IGNORED

Atari 2600 Video Game Release Date Pages Are "Done"

Random Terrain

They're as done as I can get them until more information is found. At least the hard part is over. Now I can add fun stuff like popular commercials, new toys, new candy, and anything else that might "help summon your treasured memories" from those years or help those who weren't born yet to get more of an idea of what it was like to be alive back then.

NTSC Game Index
NTSC Game List by Company
Activision Release Dates From the Archives

I didn't make a 1990 page since no original NTSC games were released that year by a known video game company, but I'll probably end up doing it anyway after I finish another project.

• Like 24

Good job, Random Terrain.

Found a few differences with my own reseach.

For example: Up'n Down and Spy Hunter are from late 1984.

8)

Thanks. Any of the entries can be easily moved, so all I need is evidence to link to. Maybe some of these super extreme best guesses can be turned into plain old best guesses or maybe even 'no doubt' entries with your help and the help of others. I love entries that don't need some variation of a guess disclaimer.

• Like 1

I get the sense that with the shipping and communication of that period, "launch months" are as precise as we get (and certainly good enough for "historical" purposes).

I've seen the VCS launch date as September 11, 1977. What do you make of that? Is that realistic, or simply possible?

• Like 1

I get the sense that with the shipping and communication of that period, "launch months" are as precise as we get (and certainly good enough for "historical" purposes).

I've seen the VCS launch date as September 11, 1977. What do you make of that? Is that realistic, or simply possible?

I assumed that date meant "when some stores had it." At least we know it started getting into the stores in September.

Thanks. Any of the entries can be easily moved, so all I need is evidence to link to. Maybe some of these super extreme best guesses can be turned in to plain old best guesses or maybe even 'no doubt' entries with your help and the help of others. I love entries that don't need some variation of a guess disclaimer.

For Spy Hunter, Up'n Down and Tapper:

http://www.atarimania.com/2600/boxes/hi_res/spy_hunter_i_11.jpg

8)

• Like 1

For Spy Hunter, Up'n Down and Tapper:

http://www.atarimania.com/2600/boxes/hi_res/spy_hunter_i_11.jpg

8)

Thanks. I don't see a mention of the Atari 2600 anywhere on there. The games were also available for home computers. Where did that rebate come from? Was it in game boxes or at places that sold games?

This is awesome and lines up pretty closely with the dates I turned up. I will say the mcurrent Atari history pages have been revised for the first few years based on his research of old periodicals, so the dates he had for 78-79 may not be the same as they were a few months ago.

• Like 1

Thanks! I guess I was in such a hurry and focusing so much on The Video Game Update newsletter that I totally missed that. I also forgot about the ad from November 1984 in Electronic Games that shows the list of Sega games and three of them are marked "NEW." Tapper is already in November of 1984 for now, so I'll move the other two games there with it.

For anybody reading this, what is the etiquette for corrections? Am I supposed to make a note of it at the bottom of each entry as it happens or do I just move entries and not mention anything since the record of it is posted at AtariAge?

This is awesome and lines up pretty closely with the dates I turned up. I will say the mcurrent Atari history pages have been revised for the first few years based on his research of old periodicals, so the dates he had for 78-79 may not be the same as they were a few months ago.

I meant to reply to this earlier. I promised to convert one or two Atari BASIC books (or a combination of both) to work with batari Basic and put them online (I already got permission). After I get that done, I can go back and see if anything has changed, since it probably was a few months ago when I did those pages.

Very cool! Maybe you could also make a list that shows all of them sorted on release date? A lot of the years are mostly empty.

Also you seem to be missing klax. (The only reason I know is because I remember that being the last ever game released for the system. (Officially ofc))

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klax_(video_game)

• Like 1

I meant to reply to this earlier. I promised to convert one or two Atari BASIC books (or a combination of both) to work with batari Basic and put them online (I already got permission). After I get that done, I can go back and see if anything has changed, since it probably was a few months ago when I did those pages.

Are you planning on putting them on your site or publishing a batari basic book? I wouldn't mind helping with the second

• Like 1

Very cool! Maybe you could also make a list that shows all of them sorted on release date? A lot of the years are mostly empty.

Also you seem to be missing klax. (The only reason I know is because I remember that being the last ever game released for the system. (Officially ofc))

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klax_(video_game)

That's a PAL game, so it's not included. Somebody else can do PAL release date pages for other continents/countries.

Are you planning on putting them on your site or publishing a batari Basic book? I wouldn't mind helping with the second.

Just an online version, but thanks for the offer.