IGNORED

Japanese Nintendo files for N64 trademark...

F34R

Welp.. classic coming?

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/998946666999894018

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/174148107484

Nintendo Apply For N64 Trademark

Nintendo Co., Ltd. have applied for a N64 trademark in Japan. Purposes include video game program, controller for game machine, joystick for video game machine, TV game machine and more. Full application added below…

Edited by F34R

If they do an N64 Classic Mini, I just hope the controllers will be better than on the original N64.

Will they use current 3rd party N64 replacement controllers, keeping the same input plug, I wonder? Iis everything USB on the other classics machines, or are any compatible with the original controllers?

Will they use current 3rd party N64 replacement controllers, keeping the same input plug, I wonder? Iis everything USB on the other classics machines, or are any compatible with the original controllers?

Neither. The NES Mini and Super-NES Mini use Wii ports for their controllers.

• Like 1

The NES and SNES sold better than the N64 and have bigger followings and loads of third party games to choose from.

I don't know how much an N64 will resonate in comparison with those other two systems, especially when Rare games will probably not appear at all on the system.

That's entirely my concern. Nintendo can pad out their own games, and I would imagine the LucasArts stuff is a 50/50 at best based on Disney. That would leave maybe Capcom again with MM64 and RE2 if NIntendo would even go for it (not.) Konami with the Mystical Ninja and maybe Hybrid Heaven (not likely.) The other stuff much of the licenses have been thrown around so much who knows. It wouldn't be a very good device if all it had were just Nintendo like 20 Nintendo games alone but I could see them be conceited enough to do it. They'd need to someone fill out probably 1/3 of them with 3rd party to be attractive to people who would care. Unless MS decides to grow up and allow Banjo, DK, and Conker to drop by to play it doesn't look good.

That's entirely my concern. Nintendo can pad out their own games, and I would imagine the LucasArts stuff is a 50/50 at best based on Disney. That would leave maybe Capcom again with MM64 and RE2 if NIntendo would even go for it (not.) Konami with the Mystical Ninja and maybe Hybrid Heaven (not likely.) The other stuff much of the licenses have been thrown around so much who knows. It wouldn't be a very good device if all it had were just Nintendo like 20 Nintendo games alone but I could see them be conceited enough to do it. They'd need to someone fill out probably 1/3 of them with 3rd party to be attractive to people who would care. Unless MS decides to grow up and allow Banjo, DK, and Conker to drop by to play it doesn't look good.

Well, on the other hand, if the list of N64 games is not exactly stellar, perhaps it will help to lower the price of the unit.

• Like 1

I doubt it. Nintendo would never want to do something they'd perceive as cheapening the value of their own first party games. Also given the higher complexity of the N64 vs SNES controller design I would expect it to be probably $90 with ONE controller and 20 games if it did exist.

Edited by Tanooki

Huh, I was really expecting a Game Boy classic mini to be Nintendo's next retro endeavor. An N64 one could be cool though, especially since I've never actually owned an N64 and it would be an affordable way to experience some of the system's highlights outside of Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 which I already have for my 3DS. Too bad it probably won't have Doom 64 on it though, since that's the only Doom game I've never played and I'd pick up an N64 Mini in an instant for the chance to finally play that game.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head I can think of these games:
Super Mario 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Mario Kart 64

Mario Party

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Super Smash Bros.

F-Zero X

Pokémon Snap

Paper Mario

Wave Race

Yoshi's Story

Starfox 64 / Lyat Wars

Donkey Kong 64 (made by Rare but it's in the Wii U VC so I assume it's possible).

Wish list (unlikely):
Doom 64

Resident Evil 2

In other words, the same old stuff they've been selling on Wii and Wii U Virtual Console for a decade.

I loved the N64 but I wouldn't be buying this lineup again. :(

Could be a good party system for people of the right age, though ... especially with 4 controllers for Mario Kart. And if Nintendo were to pull a rabbit out of its hat for Goldeneye, this would be the time.

Yep, this time there aren't even games that weren't on VC like Super FX games to warrant a purchase.

Well, there are some games that don't emulate well. Doom 64 is one of them, Rogue Squadron another.

It's also possible Nintendo is re-asserting its trademarks so they don't expire or get snatched by someone else, like we saw with Sega's ZAXXON.

• Like 2

It's quite possible, but rumors of an N64 Mini have been ongoing for some time. This is quite possibly the N64 Mini, although time will tell.

Well, there are some games that don't emulate well. Doom 64 is one of them, Rogue Squadron another.

It's also possible Nintendo is re-asserting its trademarks so they don't expire or get snatched by someone else, like we saw with Sega's ZAXXON.

It's quite possible, but rumors of an N64 Mini have been ongoing for some time. This is quite possibly the N64 Mini, although time will tell.

We don't know anything. Of course there are rumors ... what's easier than filling in the pattern 1, 2, ___ when we already have the NES and SNES minis? If Nintendo surprises us, that's OK too.

• Like 1

Agreed. If it is the N64 Mini, I wonder how many games and what specific games will come on it. Hopefully it is a good variety and not a low count like 12 or something.

We don't know anything. Of course there are rumors ... what's easier than filling in the pattern 1, 2, ___ when we already have the NES and SNES minis? If Nintendo surprises us, that's OK too.

Umm how does Doom 64 not emulate well? If you think it's the darkness (total light dropout) issue of Rogue Squadron it isn't. The game was badly made in that one respect that it was made way too dark out of the box. If you crank up the brightness on it, the contrast is still so bad you need to manually tweak an old CRT or even a LCD to get it to where you can see much of any walls in a shadowy/poor lit area.

Emulators though you can tweak those to correct the issue, and even the dude who did the Turok EX for PC that became the Turok Remastered 1 (and 2) before that did Doom64 EX. That one you have an assets transplant from the ROM itself but the coding to run it, including the lighting problem are all addressed. Likewise in a Nintendo 64 mini emulator box like that they'd clearly bump the brightness and contrast up so it's playable.

Agreed. If it is the N64 Mini, I wonder how many games and what specific games will come on it. Hopefully it is a good variety and not a low count like 12 or something.

Unless they made it an internet-only deal (no scalpers!) where you could choose the 12 games you want to play, and they'd load up a custom kit for you. Like custom M&Ms. I think that would be delightfully offbeat, and everyone's playlist would be unique. Imagine all the "think pieces" it would generate for bloggers and YouTubers!!

These would be my picks. Don't judge me, I like what I like and I can play Ocarina of Time on many other machines.

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
F-Zero X
Super Mario 64
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Tetrisphere
StarFox 64
Goldeneye 007
San Francisco Rush 2049
Space Station Silicon Valley
Doom 64
Mario Tennis

Although when I think about it, most early 3D games like on N64 have been remade or superseded elsewhere, and don't feel as "necessary/classic" as SNES games.

I can dig it. That would be pretty sweet if you had any 12 games you wanted loaded onto the system. I can definitely be behind that. Regarding your list, that is pretty solid too. No criticism from me. There are some really good titles there. However, I am afraid the 'official' version will have such staples like Ocarina of Time, Waverunner 64, Super Mario 64, etc. Still, I like the custom idea a heck of a lot.

Unless they made it an internet-only deal (no scalpers!) where you could choose the 12 games you want to play, and they'd load up a custom kit for you. Like custom M&Ms. I think that would be delightfully offbeat, and everyone's playlist would be unique. Imagine all the "think pieces" it would generate for bloggers and YouTubers!!

These would be my picks. Don't judge me, I like what I like and I can play Ocarina of Time on many other machines.

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
F-Zero X
Super Mario 64
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Tetrisphere
StarFox 64
Goldeneye 007
San Francisco Rush 2049
Space Station Silicon Valley
Doom 64
Mario Tennis

Although when I think about it, most early 3D games like on N64 have been remade or superseded elsewhere, and don't feel as "necessary/classic" as SNES games.