IGNORED

Cdi information?

Agreed, an MPEG card is a must for any CDI - several games require it, as does most of the interesting/curious/exclusive stuff (Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales", The Cure's "Show", Thyssen's "Von der Elbe an die Spree" (a promo CDI that was part of that company's massive campaign to make our government fund a Transrapid connection between Hamburg and Berlin), etc.).

I also strongly recommend to getting a model with a builtin MPEG card, you'll save yourself some money in the long run. I had a Tandy model and ended up getting a LG DVS 900 as it was significanlt cheaper than finding a MPEG card. You can actually see what you are shooting at in the CD-I version of Madd Dog McCree compared the 3DO and SegaCD versions, shooting with the sh!tty excuse for a light gun is another matter.

This depends on the model. Some of the more obscure models with them built in are not cheap. It is however pretty common to see 220s for sale that have the DVC included, and being that they are common models the prices should be more reasonable.

As far as the CD-I gun, yeah, it's not very responsive. I recommend the mouse for gun games, it'll be super responsive and will feel pretty good. Obviously that's not how these games were meant to be played, but it's a step closer to actually being able to enjoy the games.

• Like 1

The main problems have already been mentioned, although for the controller issue there is an Arduino based workaround called SNEStoCDI. The advantage of the CDI being a very early CD based system is that there is neither regional lockout nor copy protection, so you can find every kind of software online, burn it to a CD-R, try it out and then decide whether an original copy is worth purchasing (I can recommend "The Apprentice", "Dimo's Quest" and "Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam" - the FMV games are also good if you like that style of games).

Does that top middle case have "Santa Claus" and "Alice" on it? Does that, by chance, have the Alice in Wonderland CD-i game on it?

I would like to get the Alice in Wonderland CD-i game sometime, not because I think it will be a good game, but I'm into all things Alice.

• Like 1

Does that top middle case have "Santa Claus" and "Alice" on it? Does that, by chance, have the Alice in Wonderland CD-i game on it?

I would like to get the Alice in Wonderland CD-i game sometime, not because I think it will be a good game, but I'm into all things Alice.

That actually says Santa Claus Mice

post-39068-0-79611800-1527471754.jpeg

Alice Cooper?

... I guess you mean "original" disc.

"teh romz" of it is not exactly that hard to find.

Right, it's more that I would like to have it from a collection standpoint than wanting to play the game.

That said, I would play it, if I owned it. Maybe not for long, though, depending on how terrible it may be.

• 3 months later...

100% agree! An Odyssey 2 mini would be really cool. I thought I saw something where OpCode is working on a system with Ed Averett being on board. Perhaps that will be a spiritual successor to the Odyssey 2 in some way? However, a Odyssey 2 mini would be much better than a Phillips CD-i mini, that's for sure!

Pretty sure they're just being polite.

If Philips were to get back into games, I would want them to revisit Videopac/Odyssey 2, not CD-i.

• 3 years later...

OK, old thread, I know. For some strange reason I REALLY want a CD-i and been watching them like crazy and this looks like a good thread to reply to.  Some of the titles are getting crazy money for but, at least they can be sampled on a CD-R.  Getting one from overseas with SCART can get me RGB, and I would be interested more than a US model if I can.

So, I am not 100% clean on my question.  Is there any problems with getting one from overseas (EU, or that side of the pond) with the voltage differences (220/110) ? 

And the games 50 vs 60hz,  This is hard coded into the Disc, not the player ?   Am I correct, it does not matter the player I get, as long as the disc I play is NTSC and not PAL ?

And it looks like I can build a SNEStoCDI very cool, I do not need a crazy cost controller, for now at least. 

I checked on the back of my CDi 220/60 and the power supply does say "100-240V 50-60Htz" so you're good on that front.

As far as I remember all CD-i can be internally forced to PAL and NTSC for "regular operation" (menus) and yes as far as I recall, the software will also force the CD-i in the desired mode.

In your case the composite video will remain PAL but since you'll be using RGB it doesn't matter at all.

Now I can't guarantee you that all CD-i players were made equal and that they all support "100-240V 50-60Htz".

Also make sure when you buy an European one that it feature the SCART output because later CD-i were made without it.

If you wanna look for one, focus on the Netherland and France since those are the two countries where the CD-i sold the most (200 000 units in France, can't recall for Netherland but probably as high or even more)

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, CatPix said:

I checked on the back of my CDi 220/60 and the power supply does say "100-240V 50-60Htz" so you're good on that front.

As far as I remember all CD-i can be internally forced to PAL and NTSC for "regular operation" (menus) and yes as far as I recall, the software will also force the CD-i in the desired mode.

In your case the composite video will remain PAL but since you'll be using RGB it doesn't matter at all.

Now I can't guarantee you that all CD-i players were made equal and that they all support "100-240V 50-60Htz".

Also make sure when you buy an European one that it feature the SCART output because later CD-i were made without it.

If you wanna look for one, focus on the Netherland and France since those are the two countries where the CD-i sold the most (200 000 units in France, can't recall for Netherland but probably as high or even more)

Awesome, that cleared everything up ! Thanks ! They tend to be cheaper too for some reason. 

As long as all units with SCART output RGB, that should great...

Thanks !

On 10/6/2021 at 8:15 AM, CatPix said:

I grabbed a PAL CDI-210 with a SCART connector on it. I am hearing that that output on the 210 does not output RGB, just A/V.  Is there any truth to it ? 

If it's not, as it's got SCART is it an easy mod to get RGB working it ? 

I will have to deal with the Timekeeper chip on it, as it's dead (a Dremel and a CR2032 holder can fix it, does not look like a hard mod)

According to the manual and my (vague) memories, the CD-i 210 was avaible with SCART and RGB and with just composite video out.

https://www.musee-des-jeux-video.com/screenshots/Philips CDI/doc/Philips CD i 210 Manual (English).pdf

I have seen people adding back RGB on CD-i as most use the same video chip and even the whole board, meaning you just have to solder the missing components and a SCART output, but I can't guarantee it.

For the mod, it is very easy, you just have to be careful and take your time.

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

According to the manual and my (vague) memories, the CD-i 210 was avaible with SCART and RGB and with just composite video out.

https://www.musee-des-jeux-video.com/screenshots/Philips CDI/doc/Philips CD i 210 Manual (English).pdf

I have seen people adding back RGB on CD-i as most use the same video chip and even the whole board, meaning you just have to solder the missing components and a SCART output, but I can't guarantee it.

For the mod, it is very easy, you just have to be careful and take your time.

I have a Framemeister (man these things shot up in value !). So I can take SCART and it came with a SCART cable. So if the 210 will output RGB via SCART it's all good.

Somewhere I read that the 450ish had RGB on SCART and the lower ones just did composite over SCART, that is why I was wondering...

I'll do some testing tonight, I have not had time to play with it because the PS5 I was hunting for over 6 months now came in the same day... 

I've watched a few YouTube videos on the Timekeeper, looks pretty easy and I am pretty good with a soldering iron so no big deal. I just need to order a CR2032 holder.. Something I do not have in my spare parts bin (5 for like $5 on ebay so no biggie)

Edited by TheCoolDave