IGNORED

Colecovision Cartridge Opinions Wanted

veg-o-matic

I have it on good authority that my "new" Adam will be delivered shortly, so now it's time to start acquiring the accessories (always the most fun part, right?)

I've never been much of a gamer--Microsoft Solitaire or Mah Jongg is more my speed--but I did enjoy playing Buck Rogers when I had my original Adam. I'm looking to get a few CV cartridges and since I know practically nothing about any of the games, I'm looking for opinions. Here are my criteria:

1. Doesn't require lightning reflexes 'cause I just don't have 'em any more.

2. I'm not a huge fan of shoot-em-ups, Buck Rogers notwithstanding.

3. Shouldn't be rare/expensive/hard to find.

4. Should be reasonably easy to figure out. My biggest beef with video games has always been that I had no idea what I should be doing.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of Pac Man might be suitable but since I'm unfamiliar with almost all of the games around, my thoughts end there.

Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

1. Doesn't require lightning reflexes 'cause I just don't have 'em any more.

2. I'm not a huge fan of shoot-em-ups, Buck Rogers notwithstanding.

3. Shouldn't be rare/expensive/hard to find.

4. Should be reasonably easy to figure out. My biggest beef with video games has always been that I had no idea what I should be doing.

Check out:

Pepper II

Squish 'Em Sam

Miner 2049er

Bump 'N' Jump

Lady Bug

Pitstop

Defender (I know you said "no shooters," but Defender is a must-play on the Coleco IMO)

Gateway To Apshai

Donkey Kong Junior

Frogger

Mr. Do! (not really my kind of game, but it's very well-done and often comes highly recommended)

Most of these shouldn't cost much more than $10-15, which unfortunately is what qualifies as "cheap" for Coleco cartridges. Bump 'N' Jump runs a bit higher, but it's worth it.

If you ever change your mind about shooters, there are some great ones there, as well. :) (Galaxian = :-o )

Since you're getting an ADAM, be sure to check out some of the ADAM Super Game tapes as well!

Edited by BassGuitari

Check out:

Pepper II

Squish 'Em Sam

Miner 2049er

Bump 'N' Jump

Lady Bug

Pitstop

Defender (I know you said "no shooters," but Defender is a must-play on the Coleco IMO)

Gateway To Apshai

Donkey Kong Junior

Frogger

Mr. Do! (not really my kind of game, but it's very well-done and often comes highly recommended)

Most of these shouldn't cost much more than $10-15, which unfortunately is what qualifies as "cheap" for Coleco cartridges. Bump 'N' Jump runs a bit higher, but it's worth it.

Unless you're terribly impatient, or settle on single-cartridge purchases with silly shipping, nearly all these suggestions (which are pretty solid) as "just the cartridge" shouldn't run into that price range individually. I mean, they can, but afaik that isn't the expectation one should have going into this with the above list.

ETA: If you resign yourself to those prices on the above common to middling scarcity games, though, the math pretty much dictates purchase of an AtariMax flash cartridge, unless you have an aesthetic aversion to that solution.

Edited by mumbai
  • Like 1

If you prefer maze-style gaming, I'd personally add Mouse Trap and LadyBug to the above starter list.

ETA (sorry): Another stray thought... Defender is unplayable on an ADAM unless you acquire a patched ROM file of it.

Edited by mumbai

Do yourself a huge favor and buy:

- AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart and you can put hundreds of available CV rom files on the SD Card and play to your hearts content.

www.atarimax.com

- MicroFox Virtual Disk Drive and place all the best ADAM software that are available in disk image formatvon the SD Card and play to your hearts content.

ann.hollowdreams.com

This will save you a lot of time and money acquiring the original carts and then if you decide that you want to own the real physical carts, you will have a better idea of what to spend your hard earned money on.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input, guys! I really like the idea of having hundreds of games available on a single cartridge, but I also like the idea of owning a bunch of separate ones. At any rate, I think ideally, I would stumble across a boxful of cartridges at an estate sale or something and then take it from there.

Can't wait to "command the powers of Adam"!

• Like 1

ETA (sorry): Another stray thought... Defender is unplayable on an ADAM unless you acquire a patched ROM file of it.

Crap, you're right. Forgot all about that!

FWIW, eColeco(?) did produce a cartridge version of the patched Defender:

post-25956-0-71348000-1357341169.jpg

Edited by BassGuitari

• 2 weeks later...

All of the following games are really good on the ColecoVision:

Mr. Do

Mr. Do's Castle

Frogger

Defender

Centipede

Q*Bert

Popeye