.

Thanks!

Regards

Marcin

Hi,

That example only detects only one button, the bad thing about changing the resistance that many games already modified will not work for you since the value 1 or 228 is needed.

Another detail that the value 228 is by default for PADDL0 and PADDL1.

To validate the two buttons is easy

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
        and PADDL1
	cmp #1
	beq existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

regards

Edited by ascrnet
Another detail

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

Hi,

That example only detects only one button, the bad thing about changing the resistance that many games already modified will not work for you since the value 1 or 228 is needed.

Another detail that the value 228 is by default for PADDL0 and PADDL1.

To validate the two buttons is easy

; Valida Joystick 2b+
joy2b
	lda PADDL0
        and PADDL1
	cmp #1
	beq existe
no_joystick 
	mensaje error
	jmp joy2b
existe 
	mensaje ok

regards

I understand from what you wrote before is that one shall compare the "paddle" value with 228 (as you do it in your example).

If it is different than 228, the button is pressed.

You can check out modified JoyTest.

It works for me and it will work for anybody.

TestJ2b.xex

21 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

I understand from what you wrote before is that one shall compare the "paddle" value with 228 (as you do it in your example).

You can check out modified JoyTest.

It works for me and it will work for anybody.

TestJ2b.xex 775 B · 1 download

I understand you, detecting a different value is not a bad idea. but making that change is not good for all already modified games and the altirra emulator.

Another data because it must be one, so it is compatible with 2600 and with the sega games pad, with this it is compatible with more games that were designed asking for the value 1 to detect if there is a gamepad with a second button.

The resistance value was not random, the most compatible with what exists was sought.?

Regards

• Like 1

For what it’s worth, the few mods I’ve made detect any value that’s not 228 as a (released) button, and that’s because the mods I looked at to figure out how it’s done did that.

48 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

This is the opposite of Joy2B+. The paddle value is 228 if the button is pressed or not connected at all, low (I’ve read 1-3 for Sega controllers) if the button is connected but not being pressed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

This is the opposite of Joy2B+. The paddle value is 228 if the button is pressed or not connected at all, low (I’ve read 1-3 for Sega controllers) if the button is connected but not being pressed.

Sure, you are right.

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

Another data because it must be one, so it is compatible with 2600 and with the sega games pad, with this it is compatible with more games that were designed asking for the value 1 to detect if there is a gamepad with a second button.

The resistance value was not random, the most compatible with what exists was sought.?

I see. I will exchange the resistors in my joystick in that case.

3 hours ago, TheMontezuma said:

I see. I will exchange the resistors in my joystick in that case.

It is the best for you to take advantage of all the modified games and you can make your own programs using the altirra emulator for testing.?

There are several projects to put more buttons on the ATARI, but this one is easy and has many games.?

Greetings

• Like 1