IGNORED

How much do you appreciate ingame music, and name your favorites please!

Marius

Ingame Music  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you appreciate ingame music?

• I hate it. Games with ingame music are pure evil.
    • I am not a fan, if I can turn it off, I will do that at once. If not, I tolerate it.
    • It's ok, but it is not that important for me.
    • Oh yes, ingame music adds certainly something to the game, but eventually every tune gets annoying.
    • I love ingame music, it's a main part of the game experience! The more, the better.
    • What ingame? What game? I only listen to the music...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A8: Jet Set Willy 2007, Mr. Do!, Ghostbusters, Beef Drop and Rainbow Walker

All time favorite in-game music 3DO Return Fire :music:

One of the better shooter/shmups put to music: classical music kicks in during intense gameplay and really helps drive the pace with extra adrenaline.

Incredibly destructive battle fields & enemies with little enemy soldiers you can run over! :evil:

edit/addition

You wind up destroying enemies and buildings to the pace and driving rhythms of the classical music. :-o

Different and I don't really care much for fighting games but 3DO Way of the Warrior with White Zombie soundtrack!

The game was a MK clone and parody but the music matching the fighting and overall mood and tone of the game: really good fit! Angry, dark, weird, scary and more than a little goofy.

I have stated elsewhere in a few different posts and replies that good, appropriate music that is rhythmically matched to the pace of the game can really add to the experience.

Music can ruin a game and sometimes it makes sense to be able to turn off music and keep on just sfx.

Occasionally I'll put on Jet Set Willy 2007 in emulation just to hear the music! :cool:

Thank you very much Rob Hubbard and xxl!

Edited by Fingolfin

Did you ever play Secret of Monkey Island II .... that has a very brilliant music system too. There is a main theme on the roads in the village, but as soon as you enter one of the houses/places next to one of the roads, the music slowly changes, but the main theme still keeps 'alive'... it is pretty amazing how they did that too.

Oh yes, it's one of my favorites. The interactive music engine was unique to LucasArts and appears in all their DOS games from the early 1990s. It's called iMUSE and it was really innovative for its time. I think the sound, music, graphics, and gameplay of all the SCUMM-based games from that era hold up well today. Especially the recent "remastered editions," of course.

X-Wing and TIE Fighter used iMUSE to great effect during space battles, but when they "updated" the game for Windows 95, they didn't bring the music engine along. Instead, the updates (and subsequent sequels) streamed clips of the old movie soundtrack from the CD. It had more "fidelity" but a lot less soul.

So here's a "sound font" to play the original games with better MIDI instruments (works in other DOS games, too!)

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/miscellaneous/music-dos-versions-x-wing-tie-fighter-virtualmidisynth/

and further down in the comments is a link to an alternate sound file you can put into the game folder to have MIDI-style music even in the later remade versions.

• Like 2

I would much rather have good sound effects. If music is not intrinsic to the gameplay it does not belong. At the most there can be a short musical theme for finishing levels, completing achievements, etc.

Mountain King is the only thing I can think of that handles music correctly. The music changes volume as the player gets closer to the goal. Not that this is the only game that uses music as an integral part of game play -- there may be more, but this is the only one I can think of.

A continuously running techno rock score is an annoyance. If the option is there to turn it off, it gets turned off.

• Like 3

There are quite some people who find any song annoying eventually. That does NOT surprise me, although I do not experience that.

There is this Antic game: Elevator Repair man, with the peter gunn theme. It is so simple... and I still love it.

Haha.

• Like 4

For me, personally.

1. Ballblazer - Awesome music that never I never get tired of. I think it sounds much better than the C64 sid version.

2. Warhawk - Again, the music (In my opinion) is better than the C64 version - which is also awesome. The Atari version just sounds cleaner, and has great bass sounds.

3. Jet Set Willy - This is my favourite Hubbard music on the Atari, just superb.

4. 180 Darts - I don't know why, but this tune just fits the game perfectly, and without it the game would feel a bit flat.

5. ElektraGlide - Wouldn't be the same game without the great music. Do agree with the other comment about the music stopping when you hit something.

6. Panther - Better on the C64, but the Atari version is also great.

Edited by 80s_Atari_Guy
  • Like 2