IGNORED

Does anything else work with a PS2 power supply?

Zap!

Long story short, I just got a PS2 with no power supply, and ordered one on eBay. Shipment is taking forever, and I'm off this weekend. It's the PS2 slim, 70,000 series (two part power supply, small hole in the back). So before it comes, does anything else work with it that's safe to use? I have about 50 different systems, so I have plenty to choose from. Or even if Target sells something that I can buy and return when it arrives. I thought the PS1 or PS3 would be the same, but those are one-part supplies.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Zap!

I don't know exactly what the power supply says, but I can confirm that the same power supply will work for the PS2 slim and the PS One. Just powered up both of mine with the same adapter. I will say that on the bottom of the PS One, it says to use a 7.5 VDC adapter and the PS2 slim says 8.5 VDC. I think I'm using the PS2 power supply, so not sure if it works the other way around or not...

I don't know exactly what the power supply says, but I can confirm that the same power supply will work for the PS2 slim and the PS One. Just powered up both of mine with the same adapter. I will say that on the bottom of the PS One, it says to use a 7.5 VDC adapter and the PS2 slim says 8.5 VDC. I think I'm using the PS2 power supply, so not sure if it works the other way around or not...

Thanks for the reply, but there are actually two PS2 slims. I have the original (700xx), which requires a brick to be attached to that 2 prong (which is the port on the PS1 and the second PS2 slim, the 9000x). My PS2 slim needs both. Here's my port:

post-12488-0-80745200-1526706011_thumb.jpg

All SOME ps2 SLIMS use a brick, ps2 fat systems use a cord only.

I specifically mentioned ps one not ps1. The small white ps one, uses a brick and cord just as the some ps2 slims do.

Here I have a few broken ones. You can see it is called PS one on the cover and uses the same dc plug it says 7.5v -to+

post-25078-0-02493300-1526731650_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, but there are actually two PS2 slims. I have the original (700xx), which requires a brick to be attached to that 2 prong (which is the port on the PS1 and the second PS2 slim, the 9000x). My PS2 slim needs both. Here's my port:

Those power supplies are the same, save from the wiring method.

In one, you bring the mains from a 8-figure power cord, on the second, it's a wall hog, but it doesn't change the output.

In such small electronics, voltage isn't critical. 7,5V or 8,5V, same thing. You could even use a 9V power supply for testing.

• Like 1

All ps2 SLIMS use a brick, ps2 fat systems use a cord only.

I specifically mentioned ps one not ps1. The small white ps one, uses a brick and cord just as the ps2 slim does.

Here I have a few broken ones. You can see it is called PS one on the cover and uses the same dc plug it says 7.5v -to+

Sorry, by PS One I thought you actually meant PS1 (I forgot that their second PS1 model was called that). I have a PS1 original.

Actually, all PS2 Slims do not use a brick. The later revisions had internal power supplies, and used the 2 prong that the original. Here's something that says the differences, and also a pic is attached.

Anyway, I got some good news. Tracking finally showed, and it is scheduled to arrive on Monday. Can't wait to test it out.

post-12488-0-84225800-1526743608_thumb.jpg

All 700xx series used that power jack. It's the 9000x that didn't.

I never said anything about the 9000x. I said the 700xx series, that you said that you have, that I said that I have, uses the same power jack as the PS One that I have. Is there some miscommunication here? You seem to keep saying I'm wrong on something and correcting something that I didn't even say anything about.

• Like 1

I never said anything about the 9000x. I said the 700xx series, that you said that you have, that I said that I have, uses the same power jack as the PS One that I have. Is there some miscommunication here? You seem to keep saying I'm wrong on something and correcting something that I didn't even say anything about.

My bad, I didn't mean at all to sound like I was correcting you at all. The first post was totally my fault, not knowing that a "PS One" was the name of the revamped model. The second time I was just stating the differences in case some were confused (not you). I know you and the others have all helped me, and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short, I just got a PS2 with no power supply, and ordered one on eBay. Shipment is taking forever, and I'm off this weekend. It's the PS2 slim, 70,000 series (two part power supply, small hole in the back). So before it comes, does anything else work with it that's safe to use? I have about 50 different systems, so I have plenty to choose from. Or even if Target sells something that I can buy and return when it arrives. I thought the PS1 or PS3 would be the same, but those are one-part supplies.

Thanks in advance!

They seem to work quite well with the Genesis 2 and X'Eye, the voltage is a little bit lower than the original PSUs for those but it gets stepped down to 5V anyway. If you really wanted to, you could build little adapter dongles so you can use it with a multitude of systems, this is actually what I do for most of my consoles.
  • Like 1

They seem to work quite well with the Genesis 2 and X'Eye, the voltage is a little bit lower than the original PSUs for those but it gets stepped down to 5V anyway. If you really wanted to, you could build little adapter dongles so you can use it with a multitude of systems, this is actually what I do for most of my consoles.

Damn I never tried that. Oh well, it came in the mail last week and all is good!